Irc

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Being the technolgically challenged chap that I am I have never actually tried to use IRC, Im too scared. So I'd appreaciate it if you pro's could post an idiots guide to everything IRC, then a list of channels which someone of my extremem intellectual capacity could frequent without having to read Adari talknig about spanish people in caps lock.

Thanks.
 

Flesh

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
445
I'm as equally computer illiterate..
Just go to www.mirc.com then go to downaloads... it's pretty self-explanatory, and even I managed it, although if you encounter any problems, give me a pm.... or catch me on IRC. <giggle!>
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Id rather have any problems answered here so that anyone else who is as crap as me can use this to familiarise themselves with IRC.
 

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,071
after you download it, remember everything daoc is on quakenet ..
 

Flesh

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
445
Log onto the quakenet server and try joining the channel #freddyshouse.
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Flesh said:
Log onto the quakenet server and try joining the channel #freddyshouse.
Will I get flamed by people who wank to their new improved desktop wallpaper/computer case? I'd prefer to make a fool of myself with less people watching to be honest.
 

Flesh

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
445
I went there the other night, seems quite a friendly place. I even discovered Deebs is an allright person, if you remove the "*****" from his sentences. :p
 

Flesh

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
445
Click on the little symbol of a hammer/folder, near the lightning symbol, and go to servers, then select Quakenet: Random UK server then press connect.
Once you're connected a pop up box should appear asking you what chnnael you'd like to join..type in "freddyshouse".
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Connecting to uk.quakenet.org (6667)
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Found your hostname


Thats all I get... Did I break it already? :eek:

I feel so pathetic, even shy can work IRC.
 

saltymcpepper

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
80
if you think adaris swearing about the spanish infil zerg is bad, you should try rvring in a voice chat with him :p
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
I managed to get into #freddyshouse long enough to see the long list of people, most probably all ready to flame me to hell and back. So I hit Alt+F4 and turned the lights off.

I think its safe now... :eek:

Thanks for the help, I'd just like a list of channels that DAoC people tend to use so that one day I can build up the courage to type something.
 

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,071
saltymcpepper said:
if you think adaris swearing about the spanish infil zerg is bad, you should try rvring in a voice chat with him :p
just remind him to take his pills ;)
 

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,071
BlitheringIdiot said:
I managed to get into #freddyshouse long enough to see the long list of people, most probably all ready to flame me to hell and back. So I hit Alt+F4 and turned the lights off.

I think its safe now... :eek:

Thanks for the help, I'd just like a list of channels that DAoC people tend to use so that one day I can build up the courage to type something.
#celticfist
#llaw
#pr0n
#barrysworld
#WoW

you may need to register for WoW ..
 

Elcain

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
192
that #freddyshouse isthe biggest piece of bullshit since #carebears :(
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
One last thing, Im on a 30 day evaluation period. So do I have to pay to use this then?
 

Belsameth

Tainted
Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
530
#bwforumites is clearly THE place to idle. if only because I'm always there (always AFK too :p )
 

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,824
BlitheringIdiot said:
Connecting to uk.quakenet.org (6667)
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-uk.quakenet.org- *** Found your hostname


Thats all I get... Did I break it already? :eek:

I feel so pathetic, even shy can work IRC.
Aaah but I use uber web based Russian thingy that you don't even have to download. Just for me and VF's secret lurve chats :p
 

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,617
[QUOTE='Shy]Aaah but I use uber web based Russian thingy that you don't even have to download. Just for me and VF's secret lurve chats :p[/QUOTE]

don't tell them my seckret cgiirc portals ;)
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
yaruar said:
don't tell them my seckret cgiirc portals ;)
So secret that we could all just read the thread where you carefully explained to shy exactly how to use it... :p
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Belsameth said:
#bwforumites is clearly THE place to idle. if only because I'm always there (always AFK too :p )
Hurrah! I managed to log onto it! Only problem is I dont like any of those people :mad:
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Conchabar said:
huh irc x gr8 place to get hacked ^^
I r in teh inv1s1ble mod3!!11

I think that means people cant get my IP address and stuff...

/shrug
 

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,824
BlitheringIdiot said:
So secret that we could all just read the thread where you carefully explained to shy exactly how to use it... :p
Huh? Nah that was VF, he's even more thicky than me. I loaded it real easy just by clicking on the link Yaruar provided :D
 

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
932
BlitheringIdiot said:
I r in teh inv1s1ble mod3!!11

I think that means people cant get my IP address and stuff...

/shrug
with invisible mode they cant /who you :p. But ip is still in your hostmask. Hostmask with ident looks like this: ~lycanfrui@user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk. Where ~lycanfrui is the ident and @user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk is the hostmask. With command /dns you can resolve that hostmask to a ip.
[15:49_30] * Resolved user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk to 81.77.174.159.

Only way to protect yourself against that is to connect to a bouncer, proxy or on some servers (including quakenet iirc) you can login in to their bot and get a hostmask something like this: Thomas4.users.netgamers.org

Off course that one is for the irc server netgamers. Quakenet one would prolly have quakenet.org instead of netgamers.org . But amount of hackers on irc isnt that big and if you just keep to daoc channels on quakenet you should probably be fine.

Hurrah! I managed to log onto it! Only problem is I dont like any of those people
you dont like belsameth or just the people who actually chat there?:p
 

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
898
Driwen said:
with invisible mode they cant /who you :p. But ip is still in your hostmask. Hostmask with ident looks like this: ~lycanfrui@user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk. Where ~lycanfrui is the ident and @user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk is the hostmask. With command /dns you can resolve that hostmask to a ip.
[15:49_30] * Resolved user-3743.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk to 81.77.174.159.

Only way to protect yourself against that is to connect to a bouncer, proxy or on some servers (including quakenet iirc) you can login in to their bot and get a hostmask something like this: Thomas4.users.netgamers.org

Off course that one is for the irc server netgamers. Quakenet one would prolly have quakenet.org instead of netgamers.org . But amount of hackers on irc isnt that big and if you just keep to daoc channels on quakenet you should probably be fine.
Ah thanks for the help, I think ill just take a risk then ;)
Driwen said:
you dont like belsameth or just the people who actually chat there?:p
Dont be silly! I just saw SFX, Gomb and Tilda and paniced and left... :eek:
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom