Instant Messengers

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I have been building up a IM list and was wondering if there is a combined IM that will handle MSN, Yahoo and AOL and everything else.

I do remember Trillian, but can anyone give me the latest on combined IM apps ?

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I absolutely adore Miranda. It's a tiny, extremely customizable app that's completely free :D

Really, it rocks. And, apart from the things listed above, it has a ton of neato* features.

*Fear my geeky prowess.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
To the best of my knowledge Trillian is still a good place to look. They produce a free version as well as the "Pro" 2.0 version. Also does IRC iirc.

Xavier's the best person to give advice on it since he's used both versions I think.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
I have used trillian 2.0.. there is no real differences between that and the free version.. Except the plugins. None of which look of any use to me anyway. 0.74 does a great job for me :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Try GAIM (gaim.sourceforge.net) - it's as stable as trillian (if not more so imho) and identical to the linux version which ships with SuSe.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Im using Trillian at work, simply because it installs without having to have an Admin do it for meh :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Trillian works for me (at home)

Yahoo
MSN
IRC
....the works.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I got Trillian Basic going last night, seems okay, although the supplied skin sucked big time, had to spend ages looking for a "normal" XP skin as most of the catalogue didn't work with the latest version.

No webcam or audio by the looks of it though, although that is asking too much, but I could easy switch back to MSN Messenger for that anyhow.

Only complaint is that I normally have my messengers stuck against the right hand side of the screen, but with Trillian when an e-mail arrives the balloon text pop up goes off the right edge and I can't see it, it would be nicer doing it the way MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger does with a little pop up over the systray.

Had a conversation on it as well last night, works fine, I have yet to try out ICQ and IRC, might stick with it.

Where do all the ex-Barryworlders hang out on IRC now then ?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
xane

check the preferences with regards to the pop-ups. You should be able to set it the way you want.

As to IRC, you may want to consider creating "containers" which holds all of the IRC rooms you are in. Prevents multiple IRC sessions in your taskbar.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
#freddyshouse on Quakenet, strangely enough ;)

Clown

Part of the furniture
#clowneh :p

Last time I tried to install Trillian, Ad-aware went bonkers at me :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom