Internet problem with game servers!

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
I've recently got BT Yahoo broadband as i've moved out of my beloved telewests area.

I've got a bt voyager 205 adsl router that goes into the ethernet card in my pc box that i used with telewest without problem.

My browsing is fine but when i start steam i seem to lose connection to browsing, e-mail etc. Also in steam(and also in all seeing eye) i don't seem to be pinging servers properly. Sometimes no servers come up, sometimes around 100 and thats with no filters on. I don't know whether i've got something set up wrong somewhere!

Oh i'm also using windows firewall and norton antivirus 2005.

Cheers in advance,

clueless geordie!

Chilly

Balls of steel
could well be your windows firewall or norton. Turn them off for 5 minutes and try it then. If it all works fine, then turn them back on and repost here with further details - ie firewall setup and whatnot.

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
Hmm same problem with both switched off.

Internet browsing is fine, ping servers in steam or all seeing eye, lose browsing, email and hardly any servers ping(around 100 cs servers in steam and none in a.s.e)

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Possible BT routing problem?

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
My actual ping when on a server is fine, usually under 30. Actual browsing is also always fine, its not until i ping servers that a problem occurs. Not knowing much about these things i'm unsure if its a BT Routing problem. Would this mean a call to the dreaded customer services, no doubt to be told theres nothing that can be done by someone in a far away land? :eek7:

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
Another thing i've noticed. Once this problem occurs, if i click on router manager it comes up that my computer can't connect to my router?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
could be a prob with your router.

when i look at some webpages or try to run an online game, the router restarts its self.

if i use only the modem then its fine.

have you tryed another modem/router thingy?

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
I don't have another router to try it with. Thing is i can imagine the fun of ringing BT Yahoo customer service in an attempt to swap my current one for a new one as the call centre is now in India :(

tris-

maybe borrow one or buy a cheapo one?

i know the idea seems to obsurd.

but your problem is very much like mine and it is to do with the router being gay for me.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ultimate said:
Another thing i've noticed. Once this problem occurs, if i click on router manager it comes up that my computer can't connect to my router?
Set ASE to use the ISDN level settings and give it a try. I found that ASE is geared up for maxing out whatever connection it auto detects, which is fine if the cable goes right into the back of just your PC, but with mine it just nuked the router by making too many requests.

This made me come up with a half fucked list in ASE and lose the ability to connect to my router, so try lowering the settings. I've got them on ISDN and it pings the lot in seconds (cos it blatantly dont stick to the limits) but don't nuke my connection.

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
Seems it is some sort of problem with my router getting nuked. When i press servers in steam it goes to my favourites which is only 8 servers and these ping and refresh without any problems. Its when i try and refresh the big list that it all goes pete tong. ASE seems to knack it no matter what i select my connection as!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Might be that your router cant handle that amount of traffic from all of those servers.

I notice if I ping the entire list of servers in ASE my connection to IRC is terminated...which indicates to me that the router is using all its energies to do that 1 task

...or I could be completely wrong

tris-

i think you are right.

one of you should test another router before i go buy a new one.

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
Bleh even at with bandwidth right down at 10% ASE still flattens it!

G

I had exactly the same issues with a voyager 105 with bt broadband, the router is fucked as its overheating with the packets going through it, ring Bt up and they will send you a replacement.

getting a server list from steam or ASE is probably the most packet intensive thing your router will ever do, my advice would be to get a proper router like a netgear DG632 or a wireless one DG834, you like me probably keep the voyager on all the time, its fucked and needs replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom