Just an Idea - Very LONG Post :)

A

Asha

Hope this isn't too hard to read.
If it doesn't go in RvR, then feel free to move :p
I am sure I missed lots of things ^^

FG vs. FG Arena Zones

Four new Arena Zones (AZs) for FG vs. FG vs. FG fighting

There will be four different level zones. Zone 1 being the lowest, and Zone 4 being the highest. These zones will contain no portal keeps, mile gates, or guards. These zones will contain mobs, villages with neutral merchants, ruins, and various terrain. You begin in AZ1 and if you win, you progress to AZ2, 3 and finally 4. If you lose, then you leave AZ1. (Wins and Losses will be covered further later on.)

I. Entering AZ1
A. Medallion Sets – The normal medallion merchant in your portal keep will now be able to sell medallion sets for AZ1.
1. If AZ1 already has a FG from your realm, then the merchant will only be able to sell ONE set. Once AZ1 is occupied and there is another FG waiting, then the merchant will not have any sets to sell until the group waiting has ported. Once the group waiting has ported, the merchant can sell a medallion set to the first GL who tries to buy from him.
2. Only Group Leaders (GL) can purchase medallion sets. He must be GL of a group of 8 AND have 8 slots in his inventory available, otherwise he cannot purchase a medallion set. The group can be any classes and any levels, just has to be 8.***
3. When your GL purchases a set, 8 AZ1 medallions will appear in his inventory. He must distribute these to all group members.
B. Porting – Once you have a set of medallions, you may have to wait for the group from your realm in AZ1 to either die or progress to AZ2. This may take some time, but it should be worth it.
1. If AZ1 is empty or if the group from your realm in AZ1 dies or progresses to AZ2, then your whole group will receive a message giving you notice that you have 3 minutes to have your entire group on the portal pad with medallions on. You will receive this message immediately if AZ1 is empty.
2. Once this 3 minutes has past 2 things can happen.
a. Your entire group is on the portal pad with medallions on – You will all port.
b. One or more people from your group is not on the portal pad or do not have a medallion on – You all lose your medallions. In this case the merchant will again be able to sell a set of medallions to the next GL of 8 who tries to buy from him. This means that you may lose your place if your group is not paying attention. This will greatly reduce the waiting time for everyone.
3. Your group will be ported to a random place in AZ1. You will have a 3-minute immunity timer. This will give you time to buff and get ready. There is a possibility that you will port near one (or both) of the other two realm groups, however because you have 3 minutes to buff and move, this should not be an issue. The other groups can follow you, but this does not give an advantage to either group as your group could easily move to an area that benefits your group.
4. LDs/Relogs – Once you have ported, if you go LD or try to relog, then you cannot reenter any AZ. An LD/logout will be counted as a LOSS. (More info on wins losses and points to come.) This is to prevent people from purposely LDing to avoid losing. Please note that if you go LD in any part of the game, then you are likely to suffer a death or even an exp death, so it is logical that there would be a penalty for going LD.
C. Fighting, Winning and Losing
1. Fighting – Once you have entered an AZ and your 3-minute immunity timer wears off, you have 20 minutes to engage another group.
a. If you do not engage an enemy in this time, then you will be ported out of the AZ. This will not count as a win or a loss.
b. This timer is reset each time your group does any damage. If you go 20 minutes without doing any damage, then you will be ported out of the AZ. This does not count as a loss.
c. The exception to this rule is if you are in the AZ alone. In this case your timer will not begin until an enemy group ports to your AZ. You will always receive a message alerting you that a new enemy has entered the AZ.
2. Wins – You score a win for yourself and your guild if your group defeats an enemy group.
a. Standard Defeat – An enemy group is completely dead and your group caused any damage to any member of this group and this damage has not been healed. (So if you hit one member and they get away and heal up and then they get killed by the 3rd realm, then you do not score a win.)
b. Special Defeat – Your group is involved in killing all the rezzers in an enemy group, but do not defeat this group. If this group does not defeat another group within 10 minutes, then you score a win.
c. Note! You can score a win even if you are dead at the time of the defeat of the enemy group. So long as one member of your group lives, it counts as a win.
3. Losing – You score a loss if you are defeated. You are ported out of the AZ if you are defeated. You can only score one loss for each defeat. You are always ported out of the AZ after a loss.
a. Standard Defeat – Your entire group is killed.
b. Special Defeat – Your group losses all rezzing classes and does not defeat another group within 10 minutes.
c. Extra Special Defeat!!! – If you engage another group and BOTH groups lose their rezzing classes and neither group defeats anyone for 10 minutes, then you BOTH suffer a loss.

A

Asha

Part 2

II. Progressing to AZ2,3, and 4 & Retiring
A. Rules of Progression – Because there are many situations that may occur, we need some rules.
1. Normal Progression – You score a win and the AZ above you is empty, then you progress to the next zone.
2. Special Progression – A group from your realm in an AZ under your AZ scores a win. If there is an empty AZ above you, then you will progress. This does not count as a win.
a. Note !! - If there is an empty AZ above you, then you will NOT progress unless someone in an AZ under you and from your realm wins a fight.
b. You must progress or leave the AZs. If you do not wish to go to the next AZ, then you just stay in the current one and you will be ported out when your timer is up. This does not count as a loss. However if you are defeated before the portal timer is up, then it does count as a loss. This means that your whole group has to be killed before the timer is up for you to suffer a loss. You might be dead when the portal timer is up, but if one member of your group is alive, then it doesn’t count as a loss.
3. AZ4 – If you reach AZ4 then you can stay there for as long as you keep winning. You will not be ported out because of groups from your realm winning in AZs below you.
a. Please note. If you score a win and all the AZs above you are full, then you will keep playing in your AZ. If you are not defeated by the time an AZ above you comes open, then you will be moved to the next AZ.
b. Also Note – Progression and Scoring Wins are not the same thing. You may score multiple wins in one session in an AZ. You can score a win and then a loss in one session. (More on points and scoring wins later.)
B. Progression Porting
1. If your group is up for a progression to the next AZ, then your entire group will receive a message to that effect.
a. You will have 3 minutes to move onto a portal.
1. There will be approx. 4 portals in each AZ. This means that you will always be close to one.
2. You do not all have to be on the same portal pad.
3. If you have suffered any LDs, then you cannot progress. The LD counts as a loss for the individual(s) who LD, but not for the group.
4. If all your rezzing classes are dead, then you cannot progress. This does not count as a loss
5. You are not immune for theses 3 minutes. If your group is defeated then you suffer a loss and are ported out of the AZ.
6. If you are dead on the portal pad, you will not progress. You are all simply ported out of the AZs.
b. Your entire group must be on the portal pads to progress. Porting will be instant when your entire group is on the portal pads.
c. If your group is not on a portal pad after the 3-minute period, then you will all be ported out of the AZ. This will not count as a loss. Therefore if you wish to retire, simply wait for the timer to run down.
2. The next AZ
a. Once you port to the next AZ you again dropped in a random location with 3 minutes immunity to buff and move if needed.
b. This will give the winning teams in AZ4 three to six minutes to rest after every win. It should be difficult to remain in AZ4 for extended periods of time.
c. You will always receive a message telling you when a new group enters your AZ.
d. Note: Because incoming groups cannot attack for 3 minutes, they will not be able to interfere with weakened winning groups trying to get to portal pads. However the third realm group can always attack you. Example: You (Hib) kill an Albion group and a new Albion group port in. They cannot attack you in the 3 minutes you have to reach the portal pads. However, the existing Mid group could attack and kill you.
C. Retiring – If at some point you wish to retire without a loss penalty.
1. The easiest way is to score a win and not port. You will be ported out of the AZ in 3 minutes if you are not all on the portal pad. Just be careful to not loss to the third realm in this time.
2. Alternatively, if you really want to leave the AZ, then you can type /leave arena. This has a timer of 90 seconds. You will be ported out of the AZ if you are not killed OR injured in this time. You cannot use this command if any member of your group is killed or injured. This is to prevent groups from leaving an AZ because they don’t want to fight a specific enemy that they think is too difficult.
3. Any relogs/LDs will result in a loss for that individual and for his guild.

A

Asha

Part 3

III. Realm Points, Bounty Points, and Arena Points
A. Realm Points will be scored at HALF normal value in AZ 1 and 2. Realm Points will be scored at normal values for AZs 3 and 4. This will encourage people to continue to use the normal RvR zones. This maybe adjusted if it results in lack of interest in the AZs.
B. Bounty Points will be scored at normal values in AZs 1, 2, and 3. Bounty Points will be doubled in AZ4. This is to give some value to the AZ experience.
C. Area Points System – Arena Points will have no impact on any aspect of the game. They will simply be calculated for individuals and guilds and posted to create a competitive atmosphere. This is about ego, not about gaining more advantages over lower players. Maybe some token rewards could be given to the top 8, 16, or 24 characters in each realm – such as special names, weapon effects, or dye colours. These rewards would have NO impact on game play, they would be purely for show.
1. The Scoring System:
.............AZ1....AZ2.....AZ3..........AZ4
Wins.......2........3.........4..............5
Losses....1........2.........3..............4

3. This means that you cannot lose more for progressing and losing than you won in the previous AZ.
4. You can have a negative score.
5. Points will be calculated for individuals and for guilds. The tables will be posted on GOA’s website.

*** Only FGs of 8 because this a tournament style addition. If you have less than 8, then you are welcome to go to the normal rvr zones. You can also just inv some random lvl 2. This rule is to encourage even fights. It is also to prevent GLs who do not have a group set up from holding up groups of 8 who do have groups set up and ready to go.

So it's never going to happen, but I think it would be fun. :)

A

adari

Re: Part 3

Well it's a lot of text so i didnt really read it but i do agree with this:

Originally posted by Asha
So it's never going to happen,

:p

P

Pin

Padding out a crap idea with lots of text doesn't make it a good idea.

G O P L A Y Q U A K E

O

old.Rei Ayanami

The idea with a FG vs. FG arena is cool, but mythic wants to enhance the keeptaking and different frontier RvR. So it's not gonna happen sadly :(

S

stroopwafel

i dont like the idea of fg vs fg arenas

because if you arent in a pure rvr guild you will never be able to join in and when youre lucky and you do you will lose

A

Asha

Originally posted by stroopwafel
i dont like the idea of fg vs fg arenas

because if you arent in a pure rvr guild you will never be able to join in and when youre lucky and you do you will lose

That's why I said there should be no bonuses for it :)

m00 :fluffle: didn't expect you to ;)

E

Ekydus

So what happens when you get killed and want revenge... but another GL has already taken your group's spot?

+ DAoC is meant for high number battles... It's the players that decide to run with more then 1FG and it is also the players that complain when they get zerged. (In other words they can't compete with the others on equal terms - numbers etc.)

G

glorien_

I read it all and now my eyes hurt :(.. but it seems like uve thought it all through and could be a good idea but like most good ideas something will always mess up.

Grats to you for bothering to think it through and submit a reasonable outline of what it would involve.

A

Asha

Originally posted by Ekydus
So what happens when you get killed and want revenge... but another GL has already taken your group's spot?

+ DAoC is meant for high number battles... It's the players that decide to run with more then 1FG and it is also the players that complain when they get zerged. (In other words they can't compete with the others on equal terms - numbers etc.)

You have to work your way through the ranks again and hope that they are still there..

DAOC is meant for lots of things, I just think it would be fun to have something like this too :)

sumarIZE

I got bored of reading zerg whines and am stuck at work so I wrote down how a fg vs fg zone could work ^^

C

Crashtje

tbfh pin , i think its a wicked idea, and ure just jealous that you didnt think of it, it could work very well

P

Pin

Originally posted by [PDC]Alexie
tbfh pin , i think its a wicked idea, and ure just jealous that you didnt think of it, it could work very well

No, it's a very poor idea. it does not fit with this game in any way, shape or form. this is an idea which has been posted on VN on many different occasions in the past.

Why doesn't it fit in with this game?

DAoC is a massively multiplayer game. It's realm vs realm. It is not 'elitist snob vs elitist snob play over here in this part of the world all by yourselves'.

The game is designed to be for MANY people to play together with access to everywhere as you choose.

If you want to play a game with controlled numbers on either side, then either arrange fights between you and an enemy group in a quiet zone somewhere, or go play a completely dfferent game. There are MANY games on the market which offer team-based play with controlled and even numbers on each side.

DAoC is not designed to be such a game, should never and will never be such a game. If you are bored of DAoC and how it plays, then go play something else. This would be about THE worst possible addition to the game.

O

old.LandShark

In part I agree with Pin. If you can find an enemy guild who are willing to remain 1fg and not call for help, you could easily have some fg v fg fights in Pennines or Hadrian's. If the mids/hibs are informed and someone hides a buffbot somewhere to rezz after fights (just as easy for mids/hibs to port back), and thus they let the other group get up...
Well, I dunno, just saying that you COULD arrange such a thing if you wanted and if your opponents didn't decide to bring 2fg and claim your sweet juicy RPs, it certainly isn't going to happen by porting to emain/odins again and again and posting zerg whines. (Not talking about you there Kate :p )

On the other hand I disagree with Pin on one point - this game, like or not, IS just glorified teamDM. The capacity for roleplay is pretty damn piss-poor and PvE is, for the majority of the playing population, just a vessel to RvR. At which point RvR is about, well, about keeps and relics and the pride of the realm for about a day, then it's about RPs, RPs, ganking and RPs. It's really not that far from a 128-player quake2 server that's always up and maintains a ranking system, the way people play. :rolleyes:

T

Tilda

i read it all, imo its a very nice post.
im not sure how possible it is that it will happen but im going to email the link to sanya anyway :)

But tbh it sounds like it would be great fun if it were implimented.

Tilda

C

Coim-

i read it all as well, nerf boredom
but it sounds like a good idea tbh, although as pin said i think fg v fg arena's have been suggested many times before

E

Ekydus

Not really Tilda, it would turn an RPG (Ever going...) into pretty much an arcade game. Sure people have the choice, but if that's where the most fun is to be had, well then the RvR frontiers will become deserted and then instead of waiting 15 minutes to port you'll be waiting 15 minutes, give or take before the first area is clear. Then with all of these new people joining the game, just how is it possible to get a continous attempt at this "zone"?
This idea may be a good idea for a one-day event, such as the duel competition, and Guilds could set their "perfect" group against one another, but that's as far as I would take the idea. The idea at hand although has been thought out to an extent is still flawed and in the view of many players, such as myself will not fit in with the general ideals of DAoC. DAoC is not meant to be an arcade game with "levels", nor is it meant to draw elements of skill to prove anything. You finish the PvE aspect of the game then persue RvR as the "end game" to enjoy yourself and get the most out of your time spent, with your friends and the realm you grew up in. This idea of going through stages would just negate the idea that if you're defeated in RvR you can just pick yourself up and try again. With the idea, you can't; You have to go through possibly numerous opponants to reach the stage of which you were at, then even at this time you may not have the same enemy waiting for you. Sure RvR could be argued like this but it also offers a lot more freedom and aslong as the players have the freedom they can still organise FG Vs FG battles for themselves.

R

rg-zorena

Originally posted by Ekydus
Not really Tilda, it would turn an RPG (Ever going...) into pretty much an arcade game. ..................................................................................... osv
¨
rpg my ass.

C

Crashtje

it adds a new sense of fun to the game, and FG vs FG sounds like a brilliant idea, will sort out alot of this RvR Rivalry *NP better than LA* so on and so forth

I

Ialkarn

Originally posted by Pin
No, it's a very poor idea. it does not fit with this game in any way, shape or form. this is an idea which has been posted on VN on many different occasions in the past.

Why doesn't it fit in with this game?

DAoC is a massively multiplayer game. It's realm vs realm. It is not 'elitist snob vs elitist snob play over here in this part of the world all by yourselves'.

The game is designed to be for MANY people to play together with access to everywhere as you choose.

It come from someone who played 1 year as stealther,camping walls for what? 80% of your emain time?
Such a mmorpg play style...

Aniway it would be an option..no one is forced to join this arena,but probably the fact you don't have a balanced group where play, automatically exlude everyone else to be allowed to join this option.

I

Ialkarn

I m not sure about the "no reward part":
atm ppl who play in emain in 2fgs or just have a caster/pbaoe group in zerg..have a great rp advantage in front of others..especially ppl playing in 1 single group.

I would prolly allow a rp bonus..lets say 20% x kill? to encourage ppl playing that arena.

also would be fun play against a group of your own realm..

A

Asha

Originally posted by old.LandShark
If you can find an enemy guild who are willing to remain 1fg and not call for help, you could easily have some fg v fg fights in Pennines or Hadrian's.

Tried asking mids/hib guilds to do this and none would. In odins/emain the problem often isn't meeting 2fg.. the problem is Albs adding. I am not saying they don't have a right to fight too, but a good fg vs fg fight is hard to come by.

DAOC is alot of things. It is RvR, but it's also about guilds and groups. That is why we have group abilities. I suggested limited RPs and NO additional bonuses for Arena points to keep something like this from giving the "leet" players another edge over normal players (like me :p).

Also I think it would be GOOD for RvR because it would move the high RR people out of emain so that the lower RR people didn't have to zerg to kill them. If they wanted to try to fight higher lvls, it would be an option for them too though.

At peak times we often get 125/150 Albs in RvR. Moving 5 FG - that is 40 ppl out of the RvR zones isn't going to kill RvR.

;)

T

Treniel-

imo pins jealous cus he can't do fg vs fg...

SSzerginodins4tehwin

D

-deedee-

I like the idea but mebbe i understand it wrong my english is not that good still working on it :p but i understand this only 8 ppl off each realm can logg in that zone yes ? yeah oke. When i do a /who lvl 50 on a normal evening i get 90 to 100 ppl right ? yeah . only 8 ppl at that zone can have fun thats not fair :p I will have fun all the time :p or i understand it wrong mebbe i do then its a real good idea. And yes doac is a place from realm vs realm but pin when you still want that you can go to odins or emain thats not changed only you got a extra option iam still right here ?:p oke nn all

D

Drakhai

We'll have to wait and see what the RvR-patch will bring to us, as Mythic claimed that it will change the way 'we RvR'.

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Asha
Tried asking mids/hib guilds to do this and none would. In odins/emain the problem often isn't meeting 2fg.. the problem is Albs adding. I am not saying they don't have a right to fight too, but a good fg vs fg fight is hard to come by.

What, then, makes you think people would actually use a FGvFG arena? It'd only make discrepancies in realm balance more glaringly apparent and people would get disgruntled.

A

Archeon

Originally posted by old.LandShark
What, then, makes you think people would actually use a FGvFG arena? It'd only make discrepancies in realm balance more glaringly apparent and people would get disgruntled.

But wouldn't that be a good thing? If Mythic could clearly see where one realms FG setup lacked based on other full groups wouldn't that allow them to better adjust the classes to compensate?

Personally i think its a good idea, and i don't see why you'd need to be a pure RvR guild to have fun here.

One minor suggestion though would be to have 5-10 of these arena type areas so there wouldn't be much queueing for them. Yeah, the game is supposed to be large scale battles, and obviously a few weeks after a patch with this in Emain would be empty and people would be queuing. But the same thing happened to DF... and the BG's... and DG, and just about every new place in the game. Yet there are still large numbers of people roaming emain, people still do Relic Raids rather than roll a bg0 toon and run arround. Giving more viable options to people and spreading the majority of the player base so that emain isn't a place where numbers win would be a good thing to me and definatly encourage me to RvR if i didn't think there was a large possibility of me getting my ass handed too me by a zerg of enemy fighters before i've had time to buff my group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom