Irc

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
I've been on IRC for over 10 years, currently quakenet appears to be at its quietest, at least in the channels im in anyway. Depending on what each channel is based on, its a small community and if what holds that community takes a dip then obviously it will have a knock on effect. I was primarily on quakenet for quake 3 and the people with it, lots have left since its decline sadly, just the way it is :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Considering that more and more people get connected to the Internet, you'd expect more users to use IRC, but Quakenet's population has declined quite a bit the past 2 years.

IRC is rather old and needs updating, but it seems quite hard to do as every IRC network seems to want to run their own slightly modified version of ircd to add little features. Most little networks used to just use the big networks ircd, but sadly even the amount of coders working on them seems to have declined.

My personal opinion is that IRC could greatly benefit from some radical new thinking to make it a lot more modern, but preferably being as familiar and backwards compatible as possible.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I quite agree. People certainly need to get out of the idea of using chanserv and nickserv - both are utterly useless past a certain point (size, load) and serve no purpose in modern networks. Quakenet has a very, very good development team behind it, but as you say there needs to be some "thinking outside the box" - but I don't think that's likely to help. Internet usage isn't just limited to a few select groups, i.e. "people that chat" "people that game" and "people that warez" like it used to be - now, a much larger proportion of people use it and use various methods of communication other than email - looking at the obvious bebos, myspaces, facebooks, MSN, java gaming chatrooms etc. So if everything, people will probably more likely be pigeonholed into a certain type of "internet user" and IRC will likely be left for the more technically minded and multiplayer gamers.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Learn a lesson from history: irc doesnt need updating. Microsoft tried a long time ago, and failed horribly. Does noone else remember MS Comic Chat? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom