Interesting discussion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, my fault, sure thing.

Go be happy that it's my fault, you're all great people.

Bugz; it wasn't two questions, if people can't read a whole post and get the question before getting gun happy, it's NOT my problem. I expalined it over and over again. If you also take a look, those that have kept the isults and other bits out, i have answered, that discussion would've worked. So if other people poke me enough to get a reaction, AGAIN, not my fault.

And even if you're right that there are two questions, it's again only an opinion on which is more important to an individual. It doesn't make me a mass child murderer by far.

Calaen; i never did and you enver showed me where i compared a kid to a game. The first post clearly says that i'm comparing the emotions involved.

Now, if you can show me where i did something wrong, where i said something contraversial, go ahead...otherwise, accept blame and shut up about it.

See what you did there again? Took only a part of what i answered you and turned it into another "Tohto does this thing!". Why? Why do you insist on doing that?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
But those questions both end in a question mark & are NOT the same question.

Hence the logical path is to take them as two separate questions & answer them separately.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
But those questions both end in a question mark & are NOT the same question.

Hence the logical path is to take them as two separate questions & answer them separately.

Well this is a third rail on the whole thread, but;

It's not that simple. Sure questions like...

Do you like apples?

Do you like oranges?

...are different, but if someone asks;

Do you like apples?

Taking into consideration all the possible types of apples, does it matter which kind of apple it is?

They are more linked to eachother then previous example.

If you take my initial post, the first; "Aren't they equally important?" was then specified with "If something is dear to someone, is waited for a long time, does it matter what that thing is, if the anticipation and desire are equal to individual persons?"

Same post, same examples, same question set. But it seems people didn't read past the initial assumption that "Games are equal to babies", which i think you can agree on, i never claimed.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Fine. Whatever. We're all wrong - your right.

I didn't say that.

I thought i gave you a valid answer, if you have something you disagree on, do say so.

I'm still very -very- curious on where i've said what people claim and are angry about?

Even if my initial post would've been as clear as; "Is it ok to kill someone because they eat poo?", it still wouldn't be me saying "Kill people who eat poo."

If askign a question automatically means that i am saying it, then i will admit i'm wrong, but that would also mean that it's absolutely bonkers.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
To Thorwyn; evidently my opinion on kids isn't known, as is clearly seen on this thread.

Jesus, dude...
I didn´t mean your opinion ON kids, but your opinion ON getting kids being selfish. Now please don´t make me waste my time using the search function and get some examples from past threads. You HAVE made that statement before, or do you deny that?

If you were as picky with your own statement as you are with other people´s semantics, we wouldn´t have 10 pages of discussion about zilch.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Jesus, dude...
I didn´t mean your opinion ON kids, but your opinion ON getting kids being selfish. Now please don´t make me waste my time using the search function and get some examples from past threads. You HAVE made that statement before, or do you deny that?

If you were as picky with your own statement as you are with other people´s semantics, we wouldn´t have 10 pages of discussion about zilch.

See how it feels when your words are mistaken or turned? Accidental result, but you get it.

Yes, my opinion on getting kids being selfish is clear, i'm not backing on that statement, but it's neither here nor there regarding this thread.

And it doesn't make me inhuman or an alien, as someone so nicely put it. A child by another, even a raging homo. All because i used a child in an example and didn't comment on it being less or not. I asked a question, this is evidently wrong in todays world.

I think many would agree that there is some unvalid judgement towards me here, when i've not said what is claimed and this judgement has in a definate way derailed the whole thing.

Now if that statement is wrong, do show how.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Had this with a person(like ti matters who :p);

First;

Couple A waits for a kid for 2 years. Tries and tries, no go, and finally that one day they find out that she's pregnant. Kid is in the way and all the expectations, all the hopes and dreams are coming true.

Marvelous right?

Second;

A gamer is a huge fan of Megakill 2000. Greatest shooter ever. Can't get enough. He hears that in two years, "Megakill 3000 - Extra kill!" is coming out. He waits and waits, speculates, writes on forums, draws fan arts, and finally that day comes and he gets the game.

Good times.

Now, the question here is; aren't these two equally important?

Forget about what the kid can do, species lastivity etc.

If something is dear to someone, is waited for a long time, does it matter what that thing is, if the anticipation and desire are equal to individual persons?

Calaen; i never did and you enver showed me where i compared a kid to a game. The first post clearly says that i'm comparing the emotions involved.

So the question is, if an individual deems a new game coming out more important then having a child then is their emotional response less important because of the nature of the item in wanting?

On a personal level, of course not as emotions are afterall, subjective. If in both scenarios the individuals happiness is measurably (theoretically) equal, the importance to the individual is equal. That's why as human beings we prioritise to try and achieve our own goals. Happiness = happiness on an individual level and always will; it's unarguable as it's a personal emotion.

From an outsider looking in, it's also merely going to be down to their own judgement of which is more important. Really, there is little benefit in blanket, judging the situation one way or another as both situations can have so many shades of grey we'd never cover them all. For example, if the child bearing couple are both continually in and out of prison, I'm sure the public would be happier for them not to breed, thus be happier for someone looking forward to an event. Sadly I fear a person in waiting for a computer game has several negative society based connotations closely linked with it however. We all joked in DAoC about chat up lines based on the merits of a persons character built up in game which can be applicable to this instance also. Tell someone a new game is coming out and just how happy you are about it and they'll walk away. The chances are, talking about your impending child will harbour a different response, regardless of the personal happiness gained from either instance.

Child bearing will always draw in a higher level of judgement however as the effect of having a child, although arguably also a selfish task, will ultimately have a greater bearing on the environment then someone living the life of solitude. It's a collective society based thought on the matter and to be honest, the individuals gain through one mode of thought IS less important then what society thinks, rightly or wrongly. If the individuals view of happiness ALWAYS took precedant over society then who would we be to then argue against tyranny, murder etc etc; it must therefore come down to a society based view as to what is more right or wrong.

Live and let live... until the 'living' starts to effect those around them.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Think you just killed the thread, i've got nothing to add to that :D

While a game is socially less important, the socially part being everchanging these days, the persons beliefs are still equally valid in personal happiness scale.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Tell someone a new game is coming out and just how happy you are about it and they'll walk away. The chances are, talking about your impending child will harbour a different response, regardless of the personal happiness gained from either instance.

dude, I get blank stares when I tell people I help mod a gaming forum in my free time. as a test, next time someone asks, I'm telling them it's a self-help thing for recovering emo's who /wrist at the drop of a hat. I wonder if there will be a differing response. there probably will be.

FUCK! Children dude! CHILDREN!

paedobear.png

Marc

FH is my second home
I know the point Toh is trying to make. His problem is, like every other post he makes along the same vein is that the point is disguised in between a load of random bollocks that doesnt make sense.

You have to sift through the afore mentioned bollocks and try to decipher the point he is trying to make.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I know the point Toh is trying to make. His problem is, like every other post he makes along the same vein is that the point is disguised in between a load of random bollocks that doesnt make sense.

You have to sift through the afore mentioned bollocks and try to decipher the point he is trying to make.

Well i thought my initial psot was quite straight forward :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom