Joysticks

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a joystick for BF and it's variants so I was hoping people might have some recommendations for me?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Quite like the look of that one, xane, but I ought to have put a bit more detail in my original post....

1) Is USB going to perform well or is there a more optimal type (ie the old game controller port? )

2) I'd rather not go for cordless due to battery wear, but comments welcome on this... do batteries last well?

3) Cost not an issue.

Cheers.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ooh get me one too dad! ;)

tbh the only thing I have against that joystick is that it isn't clear if it has a recharge cradle.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
the wireless 2.4ghz joystick runs from 3x AAA batteries, no recharger or anything.. so you'll buy a pack and have one spare left over :eek6:

i bought myself the similar designed 3d Pro from logitech
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=12,CONTENTID=6954

exact same design, just with an extra piece of plastic and a wire.. very nice joystick, just a pity its a bit hard to get used to flying those choppers in 'nam after using joystick :(

TdC

nice, I'd prefer the corded one tbh. sadly I can't find anyone who sells it here in the NL, only the old model :/ perhaps I'll get the cordless one, it's only 58eur :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can I just say that not only is the cordless a nice touch, but the actualy design and build quality of the joystick itself is a dream, it is solid and the entire base legs are covered in that "sticky" rubber stuff, the action has a very stiff feel to it and the buttons, once you get used to them, are excellent positioning.

The cordless bit is just a cherry on the icing on the cake. It beats my old Sidewinder Pro any day.

TdC

really? oh that's cool. How is the battery performance? I mean, I have a cordless mouse, but that recharges itself in it's cradle every so often. tbh as soon as I hear things like "GHz" I start to see batteries sucked dry faster than that chick in my stepmother is an alien :/

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
PS2 pad and usb convertor = surprisingly amazing results.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've got an old MS Sidewinder - nothing wrong with, it's very hardwearing, and like the feel :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Because I use the keyboard for BF:V Helo driving these days, the Joystick is only for Nalpalm Bombing, so I haven't really tested battery performance.

The Joystick automatically turns off after a short period of inaction, you need to press the Fire button to reactivate it. The reciever module has an LED to indicate connection so you can always tell the status, the Joystick has a light on it too that comes on when it connects.

It becomes habit to pick up the Joystick and depress the Fire button after a while.

I'd guess that unless you used the Joystick all day, battery life is not going to be much of a problem as with mice.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
tRoG said:
I've got an old MS Sidewinder - nothing wrong with, it's very hardwearing, and like the feel :)

Don't get me wrong, I loved my old Sidewinder Pro, but it popped when I was connecting it in one day. But this Joystick is way superior in design, I never thought I could get better than the Sidewinder.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Cyfr

Banned
I guess i'll buy the same one, providing they have it at PC world when I go tonight. I'll see how it goes.

Oh and damit, I have no AAA batterys! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom