Irc

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
If you don't get any viruses for a few weeks I might install it. But that's the only reason I haven't got it so far, is because of all teh scary stories I've heard about viruses, trojans, hackers, etc.

Altho I guess it's no different from using a weird Russian CGI thingy, or anything else on the web for that matter. I've got a virus scanner and a firewall, I'm just far too paranoid.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
shy i have been using irc for months and I probably even have been on quakenet for over 20 days now in total time. So I think its safe?

And shy the difference with the CGI thingy is that it doesnt show your ip, but the one of the CGI website. So in a way its safer, but its a little crap compared to mirc.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Driwen said:
And shy the difference with the CGI thingy is that it doesnt show your ip, but the one of the CGI website. So in a way its safer, but its a little crap compared to mirc.

And also, in Russian, which is very confusing :)

Flesh

Banned
BlitheringIdiot said:
One last thing, Im on a 30 day evaluation period. So do I have to pay to use this then?
I've been ignoring that for 18 months, so no, I doubt it.

Flesh

Banned
[QUOTE='Shy]If you don't get any viruses for a few weeks I might install it. But that's the only reason I haven't got it so far, is because of all teh scary stories I've heard about viruses, trojans, hackers, etc.

Altho I guess it's no different from using a weird Russian CGI thingy, or anything else on the web for that matter. I've got a virus scanner and a firewall, I'm just far too paranoid.[/QUOTE]
I can't say I've ever been hacked, or that anyone I know on irc has been hacked, however, there tends to be alot of links to trojans floating around but they're usually very obvious and tend be something along the lines of
"www.nakedblondewomen.com/OMGLESBIANS11!1ELEVEN!1.JPG <--- CLICK HERE M81!1"..so aslong as you avoid those and don't click them...you're fine. :eek:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
BlitheringIdiot said:
I r in teh inv1s1ble mod3!!11

I think that means people cant get my IP address and stuff...

/shrug

People wont be able to see your ip if you do the following

User modes

/mode nickname +x

Changes your host to "authname.users.quakenet.org", where authname is your Q account name. Users will see you quit and rejoin IRC with this new host. You are advised to set this mode before entering any channels for maximum security. Please note that you cannot rename your Q auth account once created, and you have to be authed with Q before you can set this mode.

If your authname is "foo" and nickname "foobar":
/mode foobar +x
You will see:
foo.users.quakenet.org is now your hidden host
Other users will see:
*** Quits: foobar (bar@blabla.provider.com) (Registered)
*** Joins: foobar (bar@foo.users.quakenet.org)
To remove this host and regain your normal host, you have to reconnect.

As you can see you need to "Auth" with Q in order to set this mode.

The first thing you need to do is say hello to Q

HELLO
Creates a new user account in the bot.
Creates a new user account in the bot. Note that there are *NO HOSTMASKS* on this bot. Other bots allow you to ident if you just know the password, so this one just uses the password and scraps the hostmask as pointless.

Usage: /MSG Q HELLO <user@mymailhost.xx> <user@mymailhost.xx>

You need to specify your email address TWICE (to prevent typing mistakes) as parameters, a generated password will then be sent to the address mentioned, allowing you to AUTH to Q (see the AUTH command description for more details).

AUTH
Identifies you as a particular user on the bot.
This will identify you on the bot as until you quit from IRC.

Usage: /MSG Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH <username> <password>
eg. /MSG Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH John 4321John

By doing the above and using a good firewall you shouldn't get into much trouble.

Yoni

if you have any more problems please come to #freddyshouse it may be daunting but if asked nicely there are alot of people who can help you with irc issues who chat there :)

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Yoni said:
if you have any more problems please come to #freddyshouse it may be daunting but if asked nicely there are alot of people who can help you with irc issues who chat there :)
I was in their today, seemed alright - just so long as I dont mention DAoC, adari, 12 year olds or that I post on eOT then I should get out alive! :D

Once again thanks for the help, I think Ill go find an idiots guide to IRC though, there are a few really dumb things that I still dont understand.

Yoni

If you need help the best source is www.quakenet.org they have an excellent faq there :). There are also classes for beginners held regularly in IRC

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
BlitheringIdiot said:
I was in their today, seemed alright - just so long as I dont mention DAoC, adari, 12 year olds or that I post on eOT then I should get out alive! :D

Pop on in and have a chat, noone will worry so long as you don't make an ass of yourself. You'll find me there too (though I'm usually playing something or other, after all, I AM a gamer) if you want to ask any questions about stuff.

I'm not a monster, just a normal, old (though with my hair intact, thanks Deebs) guy.

Never know, one day you might even find me buying you a beer... :cheers:

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
just been in #freddyshouse and

:eek7: Lots of bad language, LOADS of bad spelling, im talking worse then mine! :eek6: scary stuff, i think i'll stick to #celticfist and argueing with ST :)

(thanks for giving back my smiley)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Jupitus said:
Pop on in and have a chat, noone will worry so long as you don't make an ass of yourself. You'll find me there too (though I'm usually playing something or other, after all, I AM a gamer) if you want to ask any questions about stuff.

I'm not a monster, just a normal, old (though with my hair intact, thanks Deebs) guy.

Never know, one day you might even find me buying you a beer... :cheers:

Ooooooooo if I join do I get beer too??!?!??!!oenoene

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Nooooo1111 SHY birds dont drink beer :p

Its "Glass of white wine, fruit pastry for the Lady"

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Brynn said:
Nooooo1111 SHY birds dont drink beer :p

Its "Glass of white wine, fruit pastry for the Lady"

Eugh, :puke: gimme a pint of Boddies any day ;D

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Eugh

Stella or Corona for teh win :D

whats that russian Mirc thing :p uni firewall doesn't like mirc :)

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
amazing how we get told to use irc instead yet two irc threads reach 2 and 4 pages :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom