Is this possible?

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OK, so my old PC went bang, and it wasn't worth trying to find what else had gone apart from the PSU, so we've got a new base unit on the way.

In teh meantime both the HDDs from the old machine are currently hooked up to mine, and work fine, so no data is lost :)

One thing that Sharon would like though is to put her old e-mails, address book etc on the new machine. This info is locked away on on of the hard discs, and presuambly is going to be tricky to dig out.

Is there a way to do this? Is it possible to run that instance of OE from her old main disc? Will this confuse my PC, and my own install of OE?

Am I making any sense at all?

RB

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks Chet,

Sadly that's not quite my problem. I now have 4 HDD in my PC, one is my boot disk with OE on it, and the details of my mail account. Another is the boot disk from the other PC complete with Windows, OE etc. and the details of Sharon's account. I have tried going onto this second disc and starting the OE.exe there but it still starts up using my details.

In order to export everything I need to be able to get her account running.

I guess I could findd the folder with her e-mails in it, with some long unlikely folder name, but it won't work to just cut them from there and paste onto her new PC will it?

I'm sorry my original post wasn't clearer

RB

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Try unplugging your current boot disk and booting from the one on the old pc. If its an older version of windows, it might just work (it will probably complain alot..but only need to get it going in safe mode to backup your data). If you were running XP originally, you would likely encounter big probs trying this....

/edit...incodentally, office has a utility to migrate all the settings, pop3, accounts etc, I think (dont quote) it does messages as well

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
smurkin said:
If you were running XP originally, you would likely encounter big probs trying this....

Thanks smurkin,

Both machines were running XP and so I don't think I'll risk it. i guess in the end we're lucky that nothing important has been lost, and a few old e-mails aren't that important.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you go through the link I gave you, or even google for recovring outlook express emails, it tells you the location of the files that hold all her mails. You can just copy those over to your new install. You dont need to run the old copy of OE to do this.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks again Chet,

I tried that and hey presto it works! I was convinced that just cut and pasting those .dbx files would cause all sorts of nastyness but you're right it just accepted them immediately.

After all that I can't believe that it was so easy :)

RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom