Help Internet connection problems

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Just installed a new bt hub5 and although tablet and phone is working fine on the wifi, the PC, which is wired won't connect.

It's saying it can't identify the new hub, and it's saying 'local area connection 2' says it doesn't have a valid ip configuration.

Fuuuuuuuucccckkk

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just installed a new bt hub5 and although tablet and phone is working fine on the wifi, the PC, which is wired won't connect.

It's saying it can't identify the new hub, and it's saying 'local area connection 2' says it doesn't have a valid ip configuration.

Fuuuuuuuucccckkk
Tried ipconfig /renew in a cmd window?

Or do a ipconfig /all and post the results.

Edmond

Had to take a photo as I can't post it from the PC

image.jpg

Edmond

Need to get it sorted or there will be no Sunday morning booty/boob mega posts, and I know you all don't want that to happen, right?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Is your lan connection set to auto settings? If it's manual it might be putting you on the wrong subnet.

Edmond

Is your lan connection set to auto settings? If it's manual it might be putting you on the wrong subnet.
Where would I find the settings?
Edit, found it, ticked the boxes to 'use automatic con script' rebooting the hub and see

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Uh it shouldnt be automatic con script.

Network/connection settings > change adapter settings > properties> tcp/ip 4 and tcp/ip6 and change everything in there to auto, then disable+re-enable the card and it should work.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It is auto, a 169 address means no DHCP, try the network lead in a different socket on the router then do a ip config again. If you keep getting a 169 it means bad cable or the Router is not handing out addresses on the LAN ports.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's not seeing the default gateway for some reason. Check cable and router connection as above.

Edmond

It's not seeing the default gateway for some reason. Check cable and router connection as above.

After all the pissing about, I plugged in the cable that goes to the pc into a different port and it worked, but its the same cable that was plugged into the old hub, I didn't take it out of the pc and it worked fine before

There a 4 yellow ports on the back of the hub and 1 red one. the yellow ones have 'gig ethernet' and the red one has 'Wan broadband'

The other hub was using the red port to go to the pc and the yellow ones go off around the house for the network, I am now using all 4 yellow ones only

What the red one for and why wouldn't that work, or could it just be a faulty hub

soze

I am a FH squatter
What the red one for and why wouldn't that work, or could it just be a faulty hub
WAN is basically the Internet connection. It would be used to connect to a Fibre Modem if you had a seperate one. But the Hub 5 has the Fibre Modem built in I think so you can just ignore it.

Edmond

WAN is basically the Internet connection. It would be used to connect to a Fibre Modem if you had a seperate one. But the Hub 5 has the Fibre Modem built in I think so you can just ignore it.

That makes sense, the old hub3 I was using had a separate modem, only thing is that now ive run out of ports, gonna have to get a switch

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That makes sense, the old hub3 I was using had a separate modem, only thing is that now ive run out of ports, gonna have to get a switch
It's worth having a switch anyway so you can just switch providers in the future without everything needing to be cabled up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom