Is the nature of the game being changed - is this good or bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yerk

When I first started playing aound 20 months ago certain aspects of the game attracted me to it:

1 The co-operative nature of the game meant that lvling in a group was both quicker and more fun than soloing.

2 Caps on low lvls grouped with high lvls meant that there was little to be gained from plvling toons that were too far below the highest toon in the group

Is Mythic more interested in money from ppl with multiple accounts than creating a game that is attractive to new players ?

Is the selfishness that seems to prevail currently being encouraged by the introduction of overpowered soloers in all realms, whether they be BD's, necros or whatever ?

Are new players gonna join a game when places that used to be camped by whole groups are now camped by a solo toon with or without bb ? - does /lvl encourage the use of bb's again shutting out new players who have to do things the hard way ?

I've just come out of DF despite the fact I need seals on my lowbie toons because watching hordes of necros fighting to camp spots was just farcical, is the situation the same in other realms ?

If WoW takes measures to stop BB's and plvlers I know of at least 20 ppl who will be leaving DAOC just for this reason alone.

Please try to take these questions seriously and not as attacks on any toon u might have, nor is it a whinge against any particular realm as it seems to me the greatest negative effects on game balance are the use of bb's and overpowered solo toons.

Is the game as much fun as it used to be or is it turning into a 'drop hunt' , 'rp farm' for leet toons and evry1 else is just expected to be fodder ?

Is it still possible to play a meaningful part in the game with only 1 account ?

Yerk lvl 50 Cab - Guardians of Power
Yeeeeerk lvl 44 Sorc
Yerkette lvl 38 Necro
Xerk lvl 30 Reaver
Parboiled lvl 25 Pally
Goneorhere lvl 22 Merc

Y

yerk

removed - due to a possibel misundertanding and a desire to keepthis forum as insult freee as poassible

O

old.Gombur Glodson

And you obviously failed to see what I meant :rolleyes:

C

cHodAX

Gomby is right sadly. Mythic couldn't give a rats arse about Joe Average, they would prefer to have 50,000 players with two accounts rather than 80,000 single player accounts. As a business they work on basic economic principles. They really don't care if power leveling or buffbots ruin your gaming experience as long as the money keeps flowing from the people with two accounts. Running a MMORPG doesn't need a long term economic plan, they know that the next cash cow is only a year or two away so they keep buying off the player base of with irrelevant addons and poorly thoughtout class rebalancing. For them it is just a game of trying to keep you hanging around long enough with you hoping that the fixes/features the game needs actually arrive.

One great example of this is player housing. It was 80% complete in the Summer of 2002 but rather than release a free addon that many players wanted they bought us off with Darkness Falls which kept enough people playing till they could release SI which gave them another nice injection of cash. Then as soon as player numbers started dropping again they release the player housing addon a year late, this was purely to keep people playing long enough to sell 100,000 copies of ToA. They are quite happy to add more PvE content, it is fast and easy. If they spent half as long on RvR as they do on PvE this game would really be something special. Instead we end up with wave after wave of FoTM patches that nerf three classes and make one overpowered, plus more PvE zones that are half empty and unused. They use new items with nice stats as digital crack to keep you playing that little bit longer.

In short. Mythic don't give a shit as long as you keep paying and waiting in vain for fixes/features that will never come.

T

The Real Redi

I was prepared to give the chance with this promise of an RvR expansion, which was announced days after SI came out if my addled brain still serves me at all. Then we hear housing has taken the front seat again, so the RvR "revolution" was put on the "back burner", again i think thats the words they used.

Now we hear of ToA - a wank add-on to appease the fisherman and swimmers of the world. If Mythic had bothered to do a survey, hands up here who would vote for a new SIesque realm where you can swim and all kinds of other useless candyfloss, over an expansion/revamp of the actual END PRODUCT, which on virtually every forum across the DAoC playing world has begged for.

Mythic's ethics are shameful, but i bet the MD's got a loverly car :great:

K

klavrynd

mythic's idea on customer service : if you cry enough on vnboards you get what you want

S

Sharma

Mythics attiude is generally:

QQ youre addicted to our game, give us more money please and let us screw you over some more.

J

Jonaldo

imo money talks, bullshit walks.

That's what I say anyway, dunno if any others do.

H

Harhr

When i started the game I actually was fascinated of the game as a whole, now its just pwning and FoTM's over and over again+nerfs/boosts

Maybe Mythic has a short-targeted business plan because if they keep going like they do now they will lose customers horribly fast.

O

old.Morchaoron

Originally posted by Jonaldo
imo money talks, bullshit walks.

That's what I say anyway, dunno if any others do.

on bw, money walks, bullshit talks :rolleyes:

S

Sharma

Originally posted by Harhr
if they keep going like they do now they will lose customers horribly fast.

They already have.

K

Kahland

Originally posted by yerk
When I first started playing aound 20 months ago certain aspects of the game attracted me to it:

1 The co-operative nature of the game meant that lvling in a group was both quicker and more fun than soloing.

2 Caps on low lvls grouped with high lvls meant that there was little to be gained from plvling toons that were too far below the highest toon in the group

Is Mythic more interested in money from ppl with multiple accounts than creating a game that is attractive to new players ?

Is the selfishness that seems to prevail currently being encouraged by the introduction of overpowered soloers in all realms, whether they be BD's, necros or whatever ?

Are new players gonna join a game when places that used to be camped by whole groups are now camped by a solo toon with or without bb ? - does /lvl encourage the use of bb's again shutting out new players who have to do things the hard way ?

I've just come out of DF despite the fact I need seals on my lowbie toons because watching hordes of necros fighting to camp spots was just farcical, is the situation the same in other realms ?

If WoW takes measures to stop BB's and plvlers I know of at least 20 ppl who will be leaving DAOC just for this reason alone.

Please try to take these questions seriously and not as attacks on any toon u might have, nor is it a whinge against any particular realm as it seems to me the greatest negative effects on game balance are the use of bb's and overpowered solo toons.

Is the game as much fun as it used to be or is it turning into a 'drop hunt' , 'rp farm' for leet toons and evry1 else is just expected to be fodder ?

Is it still possible to play a meaningful part in the game with only 1 account ?

Yerk lvl 50 Cab - Guardians of Power
Yeeeeerk lvl 44 Sorc
Yerkette lvl 38 Necro
Xerk lvl 30 Reaver
Parboiled lvl 25 Pally
Goneorhere lvl 22 Merc

You're so dumb hahahahahaha

You cant decide how other ppl are to play, just because you want to roleplay and pretend to be someone youre not..

I play this game to be cool and kill all, get rps and cash! not to make friends

if i wanted to make friends and have fun i'd stay in reallife

I might sound like a dick, i might be one. Who knows i have my own opinion, and i think youre a tard.

Maybe ITS _YOU_ and your friends with that opinion that need to learn how other people wants to play the game, and not just how you want it yourself. That sounds very egoistic of you.

THERES NOTHING THATS MEANT TO BE ITS THE PEOPLE THAT PLAYS THE GAME THAT DECIDES IT!

:knight: :mgwhore:

F

faderullan

Re: Re: Is the nature of the game being changed - is this good or bad ?

Originally posted by Kahland

I might sound like a dick, i might be one.

Pre-req for joining Public Enemies Oo

J

joe_soap

THERES NOTHING THATS MEANT TO BE ITS THE PEOPLE THAT PLAYS THE GAME THAT DECIDES IT!

yup, and tis twats like you that has made it into a kiddie omgwtfpwn braindead game that its become.

PS, totally agree with Yerk's post

H

Heffer

Re: Re: Re: Is the nature of the game being changed - is this good or bad ?

Originally posted by joe_soap
yup, and tis twats like you that has made it into a kiddie omgwtfpwn braindead game that its become.

Same Shit , Different Day! xDDDD

F

Fafnir

Since the release of this game its always been hard to find groups (then i mean good groups) if you play a certain class, i remember all sb's that could not get groups and they whined about it, then they would not group in pvp. I had hard time to find groups since i was highest lvl in my guild at that time, but i always could solo, and am mostly a solo player. :) But there where too many pl players the last few months i played.

Dude where do i buy a meddallion to get to emain, this i was asked right beside the merchant at the portal to emain/hadrian/bg's and i said the merchants in DF so he ran there. :)

K

Kahland

Re: Re: Re: Is the nature of the game being changed - is this good or bad ?

Originally posted by joe_soap

wtf pwned.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Actually, no Kahland.

But seeing your posts makes me damned glad you play a different realm from me ;)

K

kalgarn

I play this game to be cool
:m00:

T

The Real Redi

Put it like this - With an expansion like SI, ToA, (subsiding)Foundations, Mythic are introducing a large portion to the game, and to new players/people considering it, this looks quite attractive. Compare to Baldurs Gate - how many add ons has that recieved so far? Quantity, not Quality though is where Mythic have fallen over.

If Mythic had a car that stalled every 200 yards, and made a noise like Flesh when it went over 20mph, they would stick a shiny new body kit on it, and expect that to sort it out. I fear from the way that they have handled themselves corporately, they don't see a long term future in the DAoC franchise, or maybe they underestimate how much work it would actually take and don't have the time and cash to put in - using ToA and Foundations as new ways to inject cash by tempting new blood to the realms with candyfloss addons. Buffbots (second accts) bring extra revenue, as does the apparent random action on CoC breakers (how long till Radars are considered as necessary as bots?)

If it IS the fact that they really don't have the budget to keep the programmers and Dev team (whether from overestimated sales for the last year, cancelled subs, higher expenses, whatever, it doesnt really matter) sat at their desks and working on making good the promises of a refurb of the essence of the game for 90% of its players, then that bodes really, really badly for the future of the realms as a whole.

When this game first went live, it held together pretty well, but surely Mythic must realise that 20 months of doing the same thing, those customers paying the most (i.e second subs, life termers, etc), and just dangling this promised Argh-v-Argh expansion in front of us, like a Sunday roast to a starving man, is just making us more pessimistic about how much our subs are really worth to em.

I'll bet their Marketing manager, MD and Dev leader haven't played on a live server in months...

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by The Real Redi
Put it like this - With an expansion like SI, ToA, (subsiding)Foundations, Mythic are introducing a large portion to the game, and to new players/people considering it, this looks quite attractive. Compare to Baldurs Gate - how many add ons has that recieved so far? Quantity, not Quality though is where Mythic have fallen over.

If Mythic had a car that stalled every 200 yards, and made a noise like Flesh when it went over 20mph, they would stick a shiny new body kit on it, and expect that to sort it out. I fear from the way that they have handled themselves corporately, they don't see a long term future in the DAoC franchise, or maybe they underestimate how much work it would actually take and don't have the time and cash to put in - using ToA and Foundations as new ways to inject cash by tempting new blood to the realms with candyfloss addons. Buffbots (second accts) bring extra revenue, as does the apparent random action on CoC breakers (how long till Radars are considered as necessary as bots?)

If it IS the fact that they really don't have the budget to keep the programmers and Dev team (whether from overestimated sales for the last year, cancelled subs, higher expenses, whatever, it doesnt really matter) sat at their desks and working on making good the promises of a refurb of the essence of the game for 90% of its players, then that bodes really, really badly for the future of the realms as a whole.

When this game first went live, it held together pretty well, but surely Mythic must realise that 20 months of doing the same thing, those customers paying the most (i.e second subs, life termers, etc), and just dangling this promised Argh-v-Argh expansion in front of us, like a Sunday roast to a starving man, is just making us more pessimistic about how much our subs are really worth to em.

I'll bet their Marketing manager, MD and Dev leader haven't played on a live server in months...

Baldurs Gate had one addon, Baldurs Gate 2 had one addon. They are singleplayer games that can be completed in 100 hours and so REQUIRE new content to extend them. However DAoC+SI does not require more PvE zones, it has a number that are already rarely used and adding more of them just creates a further vacum. People NEVER leave this game through lack of PvE content but how many thousands have left because of the state of RvR?

The game needs a rethink about how RvR works and to address the total class imbalance. Instead Mythic pump out more uber items and PvE zones because it is far far easier than fixing the cumlative clusterfuck they have designed in the current RvR system. Patch after patch after patch of NERF/LOVE and they are further from balancing RvR than they have ever been. There are many classes that are obsolete when it comes to setting up an ideal RvR group, look around at the lack of active cabalists/theurgists/thanes/valewalkers/animists..... the list goes on. They leave because they cannot get groups as many people want the perfect setup or as near as damnit.

Now someone, hell anyone tell me that RvR in it's current state is any better that it was a year ago. Infact patch by patch it becomes increasingly frustrating. this game would be long dead by now if there was a decent alternative that offered a PvP engine that was even on par with the mess that is DAoC. Soon enough it will happen and watch DAoC turn into a graveyard.

J

joe_soap

Good posts by Redi and Chodax.

The other issue that I feel contributes heavily to the downfall of RvR is the why. I remember in days past, for me and a large number of fellow players, any time the smelly ones or tree huggers were reported in our frontier, the albs got up in arms to go out and defend our keeps. Now hardly anyone goes for keeps because the reason of DF and the fun of keep taking is not enough. Ive noticed lately our keeps are being attacked by fotm grps purely to entice albs out so they can wtfpwn us. No interest in the keeps. So for me the whole class imbalance, wtfpwnyoun00b attitude and the replacement of attacking realms in the form of keep takes and not just zerging has made RvR as fun as slapping yourself int he face with a wet cabbage leaf. Fun if you havent done it in a few weeks, but gets old in about a minute.

Mythic, despite their 'games for gamers' slogan, simply dont care. I will be very surprised if we see the so-called RvR expansion due to the fact a substantial part of the player base will have left by then for other games and also Mythics practises.

Roll on WoW

C

chretien

Kahland stop being a nob.
This thread is nothing to do with telling people how to play or what to do. I agree totally that the players define the game and if every player wants to play Counterstrike with Wizards then that's what the game will become. If you read Yerks post (get someone to explain the long words), it's saying 'the state of the game has come to this but is it a good or a bad thing?' Totally valid question and in no way is he saying that people should play the way he says.
I play this game to have fun cos that for me is the point of a game. If I want to become 'uber' at something I'll save my energies and become uber at something that's actually useful like a job skill not a computer game. As for 'I play this game to be cool'
I think that's the most hilarious thing I've ever read. "Hey girls I've got a RR7 Savage.. hmm feel my h2h spec.."
You don't get to be cool through being good at a computer game, sorry to burst that bubble for ya.

K

kalgarn

Originally posted by chretien
As for 'I play this game to be cool'
I think that's the most hilarious thing I've ever read. "Hey girls I've got a RR7 Savage.. hmm feel my h2h spec.."
You don't get to be cool through being good at a computer game, sorry to burst that bubble for ya.
lies!!!11
chicks dig 1337 rvr skills,i bet kahland gets all the women irl if he says his realmrank.

:p

K

kalgarn

i bet he got a discount on the car when he told them he was an uber rvr d00d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom