Insurance

soze

I am a FH squatter
That works, until you crash the car. :)

Or are you also registered as the cars driver?

Yeah I am the main registered driver but my dad is a named driver. I do not know why it worked but it did.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I'm hoping something is eventually done about the insurance prices, they really just don't make sense at the moment..

I can get insured on my mums 3.2l v6 alfa for the same price as my 1.4 mg zr..

A Noble M12 GTO 3R, which is 3L twin turbo, is only £100 more than my 1.4.

Like it's obvious those two cars are rare, so they are not crashed as much, but I can't wait till people find they can get what is literally borderline supercar for 20k and pittance to insure!

The thing is with cars like that, they are often owned by enthusiasts, not your average boy racer. Insurance companies like enthusiasts, they maintain their car and they (generally) have a lot more care on the roads. Its the same mindset as motorcycle riders, they tend to care for their bikes, its more like a hobby for them.

BTW Laddey; stating that your dad owns the car but you actually do is called Fronting. They will void your policy. Just don't bother, its not worth the risk.

By they way, the act of declaring that you live at a different address than what you actually do goes against one of the basic principals on insurance (and the one thats broken the most in my experience) of utmost good faith. If you ever had any accident and wanted to claim, the company can cancel your policy ab initio (as if it never existed) as if they had known where you really lived, they might not have accepted the risk.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Having the car in your name Andy as.policy holder with your dad.as a named.driver will.reduce.the premium as it spreads the risk.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Having the car in your name Andy as.policy holder with your dad.as a named.driver will.reduce.the premium as it spreads the risk.

Thats correct, if his dads got a good NCB on then it'll reduce his premium a fair whack I imagine, but if he puts the policy under his dads name just to get a lower premium, then thats fronting, and against the 'law'.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
hate to say it, but if you cant afford to insure your car.. get something else.

i cant abide people who fuck around with insurance related stuff. dont be a chavvy fucker, fill the forms in correctly and get it sorted. as was mentioned, ask/shop around, but for gods sake dont lie cos you could be in trouble at the end of the day.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
hate to say it, but if you cant afford to insure your car.. get something else.

i cant abide people who fuck around with insurance related stuff. dont be a chavvy fucker, fill the forms in correctly and get it sorted. as was mentioned, ask/shop around, but for gods sake dont lie cos you could be in trouble at the end of the day.

Agree, at the end of the day, having a car is kind of a luxury. If you can't afford the bits that go with it, don't get one.

gohan

FH is my second home
Agree, at the end of the day, having a car is kind of a luxury. If you can't afford the bits that go with it, don't get one.

more like a nessesity nowadays :<

most companies expect you do be able to cover over branches ect that may be 40 miles away, I now work in southampton city centre (8 miles west from house) and at a paintball sire on weekends (4 miles east from house) and go to college at Eastliegh (6 miles North of house)

that's a fair old raidius and not one i could do without a car, can get a bus into the city 1 per hour, and i'd have to get a bus back out to eastliegh (45 mins to s'ton then about 45 mins back out), and wouldn't be able to get to the paintball site atall as it's in the sticks, if i lost my car i'd be royaly fucked

soze

I am a FH squatter
more like a nessesity nowadays :<

most companies expect you do be able to cover over branches ect that may be 40 miles away, I now work in southampton city centre (8 miles west from house) and at a paintball sire on weekends (4 miles east from house) and go to college at Eastliegh (6 miles North of house)

that's a fair old raidius and not one i could do without a car, can get a bus into the city 1 per hour, and i'd have to get a bus back out to eastliegh (45 mins to s'ton then about 45 mins back out), and wouldn't be able to get to the paintball site atall as it's in the sticks, if i lost my car i'd be royaly fucked

The point was if you can't afford the car you own get a cheaper car. I have passed on upgrading my boring arse car for a fun car several times because issuance was not practical. If all you need is a business tool then a bog standard 1l Fielsta Studio should save a fair wack.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

8 miles will take 30 minutes or less on a road bike. Unless you're disabled you don't need a car. I do between 150-250 miles a week cycling, it's easy.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
get something old, with a small engine
or a Gwhiz

buy a car for your budget

dont buy a car, then struggle to budget it :twak:

and yes i am particularly bitter about this, having had my car written off june last year, they are still fucking my insurers around

"oh it was stolen"
"no it wasnt, i have the witness statement given to the police to prove it wasnt"
"ah well sir, we dont actually check with the police statements until it goes to court"

!"?!?"!?£!"?£2

/bang head on desk

Laddey

FH is my second home
I appreciate your input.

Who said i cant afford the premium though? Surely i didnt say it. I may complain about the price that doesn't mean i can't afford it.

Chavvy fucker? jerk.

Anyway...I've had a change of heart with the car. A bit mental paying insurance which is half of what the car is worth.

She arrives on Tuesday. My insurance is less than 2 grand on this and its new.

Benfield Renault / Nissan Carlisle : NISSAN JUKE 1.6 DiG-T Acenta 5dr (Sport Pack) (not that actual car, mines coming from Chorley Nissan)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I appreciate your input.

Who said i cant afford the premium though? Surely i didnt say it. I may complain about the price that doesn't mean i can't afford it.

Chavvy fucker? jerk.

Anyway...I've had a change of heart with the car. A bit mental paying insurance which is half of what the car is worth.

She arrives on Tuesday. My insurance is less than 2 grand on this and its new.

Benfield Renault / Nissan Carlisle : NISSAN JUKE 1.6 DiG-T Acenta 5dr (Sport Pack) (not that actual car, mines coming from Chorley Nissan)

This is more what we are getting at; if you moan about it there is a implication that you dont want to/can't afford it.

Like I said, having a car is a luxury. Its like buying a cat and then moaning when the vet bill comes through for an operation it needs.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Oh come on, what's wrong with moaning about insurance premiums, or the price of anything?

I moan constantly about paying 3.80 for pints where I live. Can I afford them? Of course I can. Do I drink them? Of course I do.

Moaning is a right!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Moaning is a right!

And so is telling people they are daft for moaning!

At the end of the day, theres a lot you can do to decrease the price of car insurance, theres pretty much shit all you can do about the price of a pint.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

But can the policy holder drive the car then without risk of trouble if something happens? Or is the "self risk" (don't know the proper word) amount just higher if the policy holder drives it and something happens?

Isn't there some confusing rules in England when it comes to unnamed drivers and accidents?

soze

I am a FH squatter
But can the policy holder drive the car then without risk of trouble if something happens? Or is the "self risk" (don't know the proper word) amount just higher if the policy holder drives it and something happens?

Isn't there some confusing rules in England when it comes to unnamed drivers and accidents?

If a car has fully comp insurance and so do you some policies let you drive that car with 3rd Party, Fire and Theft I think. So you can loan your mate your car and everyone else is covered but damage to your car is not.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
You can get Driving other cars, but when driving another car other than your own, the cover is restricted to Third Party Only. (No fire & theft).

Rubric

Part of the furniture

Yes, I discovered.this.when my wife passed her test. Brought her, her own car, asked.to take her off my policy and it made it go up. More drivers on a policy is less.risk apparently.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Grammar snob inc! :(

What's with the periods mid sentence?

Laddey

FH is my second home
This is more what we are getting at; if you moan about it there is a implication that you dont want to/can't afford it.

Like I said, having a car is a luxury. Its like buying a cat and then moaning when the vet bill comes through for an operation it needs.

It's not really, it's like moaning about the price of the operation the cat needs. The operation would be a neccessity(sp) like car insurance.

Because i moan about paying 5000 a year doesnt mean i cant afford it. It means i dont want to pay it, which im not.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
It's not really, it's like moaning about the price of the operation the cat needs.

Which is what I said.

I also said that when you moan there is an implication that you don't want to pay it...

Anyway, enough of that. This makes me sound like I don't moan about anything, which is completely untrue!

Dudley52

Part of the furniture

Laddey

FH is my second home
Didn't know you was a hairdresser Laddey! hehe just kiddin, what you up to these days anyway mate? Still doing the window cleaning? Thought you wanted a van last time I heard!
Well i invested in the window cleaning round and then i got offered a job dry lining which i done years ago, the money i got offered was to good to turn down.

So i found a window cleaner, contacted him and now i rent my round for a percentage of what its worth every clean (2 weeks mainly) so it's a nice little earner really.

How are you pal?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yes, I discovered.this.when my wife passed her test. Brought her, her own car, asked.to take her off my policy and it made it go up. More drivers on a policy is less.risk apparently.

Try reading that as its typed, that's hilarious

(I'm not having a go, I know you did it off a phone ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom