Insurance

Laddey

FH is my second home
If i get insured on a car at my home its around £5000...If i get insured on the same car at my dads (15miles away) it drops to 1900 quid.

Although i dont live there, could i state on my insurance that i do?

All i wanna know is do you have to provide proof of address with insurance? Thats ALL i would like to know, not about fraud or invalid insurance etc.

Cheers peeps

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
I don't think I have ever needed to provide proof of address, only proof of no claims discount

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Not that I'm aware of, all your paperwork will go to your dad's place though.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cheers dudes :worthy:

5k to 1.9k. what a joke!

Chilly

Balls of steel
it's completely illegal, but you can if you want. just make sure you dont get busted.

Corran

Part of the furniture
if you have an accident and they figure out that you do not live at the property you state that you are at they can refuse you a payout. Up to you if you want to take the risk though, is a massive difference in price. they must think your area is really shit

Laddey

FH is my second home
if you have an accident and they figure out that you do not live at the property you state that you are at they can refuse you a payout. Up to you if you want to take the risk though, is a massive difference in price. they must think your area is really shit
My area is really nice though thats the thing.

I got quoted on my old punto at mine and my dads house, the price difference was like £97.

But i got quoted on this VXR and the price difference is un real.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Your insurance will be invalid if you falsify your details. Driving with invalid insurance is illegal. Yes it would also be fraud.

They won't pay out if they find out, and insurance companies go to great lengths to avoid paying out. You would then end up with a civil court case in the event that the accident/damage is your fault because the other side would obviousl want money for repairs/compo etc. Then add whatever penalty points you would get for not having valid insurance which would push any future insurance up too.

However, 5k insurance is quite laughable and so is 1.9k, you will be paying £5 a day just to drive your car and that's with invalid insurance... if you want valid insurance you will be paying £13.69 a day.

You haven't been driving long though so shouldn't you have got something a little less expensive? I know premiums are retarded atm but that is a huge amount to pay.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Laddey, get (a lot) more quotes, phone around, not just web comparison websites.

You don't want to be in a position where you need to claim or someone claims against you and you suddenly aren't insured.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Yeah i get that guys, thanks.

My driving license is registered at my dads, all my bank statements and any sort of correspondence goes to my dads. How would they find out?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My driving license is registered at my dads

This carries a fine of up to £1000 itself. Seriously mate, it's really not worth the risk and dangers of not being insured in the event of an accident.

Even if you got caught speeding and had to produce your licence, I wouldn't want to risk it. Do the right thing.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How would they find out?

Downfall statement of many a blooming criminals ;)

What you should ask is; can i cope if/when they find out.

I know f*ck all about insurance shiz, but i do know that it sounds like a bad idea.

Laddey

FH is my second home
You're all right.

Fuckin insurance what a joke!

- English -

Resident Freddy
Insurance in the UK is bullshit. Where I used to live there was an incident of 90+ car scratchings in one night. Basically some drunken idiot had walked home from the pub and took alot of cars on the way home. Considering it is usually a nice quiet town, this was a major incident. Ofcouse the insurance companies loved this up, raising premiums in our area from a low grade to something like moss side, which meant the 3 months I needed insuring before I moved to Denmark would have cost me something like £800. So I just put it all at my brothers address in Leicester and paid like £70. If i was ever stopped, I had prepared what i'd say (i was visiting "home". I changed the car details to his name, so basically he was the main driver and the car's location was always at leicester, and I'd say i was living down there for Uni.

edit: fuck you robbing bastards insurance companies!:p

Laddey

FH is my second home
Insurance in the UK is bullshit. Where I used to live there was an incident of 90+ car scratchings in one night. Basically some drunken idiot had walked home from the pub and took alot of cars on the way home. Considering it is usually a nice quiet town, this was a major incident. Ofcouse the insurance companies loved this up, raising premiums in our area from a low grade to something like moss side, which meant the 3 months I needed insuring before I moved to Denmark would have cost me something like £800. So I just put it all at my brothers address in Leicester and paid like £70. If i was ever stopped, I had prepared what i'd say (i was visiting "home". I changed the car details to his name, so basically he was the main driver and the car's location was always at leicester, and I'd say i was living down there for Uni.

edit: fuck you robbing bastards insurance companies!:p

But if you're just a named driver on his policy, wont this mean you don't build up your no claims?

I was thinking of this...........

Registering the car in my name but putting my dad as an additional driver. He's been driving for years now.

Or the other way round?

- English -

Resident Freddy
Some companies give 2nd driver noclaims if you stick with them (direct line etc). Tbh it didn't bother me anyway. EU has such a better system of to "insure the car", which basically means anyone can drive it with permission and a licence.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Definitely add your parents as registered drivers if they have a big no claims.

Himse

FH is my second home
I'm hoping something is eventually done about the insurance prices, they really just don't make sense at the moment..

I can get insured on my mums 3.2l v6 alfa for the same price as my 1.4 mg zr..

A Noble M12 GTO 3R, which is 3L twin turbo, is only £100 more than my 1.4.

Like it's obvious those two cars are rare, so they are not crashed as much, but I can't wait till people find they can get what is literally borderline supercar for 20k and pittance to insure!

Corran

Part of the furniture
But if you're just a named driver on his policy, wont this mean you don't build up your no claims?

I was thinking of this...........

Registering the car in my name but putting my dad as an additional driver. He's been driving for years now.

Or the other way round?

only way for that to work would be him to be the main driver....

BUT....

car registered in your name = you are fucked. Sure they will accept the payments but the moment that there is an accident they will look and go "Youngster owns car, father main driver... no payment as clearly this was to reduce premium as the youngster owning it would be the main driver"

You would need EVERYTHING in your fathers name. Car, Insurance, Bank, registered address for car etc.... and also if he has another car they will then start questioning why he needs 2 cars and the use of each etc etc.

And i believe i saw yesterday that insurance companies are now under investigation by ofcom or whatever the regulator is because of the 40% rise in price that they all suddenly have put on insurance

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
If i get insured on a car at my home its around £5000...If i get insured on the same car at my dads (15miles away) it drops to 1900 quid.

Although i dont live there, could i state on my insurance that i do?

Cheers peeps

If you don't live alone. Can't you just register at that address to get around that and then just have your post forwarded to where you currently live?

It's dodgy but not illegal i think...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You're absolutely 100% sure about that Tom?

Pretty sure, unless you can quote the legislation that states that declaring the wrong address on one's insurance is against the law.

AFAIC it's a contractual matter. You're insured until the insurance company say you're not.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yeah i get that guys, thanks.

My driving license is registered at my dads, all my bank statements and any sort of correspondence goes to my dads. How would they find out?

Maybe if your car got nicked outside your real address? Have you tried adding your Dad as a named driver? I did that with my Dad and it dropped the price of my policy by £100.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Pretty sure, unless you can quote the legislation that states that declaring the wrong address on one's insurance is against the law.

AFAIC it's a contractual matter. You're insured until the insurance company say you're not.

The insurance company can take fraud proceedings against you if they so wished, so it can be a criminal message and not just a civil matter... though it is unlikely to go that far unless they wish to set an example.

Most likely they will just turn round, and say your insurance is void and that they will not pay a penny out... I have known them to refuse paying out for stolen vehicles because of undeclared alloy wheels, and also for undeclared upgraded sound systems....

they can and will do anything to avoid paying out on a policy so the less reasons they are given the better. Personally I wouldnt bother getting a car with such a high premium anyways. I know most youngsters are hit with high premiums, but many moons ago when I started to drive and it wasnt so bad I still started with a 1L fiesta simply to keep premium down.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
If your licence is at your dads house you'll be ok, but there are many ways if they get suspicous, electoral, roll, census etc, even spying on you .
They are legallly obliged to pay out 3rd parties, but all your claims would be refused, IF they could prove you didn't live there, it's agrey area like all insurance, they have the terms and conditions like 10 pages long and then they just throw in a ton of if's and maybe's, they are a fuckin joke.

Main user of the car....how do you prove that, what is the criteria..it's up to them and for you to fight their high paid lawyers.
Occasional use.....WTF, how open to interpretation is that!
The don't mention ,MOT, the car has to be kept in 'roadworthy' condition, which clearly includes them refusing a claim for too much play in your steering wheel.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH

Fraud Act 2006

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Maybe if your car got nicked outside your real address? Have you tried adding your Dad as a named driver? I did that with my Dad and it dropped the price of my policy by £100.

That works, until you crash the car. :)

Or are you also registered as the cars driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom