Jamaican food

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
dude, the owned you hard. It's an English word, made up to cover a range of dishes with completely different names.

Curry is the English pronunciation of the word khari/kari/kaari/kaaree/khadi and it's derivatives used throughout the Indian sub-continent. They do not use the word 'Curry'

in India, the use their own spelling and pronunciation, let me cite a few sources for you.

Lets start off with these three...

Most people in the world today know what a curry is - or at least think they do. In Britain the term ‘curry’ has come to mean almost any Indian dish, whilst most people from the sub-continent would say it is not a word they use, but if they did it would mean a meat, vegetable or fish dish with spicy sauce and rice or bread.

Thats from Curry, Spice & All Things Nice: The History of Curry

Curry comes from the South Indian word Kari meaning sauce. Seeing as about half a million curries are eaten in the UK every day, they have become a traditional meal. However, some curries in this instance bear no relation to the meals produced in India. For example Chicken Tikka Massala is an English recipe and is only just becoming popular in the Asian sub-continent.

From History of Curry

The word curry is an anglicised version of the Tamil word kari. It is usually understood to mean "gravy" or "sauce", rather than "spices". [1] In most South Indian languages, the word literally means 'side-dish', which can be eaten along with a main dish like rice or bread.

From wiki Curry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though curry is generally categorised as an Indian dish these days, the earliest known recipe for meat in spicy sauce with bread was discovered near Babylon in Mesopotamia, on a tablet printed in cuneiform text. This was way back in 1700 BC, and the dish was probably used as an offering to the god Marduk.

As for the name of “curry”, a plausible origin may be from the Tamil word “karil” which means spiced sauces. Britain’s Pat Chapman of Curry Club fame suggested that it may have been derived from the Hindi words “karahi” or “karai”, meaning a wok-shaped cooking dish. These indications point back to the idea that curry was first popularised by Indians.

However, there have been records of 16th century Dutch explorers coming across a dish called “carriel”, and there is also a Portuguese cookbook dating back to the 17th century which talks about a chilli-based curry powder called “caril”.

That is from Curry - Origins and HIstory: Health Benefits of Spices | Suite101.com

Yes in the U.K. the word curry is used in a generic sense as a name for a wide range of dishes but they all they all come under the same type of meal, which is a meat/veg/fish dish stewed with spices. Chicken Tikka Masala is not classed as a curry but it certainly falls within the definiton and is gaining widespread acceptance back in India.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
uhm, isn't Chetan from india? discussing curry with him would be like discussing danish beer with Olgaline, or swedish snus with CorKnOukZ

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad

The_Fail_Is_Strong.jpg

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
uhm, isn't Chetan from india? discussing curry with him would be like discussing danish beer with Olgaline, or swedish snus with CorKnOukZ

The stuff with Olg and Coco was a giggle pure and simple, Coco was well aware of it and ran with the ball when I threw it. We got some serious rep for that run of posts, people had a laugh and it was all good. The stuff with Olg was just me baiting for a laugh, he understood after a couple of posts as well. ;)

As for Ch3tan, no idea if he is Indian or not in all honestly. I don't see how that changes things though, if you read right through the entire thread you will see how we got to where we are, sadly it seems that hasn't happened with a number of people and instead they jumped to the last page and then started flaming or taking sides trying to make it a big issue.

Sadly that says alot about the state of OT these days, pretty unfriendly and full of people looking for an arguement rather than a laugh. What saddens me most though is the veteran posters who seem to be getting brainwashed into the same mentality, OT used to be a funny place with some great people but these days there are far too many who just want to bitch and have an arguement.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Far too many people posting gay jokes or gay 'discussion' too. I use the word joke lightly for the crap they spout is not funny.

CorNokZ

We had the best non-flamewar flamewar cHofag and I <3

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Aye, it was all adult like and sencible!
you should be ashamed of your selvs!

Now go to rooms and dont come out until you can flamez like a real OT'er

CorNokZ

Getting used to the whole 'dad-thing' are we Olga? :D

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I've been Dada'ing for 3½ years,
I'm pro leet LvL I said NO! grumpy old fart!
and master level in go to your room!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Nah. all that high class Danish premium beer is making him mellow. ;) :p :D

aye,
good thing I have whisky to counter act it.

whisky = peppy
microbrewbeer = mellow

and 50/50 mix = Perfection

No! not in the same glass fool!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
This might seem a bit 'gay' but I am drinking a pink drink at the moment, some fabulous rose vodka. Wonderful stuff it is, kind of tastes like turkish delight.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Yup!
Doctor+Halloween+Costume+for+Kids.jpg

You have a bad case of Prantzerfits Pinkititus, a rare case of advanced stage of Pinkeye.
Cure: Drink jerican of gasoline and impregnate a first family member.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
cho, India is a big place, with many regional variations. South Indian words and dishes are not used in other places. The point was that the English got lazy and named a whole range of dishes with one word, derived from a dish that does not even resemble most of what is served up as "curries". I really do not know what you are arguing against here?

Also - Tamil word is not an Indian word. But lets not get into race issues in India.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The thing about that sig is, I don't think it was a typo from you. I think that is actually what happened.

CorNokZ

I was drunk when I said that.. But it was a fun night and s(he) was great in bed regardless of the lack of anal-sex

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Half the fun of anal sex is the tightness, the other half is the look on her face when she realises where you've put it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I don't disagree and if you read the whole thread you will see that I haven't said anything that doesn't line up with that, there are a number of variations of the word not just Tamil that the name 'curry' could have been derived from.

Yes it has become a catchall term for a range of dishes but it is more to do with the style they are cooked in and less about the content. I am well aware that Indian stews are different from what we Brits call 'curries' as well but the cooking techniques used are almost identical, just the ingrediants vary somewhat due to the Brits having different tastes. A friend of mine was born in Gujarat State and we have discussed this a few times, he too doesn't like the generic use of 'curry' for a number of reasons but he does understand why we British use it as a blanket term for a type of cooking.

If you go back to the top though you will see this all started from someone saying we call them curries based on the use of curry spice and curry leaves but that just isn't the case. The word curry refers to the style of cooking and not any spice in particular, here is the post that started it all...

srsly enough! Wtf do you guys consider a curry!?

Curry is a spice! A curry.. "Man I'd wish I had one curry, because this needs to be spiced up a bit! Two curries would be one curry too many!"

Just like you can't say: "Man this steak needs a salt and perhabs two black pebber"

With people jumping in and not reading all the posts this has gotten out of hand and people are misinterpreting what I am saying.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pffft, keep up chodax, this thread has moved on from curries just as it moved on from jamaican food. We are talking about anal now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Start a new thread, I will happily stick my whack in any anal thread :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom