Is WAR your last hope for MMORPGs?

Herc

Fledgling Freddie
There has always been this odd stigma attached to WAR. I assume that because Mythic are making it, players seem to be hoping it'll essentially be DAoC2 or "DAoC style".

Do players really want this to be the case? That WAR shouldn't try to be a great pvp/rvr game in it's own right with it's own (perhaps not unique, but certainly not a carbon copy or evolution of DAoC) style?

Just curious to know what people think.

I see your point.
As you know the thrill in Daoc rvr was that you was fighting for your realms pride. That was promoted mainly from realms xp in their own lands and had no connection with each other. If War can give that in its own way then I will stick with them for as long as the game stays alive.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldnt say last hope but im gonna stick with war just as long as i stuck to daoc and if it goes down hill like euro daoc i'll knock mmo's on the head. But i loved playing warhammer when i was younger and i love the lore of the game so im sure i'll be playing war for a good number of years. Let the fun begin :cheers:

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
There has always been this odd stigma attached to WAR. I assume that because Mythic are making it, players seem to be hoping it'll essentially be DAoC2 or "DAoC style".

Do players really want this to be the case? That WAR shouldn't try to be a great pvp/rvr game in it's own right with it's own (perhaps not unique, but certainly not a carbon copy or evolution of DAoC) style?

Just curious to know what people think.

DAoC is this far the single best PVP-game and i think alot of people hope that WAR will carry that tradition onwards and im sure alot of people just want a carbon copy with hotter graphics and a wider audience. To tell you the truth that would be awesome to me. :m00:

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
WAR is probably my last "hope" for a long time, if Darkfall ever get released I will probably try it. Won't return to WoW though, might get back to AoC if WAR really screws up after release.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Not my last, probably my second to last. If WAR doesn't pan out then I will be playing Jumpgate Evolution and if that doesn't work out then I will finally call it a day with MMO's.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
not last hope exactly, but the only game I've looked forward to since its announcement.
I cant afford to invest the time I did with DAoC, so I'm hoping its just how I imagine, and NOT a clone of World of Shitcraft.

DaanLand

Fledgling Freddie
the fact u named tabula rasa, age of conan and other fail games, hope this is your last:kissit:

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
For now War is my last hope, played DAOC from scratch till a few months ago and i hope War gives the same magic as DAOC did.

Other MMO's i tried didnt give the magic for me, WOW isnt bad but didnt hold my interest, Tabula Rasa failed and Age of Conan is just a piece of shit.

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
Well im an old timer any game in the last 10 years has been more fluff than fun, always looking to add new gimicks insead of a solid core, WAR is my hope on this changing, still see all those gimicks but hoping on good game none the less :) Darkfall is the game that im pinning all my hopes on.. if both games fail then lloks like im seelling my PC and getting a MAC :p

is that the sort of Mac you would wear on the back row of a cinema??

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Its important to remember though that every MMORPG has a shelf life, and WH's will only be as long as it takes for a new one with massive hype and appeal to attract its players away.

well the warhammer universe has been around for over 25 years now. if the MMO version of that universe proves succesfull it might have an extreme long shelf life as their will constantly be new players who play Games Workshop`s Warhammer Fantasy Battles who will want to try out the mmo version of it. for those people it won`t matter how old the game is (if it doesn`t look old, which means constant updating). i think few other mmo`s attract new players 2 years after it`s release, but war has that potential due to it being linked to an `ageless`and hugely succesfull table top game that each year again attracts a huge score of new players.

i expect the shelf life to be very long. especially if they also sell the game in their own games workshop stores...

pikeh

Resident Freddy
well the warhammer universe has been around for over 25 years now. if the MMO version of that universe proves succesfull it might have an extreme long shelf life as their will constantly be new players who play Games Workshop`s Warhammer Fantasy Battles who will want to try out the mmo version of it. for those people it won`t matter how old the game is (if it doesn`t look old, which means constant updating). i think few other mmo`s attract new players 2 years after it`s release, but war has that potential due to it being linked to an `ageless`and hugely succesfull table top game that each year again attracts a huge score of new players.

i expect the shelf life to be very long. especially if they also sell the game in their own games workshop stores...

very true, good post.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

*whistles*DDO*whistles*

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
*whistles*DDO*whistles*

DDO was a pretty failed attempt at making a MMO imho.

there were quests and dungeons and ... very little else.

it didn`t even have the flawed pvp system of lotro and was a pure PVE game that offered little more than leveling chars.

in no way can DDO be compared to DAOC or WAR where the end game is PVP or more exactly realm vs realm.

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was the dream game for me.

DDO was okay but short of content and a little boring.

LOTRO, great graphics, good potential, fun for a while, but 'something' missing - I am still not sure what.

WoW - no, but again I am not quite sure what did not work for me.

EQ2 - I think this is my fallback if WAR lets me down once I reach 40.

AoC - What a waste. Such a good game made almost unplayable by bugs and truly awful support.

WAR - I know it is not bugged to anywhere near the same level as AoC but that is all I will say about it since I don't want NDA problems. This is my home for the next few years if things go well.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
DDO was a pretty failed attempt at making a MMO imho.

there were quests and dungeons and ... very little else.

it didn`t even have the flawed pvp system of lotro and was a pure PVE game that offered little more than leveling chars.

in no way can DDO be compared to DAOC or WAR where the end game is PVP or more exactly realm vs realm.

Thats the point....im replying directly to what you posted :)

Think you'll find D&D has been around a lot longer than Warhammer, had a massive cult following but that didn't prevent the mmo version being poor and ultimately relatively unsuccessful.

In the context you were talking in, DDO is directly comparable to Warhammer...moreso probably than any other 2 mmo's ever developed.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Thats the point....im replying directly to what you posted :)

Think you'll find D&D has been around a lot longer than Warhammer, had a massive cult following but that didn't prevent the mmo version being poor and ultimately relatively unsuccessful.

In the context you were talking in, DDO is directly comparable to Warhammer...moreso probably than any other 2 mmo's ever developed.

with that i agree :)

Rayko

One of Freddy's beloved
the game is not my last hope, but I'm expecting ALOT from it... pretty much daoc2 for me ofc, just as most of you think about it

Killgorde

Loyal Freddie
DaoC's biggest appeal in comparison with other MMOG's (and one reason everyone harks back to it with fond memories) stems from the realm loyalty aspect - the shared experiences of raiding/defending which united the guilds for a greater common purpose, resulting in possibly a sense of achievement not attained with (or at least different to) that derived from individual accomplishment.

I have no idea whether or not WH will deliver in this area - having 2 rather than 3 opposing forces is a concern and may alter the dynamic (which DaoC had) for the worse. Its easier to attain balance between 3 realms than 2. There was always a tendency for the two lesser factions to focus their attention on the stronger. With Chaos v Empire there is a more of a likelihood of long-term dominance by one side or the other on a number of servers which may lead to frustration for those having their asses handed to them on a regular basis. Just have to wait and see how things pan out.

One for the (distant) future may be World of Darkness. If I recall CCP/WW are using the same gfx middleware as they are on the ambulation expansion in EVE (Morpheme). Whether the gameplay will be up to the stunning graphics CCP are renowned for is another matter - having never played WoD I can't comment on it's the potential to be a great online MMORPG.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
the game is not my last hope, but I'm expecting ALOT from it... pretty much daoc2 for me ofc, just as most of you think about it

its not going to be a daoc 2. that much i'm confident that i'm allowed to say.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
One for the (distant) future may be World of Darkness. If I recall CCP/WW are using the same gfx middleware as they are on the ambulation expansion in EVE (Morpheme). Whether the gameplay will be up to the stunning graphics CCP are renowned for is another matter - having never played WoD I can't comment on it's the potential to be a great online MMORPG.

having played vampire in both table top and live settings for over 10 years i highly doubt that it will be a `team` game, the world of darkness is about personal horror and individual ambition, cheat, lie, betray...

the closest thing to rvr it will have is sabbat vs camarilla but it is more player vs player based... me vs you, not we vs them.

then again, playing a sabbat lasombra or a brujah appeals to me ;) lol, i have the sabbat logo tattooed on my right shoulder :p

while this `might` create a great mmo setting, it will be nothing like anything seen before i think.

and if they use the new rules and not the old rules, i`m not even intrested...

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
its not going to be a daoc 2. that much i'm confident that i'm allowed to say.

and i think it`s the closest thing to daoc II there has been due to it`s RVR... if i`m allowed to say that ;p

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
It depends on how you define DAoC II. WAR is not the same lore or setting so no. But it is Mythic, it's even the same graphics engine but most importantly it is proper RvR again as only Mythic have so far ever achieved so in that sense it is very much DAoC II.

In the sense of being the game everyone who loved DAoC wants to play since DAoC faded away then it is definitely DAoC II.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
I did think WAR would be the last bastion of hope for my MMO life, but I don't think it will be, there are a few on the horizon that have piqued my interest (STO and Bioware's Starwars mmo), but they will no doubt turn out to be utter shite!

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
It depends on how you define DAoC II. WAR is not the same lore or setting so no. But it is Mythic, it's even the same graphics engine but most importantly it is proper RvR again as only Mythic have so far ever achieved so in that sense it is very much DAoC II.

In the sense of being the game everyone who loved DAoC wants to play since DAoC faded away then it is definitely DAoC II.

I really can't wait for the QQ when the DAoC faithful can't find trolls, lurikeens, emain or their I-WIN buttons ;)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
After the failure of Vanguard/Tabula Rasa and now Age of Conan all due to early releases.

For me WAR is pretty much the only MMORPG i can see being released that could renew the life in MMORPGS.

The RVR that so many loved in DAOC is almost here again and this game could well pull me back into a MMORPG for 2 years like DAOC/WoW did.

If WAR fails to deliver on what it is promising and the release is a complete disaster i am sure many will turn to Wrath of Litch King for 6 months - 1 year or just not bother completely.

Personally i will probably cry if WAR doesn't deliver the goods.

Still waiting for THE game I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom