Is WAR your last hope for MMORPGs?

Aada

Part of the furniture
After the failure of Vanguard/Tabula Rasa and now Age of Conan all due to early releases.

For me WAR is pretty much the only MMORPG i can see being released that could renew the life in MMORPGS.

The RVR that so many loved in DAOC is almost here again and this game could well pull me back into a MMORPG for 2 years like DAOC/WoW did.

If WAR fails to deliver on what it is promising and the release is a complete disaster i am sure many will turn to Wrath of Litch King for 6 months - 1 year or just not bother completely.

Personally i will probably cry if WAR doesn't deliver the goods.

lerusius

Fledgling Freddie
Me personally do not have that high expectations on WAR the first few months before the hype have died down a little. Well if it is unplayable then I might loose hope a little but it will still be there. Remember WoW had lots of bugs and problems at release.

peo

Fledgling Freddie
After the failure of Vanguard/Tabula Rasa and now Age of Conan all due to early releases.

For me WAR is pretty much the only MMORPG i can see being released that could renew the life in MMORPGS.

The RVR that so many loved in DAOC is almost here again and this game could well pull me back into a MMORPG for 2 years like DAOC/WoW did.

If WAR fails to deliver on what it is promising and the release is a complete disaster i am sure many will turn to Wrath of Litch King for 6 months - 1 year or just not bother completely.

Personally i will probably cry if WAR doesn't deliver the goods.

Not last hope.
But I won't be playing many mmorpgs soon if it doesn't meet or exceed my expectations of service, support, quality and gameplay.
Currently the level of all these from the limited things I've seen (not being in beta and so on) doesn't meet my expectations.

Goiby

Fledgling Freddie
Yea not quite my last hope, but not far off. Im starting to get the little buzz tho when you've been waiting for something for quite a while and now it just round the corner :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Tabula Rasa would be pretty good fun if they just had used a Planetside-like PvP-part. Too bad they didn't.

Age of Conan - a bit more broken every week. More bugs and less fps than in the release version. And beside that, it just doesn't feel like an MMORPG.

So yes, Warhammer is right now the only hope for MMORPGs for me.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Personally I'm bored of MMO's now, I'm willing to give Warhammer a chance though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Me personally do not have that high expectations on WAR the first few months before the hype have died down a little. Well if it is unplayable then I might loose hope a little but it will still be there. Remember WoW had lots of bugs and problems at release.

Sorry i thought wow was a very good game in it's release state it had a few bugs here and there but it was playable and fun.

Age of Conan on the other hand wasn't ;/

threeps

Fledgling Freddie
After WAR I cannot see many MMORPG on the horizon to get exited about. Think Bioware are making one that will be out 2010ish.

If WAR is released in the same state WoW was then I will be happy. It had a few bugs but was more than playable and a fairly polished release I thought.

Bourlog

Fledgling Freddie
Im gonna give war a chance, but if it wont bring the same great rvr that daoc had im just gonna wait for diablo3 and leave the mmorpg world for a while.. TBH i got so bored with mmo's after wow :(

Deveon

Fledgling Freddie
last hope?

hardly for me. With games like Darkfall Online and Mortal Online on the horizon WAR should make for an interesting distraction for a few years (hopefully)

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
If WAR doesn't hit the spot, then nothing in the next couple of years is going to I think.

So, yes. WAR is probably my last hope.

Ljarnill

Fledgling Freddie
I am going to give a chance to WAR as well. I used to be a hardcore gamer back in DAoC but unfortunatelly had to quit for several reasons.

The thing I miss in after DAoC MMORPGs is the lack of efficient RvR, and please no one ever tell me that WOW has an RvR system, it was a 0 compering to DAoC.

I know that WAR won't be DAoC 2... but I would love to something which is DAoC 2 wannabe.

So yes, lets give it a chance.

Mythic do your miracle :cheers:

Anyhow? Am I the only one thinking this way?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Last hope? Not really.

After playing MMORPGs for the past 6 years or so I'm really not too bothered. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy WAR without taking it too seriously, just enough to try and keep me busy. I certainly don't plan on getting addicted to it, at least I hope not!

For me I think MMORPGs have been done to death. Your first MMORPG is always a special one, you don't rush to the highest level and you always take time to explore the game. However every other game afterwards I view as something you have to grind levels until you reach the end.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Not my last hope, but perhaps my last MMO in a long time - lest something interesting comes up on the radar.

I'm getting a tad tired of the mainstream MMOs though, and well - if the game doesn't grip me, then I'm not gonna play for years. It isn't like it was with DAoC for example, where the sheer trill of playing a MMO was enough to keep me going through the "though" times. I did leave WoW because it became too grindish, I left TR because it didn't have enough content. I never cared for AoC cause it felt dull and EVE - well, EVE brings up the worst in people and I can live without it.
So if this MMO doesn't grip me, no harm no foul - I got other things to spend time on instead.

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Last hope? Not really.

After playing MMORPGs for the past 6 years or so I'm really not too bothered. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy WAR without taking it too seriously, just enough to try and keep me busy. I certainly don't plan on getting addicted to it, at least I hope not!

For me I think MMORPGs have been done to death. Your first MMORPG is always a special one, you don't rush to the highest level and you always take time to explore the game. However every other game afterwards I view as something you have to grind levels until you reach the end.

+1
Couldn't have said it any better.

Vermilliononi

Fledgling Freddie
Well im an old timer any game in the last 10 years has been more fluff than fun, always looking to add new gimicks insead of a solid core, WAR is my hope on this changing, still see all those gimicks but hoping on good game none the less :) Darkfall is the game that im pinning all my hopes on.. if both games fail then lloks like im seelling my PC and getting a MAC :p

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
EVE brings up the worst in people and I can live without it.

Hi M8 :)

EVE is an example of a superb game spoilt by a minority behaving like juvenile yobs - problem being that with one server (and maybe 100k active players on it) you have nowhere to turn to if you want a more mature gaming experience because the GM's/Devs are quite happy that "anything goes." They advertise the game as a sandbox and attract a lot of players who belong in a sandbox in RL.

IMO there are two essential factors it takes to make an MMORPG memorable.

The first is an essential ingredient in any game - online or not - the actual gameplay. Here the DaoC RvR system scored big time for me once you got through the levelling grind, although while levelling it did have lots of interesting areas to explore and keep your interest (at least the first time:) )

The second (as important and where EVE fails bigtime) is the spirit of the community. This may vary from server to server, and while there was always plenty of banter between opposing realms on DaoC Excal, in the main a healthy respect between friend and foe alike existed...leading to a memorable time for (the majority of) those involved.

If Mythic replicate and improve on the DaoC model with Warhammer, and at the same time people end up with a community like Excal (or Pryden from what I heard). I don't think many who hark back to the old days will be too disappointed.

Its important to remember though that every MMORPG has a shelf life, and WH's will only be as long as it takes for a new one with massive hype and appeal to attract its players away.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Hi M8 :)

EVE is an example of a superb game spoilt by a minority behaving like juvenile yobs - problem being that with one server (and maybe 100k active players on it) you have nowhere to turn to if you want a more mature gaming experience because the GM's/Devs are quite happy that "anything goes." They advertise the game as a sandbox and attract a lot of players who belong in a sandbox in RL.

IMO there are two essential factors it takes to make an MMORPG memorable.

The first is an essential ingredient in any game - online or not - the actual gameplay. Here the DaoC RvR system scored big time for me once you got through the levelling grind, although while levelling it did have lots of interesting areas to explore and keep your interest (at least the first time:) )

The second (as important and where EVE fails bigtime) is the spirit of the community. This may vary from server to server, and while there was always plenty of banter between opposing realms on DaoC Excal, in the main a healthy respect between friend and foe alike existed...leading to a memorable time for (the majority of) those involved.

If Mythic replicate and improve on the DaoC model with Warhammer, and at the same time people end up with a community like Excal (or Pryden from what I heard). I don't think many who hark back to the old days will be too disappointed.

Its important to remember though that every MMORPG has a shelf life, and WH's will only be as long as it takes for a new one with massive hype and appeal to attract its players away.

Hi K.
Very long time no see :) (tried to spot you my last spout into EVE, but weren't to be found)

Herc

Fledgling Freddie
Definitely my last hope. Totally disappointed from the last 3 MMO's I played after Daoc. If I don’t see daoc style rvr I'll be out. It wont take me long to ding a char so end game is what I want the most.

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
Last hope? Not really.

Exactly the same for me, DAoC was my first mmorpg i played (and nothing compares to it imo, gameplay/community wise etc)

Ive played and loved LoTRo and AoC (aswell as every other mmo out) but i just get bored from late 30's to mid 40's due to the grind, i feel like ive done it before and now its no longer fun in any game.

Im looking forward to WAR, but i fear im going to do the same with that aswell :(

Minau

Loyal Freddie
I reeeeeally hope that WAR will deliver since all the other wannabe games failed to do so. IF it sux (and god forbid) the only hope left for me is "Aion"
But i really want Warhammer to pick up where DAoC left off ! Origins could be a hoot if everything else turns to sh!t :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll be heading straight to Wrath of The Litch King if WAR fails but if WAR is good i am still gonna play Wrath of The Litch King.

Methos

Loyal Freddie
I'll be heading straight to Wrath of The Litch King if WAR fails but if WAR is good i am still gonna play Wrath of The Litch King.

If i feel sick i will go straight home after work, but if i'm not sick i will go straight home after work.

Then, if i have dinner i will watch some TV, but if i don't have dinner i will watch some TV.

Aada

Part of the furniture
If i feel sick i will go straight home after work, but if i'm not sick i will go straight home after work.

Then, if i have dinner i will watch some TV, but if i don't have dinner i will watch some TV.

Good point :)

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Darkfall but the community isn't that good imo.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
There has always been this odd stigma attached to WAR. I assume that because Mythic are making it, players seem to be hoping it'll essentially be DAoC2 or "DAoC style".

Do players really want this to be the case? That WAR shouldn't try to be a great pvp/rvr game in it's own right with it's own (perhaps not unique, but certainly not a carbon copy or evolution of DAoC) style?

Just curious to know what people think.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Darkfall?

Jesus are they still saying that game is being released?

7 years later and yes, people still hold out a hope that this game will not only be released, but will be as good as they claim (whoever "they" might be at the time of publication).

I still think it's vapourware in denial tbh, but stranger things have happened :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
7 years later and yes, people still hold out a hope that this game will not only be released, but will be as good as they claim (whoever "they" might be at the time of publication).

I still think it's vapourware in denial tbh, but stranger things have happened :)

I agree.

But even if it was released how could a bunch of part time devs work with it?

Sorry it has disaster written all over it if it was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom