I've got a....

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
No!
simple mathematical "rules of engagement" say multiplication before addition! so this is exactly why that due to there not being any "tag" specification, the rule applies.
in other words, unless you specify (10+10)x0 the the answer will ALWAYS be =10
to break it down

Set up like this: 10 + 10 x 0 = 10

if you want any other answer you have to specify addition like:

What is
(10+10)x0, which indeed = 0

-----------------------
There are no if's and buts, or two correct answers or possibilities.
maths, have rules whcich you cant just simply ignore to suit your conclusion.
rules apply! no tag = multiplication before addition!

got it ?

all i see is: 1 hug, + 1 hug kiss hug = ? :barefoot:

Chilly

Balls of steel
Agree.

It's standard practice to specify the parentheses in maths - so if the question is to be unambiguous then the question should be written as: 10 + (10 x 0) = ?
Completely untrue. Have you ever done any actual maths beyond counting pebbles?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Some beans.

beans.jpg

kirennia

Part of the furniture
It's 10 and I'm pretty sure that rule happens the world over (well, parts of the world that do mathematics). Whether or not you read it right to left or left to right, you still do multiplication before addition.

try windows calculator, it says 0 ^^ reopen the thread!:p

My windows calculator says 10. If it says zero then you have pressed equals before the end of the equation or your calculator is broken (old version of Windows?).

To any normal person the answer is 0.

Every person needs 1 pen at £3 each and 1 pencil at £2 each. there are 10 people 2 + 3 x 10 = 50

You wrote the equation for your question incorrectly. It would be (2 + 3) x 10 which does equal 50 but is different to the OPs question. ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's all utter bollocks though. In real world use it does not work.

If you are making something out of various parts you add their together and multiply it by the quantity you are making, as per my pen/pencil example above.

Another example is if you need 4 new wheels for your car. £80 for a wheel and £50 for a tyre 80 + 50 x 4. If you rock up with £280 you will not be getting your 4 new wheels and tyres and the bloke at the garage will laugh at you if you try and explain that mathematically you are correct

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Windows calc will give two different answers depending on spastic or scientific mode.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Isn't it BODMAS?

Brackets
Of
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

ie zero

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Becuase, in real life, mathematicly correct would be (80 + 50) x 4

now if you go around saying tags irl, then I'd recommend a place near the beach in Aarhus called Risskov psykiatrisk afdeling

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's 10. There is no equals after the second Ten.

Logi

Part of the furniture
mathematiclly it looks like this 10+(10x0) 10+0 =10

you failed your own thread :(

go ahead, try it on a propper calc.

what? I didn't fail anything, i dont need to put brackets on there, its basic mathmathical rules that multiplications goes first in this equation.

to clear it out, yes the answer is 10.

Logi

Part of the furniture
i happy euro's prevail btw, this same question got posted on vnboards a while ago, and all dem smart americans answered with a 0.

next question, another simple one:

10 /5 x 2 = ?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Another example is if you need 4 new wheels for your car. £80 for a wheel and £50 for a tyre 80 + 50 x 4. If you rock up with £280 you will not be getting your 4 new wheels and tyres and the bloke at the garage will laugh at you if you try and explain that mathematically you are correct

And rightly so because the math would be wrong. You want to do 80 plus 50, ALL multiplied by 4 so the equation would automatically be (80 + 50) * 4 = £520. You add the brackets because you need that part of the equation sorted before the multiplication. In this instance it's asking the wrong initial equation to be answered rather than the method being wrong.

10 /5 x 2 = ?

10 / 5 * 2
= 2 * 2
= 4.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
i happy euro's prevail btw, this same question got posted on vnboards a while ago, and all dem smart americans answered with a 0.

10 /5 x 2 = ?
BODMAS says division before multiplication, so...

gohan

FH is my second home
BODMAS says division before multiplication, so...

would work multiplying first as well aslong as you transpose it I.E

10/5 x 2 = a
10/5 = a/2
10/5 = 2 =a/2
a/2 x2 =2x2 = a = 4

don't really used bodmus if you transpose a formula as long as you do the same to both sides of the equation. (Obviously G's answer is the easier way to do it but just proving a point that it wasn't only because he did the division first)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom