Just thought i'd leave this here for GFX card hunters

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Mmmm. Nice piece of kit. Shame my R9 290 is already in use, else I'd steal that.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The 800 series are due in a month or two, and the 880 is meant to a very high performance/low cost card, probably explains the 780 price drop.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
surprised they'd release an 800 series so soon tbh, the 700's still don't max out on current games, the 800's would just be a waste for a good year or two.

In fact after looking it up

"What is unclear is what performance levels will be offered by the new GPUs. Theoretically, the GeForce GTX 880 should be faster than the GeForce GTX 780, however, that graphics card is based on the GK110 GPU, which is the world’s most complex graphics processor ever designed and which is probably more expensive to make than the GM204."

Sounds to be like the GTX 880's are a bit misleading in which case and prob are equal to or lesser than GTX 780's.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
surprised they'd release an 800 series so soon tbh, the 700's still don't max out on current games, the 800's would just be a waste for a good year or two.

The launch announcement is next month, so probably oct/nov/dec for availability.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The launch announcement is next month, so probably oct/nov/dec for availability.

Ah well, i'd say still go with the 780's, if the prices are dropping on them because of the 800 series now is a prime time to snap one up, especially if that article reigns true and the 880's are in theory not as good/equal to 780's.

Overdriven

Unless the new chips are pushing optimised 4k, what's the point?

Nothing demanding out anyway?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye, at the rate games are progressing graphic wise gfx card seem to be overtaking them by a long stretch, you could prob run every game on the market currently at ultra settings off a GTX 770, if you can snap up a GTX 780 for future proofing however I don't see a reason not to.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
4k at higher settings?

It's not like 4k with reasonable settings is out of range. a £300-350 gpu and a £400-500 monitor and you can run most games in mid-high @4k.

Sure if you wanna run 4k in ultra you can have 2 sli cards but its not that necessary.

Also as you go up to that kind of pixel density, you need anti aliasing less because the jaggy issue just isn't there.

Overdriven

@BloodOmen Yeah, that's true. I remember seeing the massive jump a few years back "omg this gpu is awesome etcetc", but now it's a bit bland.

@ECA - I get the point (Considering I'm looking in that area now), but with such high entry costs for 2x 770+ and a 4k/1440+ monitor it's going to only allow the enthusiasts to play the game at that level.

I'd love a 4k monitor and the power to run it: I could shell out for another 290, but there's no point. Maybe in a year when we've actually got a better selection of monitors / when the "current high end" GPUs are < £250. Curious what happens when Nvidia/AMD have fully functional GPUs which run everything on ultra@4k.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
@BloodOmen Yeah, that's true. I remember seeing the massive jump a few years back "omg this gpu is awesome etcetc", but now it's a bit bland.

@ECA - I get the point (Considering I'm looking in that area now), but with such high entry costs for 2x 770+ and a 4k/1440+ monitor it's going to only allow the enthusiasts to play the game at that level.

I'd love a 4k monitor and the power to run it: I could shell out for another 290, but there's no point. Maybe in a year when we've actually got a better selection of monitors / when the "current high end" GPUs are < £250. Curious what happens when Nvidia/AMD have fully functional GPUs which run everything on ultra@4k.

Then there will be 8k to work on, there will always to something else

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Running 2 x 780GTX cards with 3 x 24" monitors 5960x1080 full settings, nothing yet has caused any graphical related FPS issues. Might be interesting to do 2 x widescreen 4K's with a standard 1080p information screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom