Advice Keyboards

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
So i had a Corsair K60 keyboard. it was lovely, I spilled a (whole) pint of water over it. many many keyboard recovery techniques failed to ever get it working again.

By the time I decided to write it off the Corsair K95 was out. I bought that.
over the course of five months;
a) I determined that the backplane was warped, it was unable to sit steadily on any truly flat surface, the problem was lessened by deploying the legs but I hate high-angle keyboardage, destroys my wrists.
b) potentially related to the warp, backlighting on random keys would not function at random times.
c) over the course of a few months key faults developed, wherein a keypress would not register and the key would literally need to be hammered 4-5 times to get a character out and/or keys would register multiple inputs from one keypress. I exhaustively stripped the keyboard down and cleaned it and reassembled it and the problem was not in any way alleviated - in actual fact there was no debris causing any obstruction anywhere.

determined that the keyboard was in fact fucked. manufacturing fucked. currently awaiting refund and collection from amazon.

Originally I was of the opinion that the K95 was the dogs danglies. even more so than the K60 before it. was a beautiful typing experience when new. however I'm not not confident I trust them enough to buy another K95.

so;
a) another K95, give them a second chance.
b) a K65 - I've had to downsize my computer desk, could potentially live with the narrower layout of a tenkeyless.
c) a DASkeyboard, may or may not be 88 key.
d) a Code keyboard, as above.
e) a WASD keyboard, as above.
f) Steelseries 7G
g) other?

I'm relatively feature agnostic, obviously the K95 had per-key backlighting, which quite frankly was awesome, but I don't need it, just like it. additionally on keyboard media controls are nice, but again, not necessary and lastly, the macro key bank was gnarly but again, does not complete me. basically what i want is the most lushest badass smooth accurate reliable typing experience, everything else is secondary.

also appreciate comments on o-ring dampeners and whether you feel they a) genuinely help suppress the sound and b) how much they affect the typing feel.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I have one of these; http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/washable-keyboard-k310

They look pretty apple faggy, but I like it, it's relatively quiet when typing, it's small, but not too small, and I game, and write shit with it, not really had a problem with it, and most importantly, it's mega mega stupidly water resistant :)

Hah, i've seen that before. water poisoning has never actually happened to me before, it's just that on this occasion i had raging flu and had had to literally drag myself out of bed to email some documents for work, i was weak as a day old kitten, i went to pick up the pint glass and i literally couldn't take the weight of it and dropped it. all. over. the. K60. and then cried like a baby because i was an emotional wreck.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I've heard good things about Ducky's, had looked at that one but had discounted it as too visually busy on the keycaps

Heh, my bad. Mine doesn't have all the extra crap on the keys so it must be the http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/ZERO_DK2108.html From their rep and my experience of this keyboard I'd say they're well worth considering if they do a model with the features you need. Admittedly this is my first mechanical keyboard so I don't know if they're all like this but it feels solid enough to use to smash in a zombie's skull without breaking and I appreciate that.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Heh, my bad. Mine doesn't have all the extra crap on the keys so it must be the http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/ZERO_DK2108.html From their rep and my experience of this keyboard I'd say they're well worth considering if they do a model with the features you need. Admittedly this is my first mechanical keyboard so I don't know if they're all like this but it feels solid enough to use to smash in a zombie's skull without breaking and I appreciate that.
well, that's not ALL mechanical keyboards, but it describes all the ones i listed... solid steel backplane is a normal feature of a quality mechanical keyboard. metal chassis is also fairly common, the corsair has both. plus an axe sharp edge, it's like it was designed as a backup zombie slayer.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have one of these and it's ace. No frivolities like a backlight. It's well robust and withstands my ham fisted key mashing like a champ. Only thing I have against it is that it is...ooh about 5mm higher than I would like it to be. If it was slightly lower it would be perfect.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I have one of these and it's ace. No frivolities like a backlight. It's well robust and withstands my ham fisted key mashing like a champ. Only thing I have against it is that it is...ooh about 5mm higher than I would like it to be. If it was slightly lower it would be perfect.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060
Good call TdC, i was contemplating one of these, they seem reasonably priced. Grrr why is a keyboard one of those things where you can only realistically justify buying one.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I thought, "Hmmm, that coolermaster one looks pretty good, lets just see how much it... JAYSUS!! £120!!!??"

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
"water" resistant. Yeah, that's what it is, "water".
If you're referring to sticky substances, a brush comes with it, and the buttons are raised, so you can easily clean underneath it.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have a Corsair K70 and it's an awesome keyboard.

Best keyboard I have ever bought. Always had and been very impressed with Logitech keyboards but the K70 is by far superior.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Logitech illuminated, i love this keyboard, its low profile keys and not mechanical.. I hate high profile keyboards.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
41F7plY4XaL.jpg

HP, very basic, very good, maybe 15€ :p

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved

Best keyboard I have ever bought. Always had and been very impressed with Logitech keyboards but the K70 is by far superior.
I agree, both the K60 and K95 were amazing, but my confidence was very shaken by the faults with the K95. I might well come back to them at some point but for now I want to give something else a go.

Had a potch with a Razer Blackwidow today, with MX Blue switches. Not sure what they has done to it but they were very rattly. Also had a bash with a Coolermaster / CM Trigger. If you like MX Red switches then you might really like it. Has MX Black switches, Very tight action, very positive, precise. I might have bought it if it wasn't for the fact that it was about £30 cheaper online. Interesting design/paint job also, would be a VERY good match for a Corsair C70 case (the one that looks like an ammo tin).

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I use the Logitech G110 - got it after my G11 drank a whole beer can and died :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

That's the one I have my eye on...if I can keep within my PC budget, or the wife allows me to go over a little.

Otherwise I will stick with my trusty old G15 from back when Logitech made quality products.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Out of curiosity anyone got a Logitech g710? Man in the shop wouldn't take one out of the box to let me have a bash. Twat :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
Previous board was a G15 which was nice but a bit over kill and my current is a MS Ergo 4000 which is also nice but the print comes off the keys fairly easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom