Intels new processors being recalled

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It's the chipsets to go with it, not the CPU. Seems a fairly major issue on them - SATA ports degrading over time. I'm told you need them for a PC.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
In the same boat was looking at the new Sandybridge for my new build. May have to think of something else.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Chipsets — Alert for Intel® 6 Series Express Chipsets and Intel® Xeon® C200 Chipsets users

As stated they'll have the updated parts out by end of this month although how long it takes to make it to retail is probably going to be a bit longer. As per normal if you've already bought one the exact process isn't exactly clear with Intel being a little bit fuzzy as it deals with the various companies it provides chips to at the present time.

*****SANDYBRIDGE MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET ISSUE***** - Overclockers UK Forums

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Glad I went with the 1156 now. I am hearing if you use the 6gb ports (first 2 I believe) you should be ok.

Kryten

Old Cow.
This has brought up an interesting solution. Intel have specifically told retailers they are free to continue selling them if they so wish. And to do so, the retailer needs an incentive, as does the consumer, which means there are some absolutely STONKING prices for these motherboards at the moment. Some retailers are selling them off at knocked down prices AND throwing in 4 port SATA3 controller cards with them.
You could actually end up with a stupidly decent bit of kit for around half the intended price.
Downsides?
1. You lose a PCI-E slot. Usually one of those 1x ones you never actually ever need other than filling the gap with a double width graphics card.
2. That nagging doubt in the back of the mind that something is wrong with your hardware. It is linked, albeit slightly more tenuously to the PCI-E and system buses. I've been a little concerned about any impact faulty "passengers" on this bus or anything else connected to it.
However it's worth noting that the degredation is something that will/may happen over time. We're not talking the week after you buy it, unless you intend to overclock everything to high buggery. By the time this takes effect, anyone who has bought one of these is likely to have upgraded anyway.
Or if you have a replacement SATA card, then this may not be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom