it's official

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
try running outlook with the /cleanprofile switch and see what happens?

e.g. run "c:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\outlook.exe" /cleanprofile

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
does nothing :(

also, when I right click on one of the old mailboxes and try to get it removed, this is what pops up:

The group of folders is associated with an email account. To remove it, on the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, select the account, and then click Remove.

ofc, when I do this, the only account there is my own one. I don't really feel like removing that one.

what I'm thinking is that someone else has associated my account with the mailbox, but I don't have enough rights to make it go away. Possible?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Screen shot your Folder list show us what it looks like. Also if you have webmail do the folders show up then as well?

TdC

nice one: in webmail the other mailboxes do not show.

Attachments

• mail.PNG
    mail.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 5

soze

I am a FH squatter
Might be one for your server admin. There is a bug in Exchange where the account will map if you are given full Delegate Access to it. And it is not removed when the permission is removed. It is a ADSI edit fix.

TdC

so...it's shit then? ;):D:eek::eek7:

soze

I am a FH squatter
I never said differently ;)

But this is an Exchange issue not Outlook so you are still wrong :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Teedles is just annoyed that he has to ask a sys admin to sort something out for him :D

TdC

I never said differently ;)

But this is an Exchange issue not Outlook so you are still wrong :)

:eek:

Teedles is just annoyed that he has to ask a sys admin to sort something out for him :D

I'm a unix person. What can I say? Normally I *am* the sysadmin. This stuff makes me feel like little people :/

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The screenshot shows additional mailboxes being opened. These are added in the Exchange part of the Outlook profile. Its not held at the back-end as such, but on the user's Outlook profile.

Where it can be a bit messy is if you are using redirected folders with Outlook but we'll worry about that if something points us there.

Just to confirm the right place has been checked:

Within Outlook itself...

Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> View or change Exisiting Email Accounts

Click Next

You should see "Microsoft Exchange Server" on the list.

Click 'Change'.

Click 'More Settings'.

Click 'Advanced'.

You should see all the additional mailboxes there and at this point should be able to remove the ones you want to get rid of.

Just want to confirm you've already tried this?

TdC

yes I have tried that. there is only my mailbox there. (and one I put there myself)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Ok your Outlook profile is cocked (not the same as your user profile). Its only the permissions for individual mailboxes that are set at the back end. The mailboxes that will be specifically opened when you launch Outlook is part of your Outlook profile. If you can't see the extra mailboxes (while editing the settings on there) you probably have a corrupt profile.

You can set up the profiles from the Mail control panel item. I'd suggest you create a new one and delete the old. Again, access to this depends on how much your system is locked down.

If you can't create a new profile you probably have a local permissions issue and one of the help desk monkeys will have to sort that for you.

Another way that may possibly fix it, is to remove Exchange from the profile and re-add it, but I'm not entirely convinced that will work since I think it will just pick up the old settings from the corrupt profile.

Hope this helps.

TdC

now my "From" field in a new email has disappeared without me doing anything :eek:

Outlook/Exchange == crusts on Satan's poop-chute!

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
now my "From" field in a new email has disappeared without me doing anything :eek:

Outlook/Exchange == crusts on Satan's poop-chute!

new received email, or when composing a new email where you select which account you send from?

TdC

no, when composing. it was there before, it's not there now. well, it is because I put it back, but you know what I mean.

TdC

RESULT!!!!!!

After getting pissed off again, I decided to rigorously get rid of the accounts, so I went in to the sneaky mail settings where windoze hides your email account doohdads and deleted my account. Then I tried to recreate it, but failed miserably because outlook refused to start up again, claiming it couldn't find some folder or other.

In the end I had to call our helldesk, and the fellow spent 30 mins faffing about until he spotted that I still had our office communicator thingy running, which we basically use to prank the hell out of each other. Anyway, he killed the communicator process, and hey presto! outlook suddenly started up and all was well again AND THE OLD INBOXES WERE GONE!!!! HAH!!!! IN YOUR FIZZACE, BILL GIZZATES!!! :p:p:p

anyway, for some unknown reason, it seems that microsoft office communicator gets involved with microsoft outlook, like a milkman making a house call to deliver a half pint of extra creamy yoghurt facial to your wife while you're away trying to work building cabinets or stacking empty crisps bags, or sweeping chimneys or whatever :(

TdC

also, instead of 800+ unread emails I now only have 359, which is awesome!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
LOTUS Notes was the biggest software clusterfuck ever, how it managed to hang on so long is a modern day miracle. Outlook 2003 is clunky as well, just less so.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
RESULT!!!!!!

After getting pissed off again, I decided to rigorously get rid of the accounts, so I went in to the sneaky mail settings where windoze hides your email account doohdads and deleted my account. Then I tried to recreate it, but failed miserably because outlook refused to start up again, claiming it couldn't find some folder or other.

In the end I had to call our helldesk, and the fellow spent 30 mins faffing about until he spotted that I still had our office communicator thingy running, which we basically use to prank the hell out of each other. Anyway, he killed the communicator process, and hey presto! outlook suddenly started up and all was well again AND THE OLD INBOXES WERE GONE!!!! HAH!!!! IN YOUR FIZZACE, BILL GIZZATES!!! :p:p:p

anyway, for some unknown reason, it seems that microsoft office communicator gets involved with microsoft outlook, like a milkman making a house call to deliver a half pint of extra creamy yoghurt facial to your wife while you're away trying to work building cabinets or stacking empty crisps bags, or sweeping chimneys or whatever :(

Aha, nice one. I'll file that tidbit of info away as I've not yet had problems with OC interfering with Outlook.

TdC

I'm glad my catharsis helps you :)

TdC

catharsis, not cat-arses :eek:

TdC

I prefer not to know. I've met him, you see....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom