it's official

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Outlook (2003) has replaced Lotus Notes as my most hated "enterprise" software.

EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS WRONG

:eek:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Is it wronger than something I just thought of ?

TdC

it's wronger than saying queueing at an inopportune moment :/

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
I can only say that you are wrong.
Even though I totally agree with you that outlook 2003 is a piece of asterisk asterisk asterisk, stating that it's worse than Lotus Notes is just impossible. Utterly and completely impossible...
:touch:

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I have to agree with you. Lotus Notes was spawned from Beelzebub's foulest effluvia. I hated having to make a backup of each account as it was created, just in case they needed it resetting at some point in the future. If you lost the credentials, you lost that email address... permanently. You couldn't make another account and use the old address as an alias.

I have no idea if that's changed in recent years, but it was awful awful awful.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
lotus Notes/groupwise still cause me to break out in a cold sweat from time to time.

TdC

ok, well, I retract my statement that it is worse than LN. Note: I have hated LN for about 12 years now.

I will now simply say that Outlook is Bad To The Point Of Actively Contemplating Automutilation To Make The Pain Go Away, or BTTPOACATMTPGO for short.

and I'm only an end user too!

:(:(:(

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
What's your beef with it? Usually, the problem stands between the keyboard and chair.

TdC

there exists only pure frustration between chair and keyboard, I assure you.

firstly, and I freely admit this has nothing to do with Outlook, my work has farmed our Outlook mega clusters out to some contractor. this puts my mailbox at the end of some pipe far away from me, making every single action...EVERY SINGLE ACTION...grindingly slow. Outlook takes about 5 minutes to start on a core i7 with 4GB ram. Clicking something, or even moving the mouse over the application, or heavens forbid clicking calender causes my entire workstation to freeze for minutes at a time.

Ofc, that has nothing to do with the app, it's just to set the stage.

what I wanted to do today was get rid of a mailbox that has been attached to my account a long time ago. I *thought* that a simple right-click, disconnect/close/release/fuck-off/remove/whatever would do it. Oh no, how naive I was. The app pops a message saying that the mailbox is configured elsewhere (words to that effect). So, I go elsewhere. That involves (according to our procedures) going to Control Panel, Mail, Properties, Mail Accounts, Change/View account, etc etc etc. Anyway, I get there, and I am not allowed to change my own account, because clearly I am a terrorist.

So, I go back in to Outlook, try to get rid of the thing from there, nothing works, mailbox is still there, even though it's so old that this Outlook can not even display anything in it, and has the mailbox properties button grayed out. Anyway, that's just one thing that aggravates me. Another thing is that the app doesn't seem to automatically detect in what mailbox I am in, so every time I change account and want to send a mail I have to manually type the name of the account in the from box. Which sucks.

Oh, and everything I do takes a minute or two to register...ofc that's not the app's fault, but it's still frustrating.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Used to use Lotus Notes at one of my banks. We all hated it. Horrible.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Do you have the rights to create a new profile in Outlook? If you can you can creates a new profile which will let you add a new mailbox ect.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Heh, sorry Teeds, your problems are not Outlook. Its a bad setup and procedures, probably coupled with muntards that don't know how to configure and operate enterprise messaging properly.

TdC

Used to use Lotus Notes at one of my banks. We all hated it. Horrible.
I feel your pain :(

Do you have the rights to create a new profile in Outlook? If you can you can creates a new profile which will let you add a new mailbox ect.
yeah I can do that, but then I will have to choose profiles at startup. why do that, when I can have everything in one window? :(

Heh, sorry Teeds, your problems are not Outlook. Its a bad setup and procedures, probably coupled with muntards that don't know how to configure and operate enterprise messaging properly.

yesh, we have a plenitude of muntards at Big Company. Some people refer to me as one of them. At least I don't pretend to be an Outlook admin :|

soze

I am a FH squatter
yeah I can do that, but then I will have to choose profiles at startup. why do that, when I can have everything in one window? :(

I meant create a new profile and add all the other accounts except the one you don't want. Then just use that profile instead of the other.

TdC

thing is soze, the account I don't want is completely invisible to me. in my outlook settings there is only one profile, with one exchange server, and one user.

in my outlook, I can see several mailboxes, none of which I can remove :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ok one last thing they might be "Additional Mailboxes" to close them you go to Tools and Account Settings. Select your mailbox and click Change. Then More Settings. In the Advanced tab you will see any additional mailboxes Outlook will open and you can remove them there. Sorry if that's what you have already tried.

TdC

thanks buddy, I'll try that shortly!

*resists saying outlook is shit because I have to do six or seven things to get rid of an extra mailbox*

:(

TdC

really? imo simple things buried 7 layers deep makes something shit.

TdC

also, I haven't actually tried soze's method yet :p

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
fuck sake you lazy tard, GET WITH IT!

even our users, who make trained monkeys look like Einstein are able to add and remove a simple additional mailbox from Outlook 2003!

don't make me dial into work and send you our instruction sheet just to prove to you how simple it really is!

:p

TdC

sorry, cheese toasties got in the way of progress. now...onwards!

TdC

Ok one last thing they might be "Additional Mailboxes" to close them you go to Tools and Account Settings. Select your mailbox and click Change. Then More Settings. In the Advanced tab you will see any additional mailboxes Outlook will open and you can remove them there. Sorry if that's what you have already tried.

fail :( the only mailbox there is the one I put there yesterday myself. the other four are, like I mentioned, completely invisible to me other than they take up space in my left panel :/

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
You better not be talking about "public folders" or i'll thump you :eek:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sorry then only other thing I could think of is hitting it in the Registry.

TdC

no, full on mailboxes that I can mail from. if they actually worked that is :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom