Instanced rvr

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
Just because its harder to prove someone is the best in a game, doesnt mean that game requires less skill to play though.
Yes but no matter how good you are, it will never show as you will lose vs. others anyway no matter what, being good only makes you lose a little bit less. You don't have to be good to get rr11, you just need a lot of time. If you're good + have a lot of time you can get rr11 faster.

Any way, there is no "best daoc player", no matter how hard some might find that to believe that they aren't xD

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
i said it would be a FPS just without the skill, what you say is not what i said :/
Yes, what I said isn't what you said.
Xeanor said:
Any way, there is no "best daoc player", no matter how hard some might find that to believe that they aren't xD
Who are the best UT2004 and Halo players and how they that tittle? Oo

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Who are the best UT2004 and Halo players and how they that tittle? Oo

On special (irl ofc) events, winner gets a shitload of cash aswell

both players have get exactly the same options availible to them, which wouldnt work with daoc because both groups/players would have to be identical (classes/ra's/specs/stats/sc) which is currently quite impossible, thats why it cant be measured here...

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
On special (irl ofc) events, winner gets a shitload of cash aswell
And how do we know that "the best" player is joining that event at all? All we find out is the best players of that event, that's it. Sure, cash is good enough motive to join up for many peeps but not for everyone.
Morchaoron said:
both players have get exactly the same options availible to them, which wouldnt work with daoc because both groups/players would have to be identical (classes/ra's/specs/stats/sc) which is currently quite impossible, thats why it cant be measured here...
Mythic could organise such an event if they wanted to :cool:

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
And how do we know that "the best" player is joining that event at all? All we find out is the best players of that event, that's it. Sure, cash is good enough motive to join up for many peeps but not for everyone.
ehhhh, isnt this exactly the same with sports?
if you think you are the best, and can win the world title and the average $25.000 it would be a bit dumb if you dont join imo...

Saggy said:
Mythic could organise such an event if they wanted to :cool:

but they dont :p

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
if you think you are the best, and can win the world title and the average $25.000 it would be a bit dumb if you dont join imo...
One can be too shy, too fat, too lazy or rich enough not to bother just to give few reasons not to join :cool: Or simply not knowing about such events Oo

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Yeah, but there is still going to be the best daoc-player :cool:

Logically there is a best for everything, but if you cant measure it such information is useless :p

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Yeah, but there is still going to be the best daoc-player :cool:
No there isn't.

Make it completely fair:

Both infiltrator, both the same spec, same weapons, stats, RAs, etc. etc.

There's a best "style combo" to use, they both click the same styles, they both do everything at the same time (as fast as is possible in daoc), they both react the same way to misses/evades (there's a best way for that), the one who's lucky with the evades/misses will win.

The only reason why it's like that is because of the luck involved, and because the "they both do everything at the same time" is very limited. In a FPS game you could shoot someone _instantly_ when he comes around the corner, now, no-one can do that except someone with an aim-bot or someone who's just really fast and lucky he managed that, but in daoc it's limited, you see enemies approaching, you have _a lot_ of time to click them, hit face/stick, and you have waaaaay too much time between styles to click them. There's a limit to how fast you need to be in daoc, there isn't in FPS games.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
One can be too shy, too fat, too lazy or rich enough not to bother just to give few reasons not to join :cool: Or simply not knowing about such events Oo
It costs €10 to enter the qualifications and they pay your flight/hotel/etc.

And you can say the same about sports too. Those that don't join the olympics/set a worldrecord might be better, but if they don't show themselves then they have no right to say so.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Morchaoron said:
Logically there is a best for everything, but if you cant measure it such information is useless :p
Yes, when skill is involved there is always someone who is better than others. You can measure daoc-players "skills" by looking at their RPs or FPS-players "skills" by looking at their frags-count - neither of them shows the whole truth.
Xeanor said:
And you can say the same about sports too. Those that don't join the olympics/set a worldrecord might be better, but if they don't show themselves then they have no right to say so.
Yes, they have no right to say so but it still doesn't change the fact they are better. I wouldn't brag and claim to be the best Halo-player if I win event mentioned above, might even say that the worse player won thanks to good luck if that was the case.

Daoc is more of an team-based game which makes finding the best player even harder - suppose the only way to do it is watching movies and voting, that would give just as valid winner as 1vs1 FPS-game events. Do we know the best player is recording at all? No, we dont :cool:

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Yes, when skill is involved there is always someone who is better than others. You can measure daoc-players "skills" by looking at their RPs or FPS-players "skills" by looking at their frags-count - neither of them shows the whole truth.
Oh, playing a 15-minute UT2004 match will show the truth. The best wins.
And realm points = time spent, has nothing to do with skill.

Yes, they have no right to say so but it still doesn't change the fact they are better. I wouldn't brag and claim to be the best Halo-player if I win event mentioned above, might even say that the worse player won thanks to good luck if that was the case.
Your definition of "The Best" is wrong, there could always be someone better in your case, maybe someone is better than a person who won a world championshop 10 times, maybe someone is, but there could also be someone better than that person, your definition has a false "best" person. But if someone wins a championship with extremely good players, he's the best in my books. (in that year) If he wins multiple championships, he's the best ever, in my books.

Daoc is more of an team-based game which makes finding the best player even harder - suppose the only way to do it is watching movies and voting, that would give just as valid winner as 1vs1 FPS-game events. Do we know the best player is recording at all? No, we dont :cool:
Voting doesn't give a valid winner, and recording doesn't say it all. It's about winning. I suppose you play more nervously when youre at a world tournament and 1000 people are watching how you do it, rather than when youre at home or something and just do it for fun or training. The best = if you can do it perfect, and keep doing it perfect when there's pressure on you. (If you lose this, you miss out on the 1st title, $**** cash, etc.)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Xeanor said:
Your definition of "The Best" is wrong, there could always be someone better in your case, maybe someone is better than a person who won a world championshop 10 times, maybe someone is, but there could also be someone better than that person, your definition has a false "best" person. But if someone wins a championship with extremely good players, he's the best in my books. (in that year) If he wins multiple championships, he's the best ever, in my books.
You can't be the best by not being the best and by being the best you are the best and no one can be better than the best :p You seldomly dont find that person and in Daoc's case that is almost impossible for the very same reason why you find it almost impossible to name the best footballer - its team-based. Does that mean one of the players isn't better than the others? No. Is the winner of 1vs1 Halo fight the best Halo player? No, he could be the best at 1vs1 but that's not all Halo is about ;o
Morchaoron said:
who says they are better? ;o
They just are and they may know it or they may not know it :cool:

Do I consider Greece the best European country in football because they won European Championship last summer? No, I do not. Do I consider Canada the best in ice-hockey because they won Olympic this year? No, I do not. For me being the best isn't just winning, you have to have style too.

None of us do exactly the same thing in exactly the same situation in Daoc and for each situations there is the best thing to do - the one who is best at that is the best Daoc-player. Will we ever know who s/he is? Hardly, but s/he still exists ;o

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
You can't be the best by not being the best and by being the best you are the best and no one can be better than the best :p
You can be the best, defeat everyone who thought they were better, and you're the best.

You seldomly dont find that person and in Daoc's case that is almost impossible for the very same reason why you find it almost impossible to name the best footballer - its team-based.
That's right. Football is team-based and thus you can never say someone is the "best footballer".

Does that mean one of the players isn't better than the others? No. Is the winner of 1vs1 Halo fight the best Halo player? No, he could be the best at 1vs1 but that's not all Halo is about ;o
He is the best Halo playerof 2004 at least, he defeated those that thought they were better. And 1vs1 is not Halo is all about?.... The game isn't different in 1vs1 or anything, it includes everything from the game apart from teamplay, but teamplay = "the best team", you can't speak of individuals there.

They just are and they may know it or they may not know it :cool:
You can always keep saying this and never see a "best". What most people call the best = the one that wins most.

Do I consider Greece the best European country in football because they won European Championship last summer? No, I do not. Do I consider Canada the best in ice-hockey because they won Olympic this year? No, I do not. For me being the best isn't just winning, you have to have style too.
Teams can't be compared, as the performance of a team is quite "variable", it changes daily and their performance totally depends on who they're facing. (Team A defeats Team B 10-0, next day Team B defeats Team C 10-0, then next day Team C defeats Team A 10-0) The only thing teams can do is win tournaments by luck of events and eventually choosing the right choices in the right situations.

None of us do exactly the same thing in exactly the same situation in Daoc and for each situations there is the best thing to do - the one who is best at that is the best Daoc-player.
There is a relativaly low limit to that. There's not that much to daoc, every class does their usual thing in most situations, for example, a wizard in fg vs. fg, the thing he does is choose the right target (usually, all the good players will choose the same target if you question them "which of these 8 would you choose first"), nuke it, get interrupted yes or no, and then your next move... most do this exactly the same - the best way, which is quite obvious in daoc (imo). There's also a bit more things like positioning, etc., but those things are quite irrelevant most of the times, when they aren't thought of. (Like, I don't care where I am when i nuke the shit out of someone with a wizard, I do care about standing in line of sight when defending a keep - something everyone thinks of)

Will we ever know who s/he is? Hardly, but s/he still exists ;o
The difference between the best and the 2nd best would be extremely small as 95% of the best choices to do in situations are very obvious and a lot of people can make the best choices there. The difference is so small that it wouldn't make a difference between winning or losing, maybe 1 out of a 1000 fights.

vintervargen

Banned
you cant measure the skill in daoc compared to for example CS.

CS has existed much longer, and if you play CS, you play it. you aim, you learn tactics, tricks, and you get experience whenever you play it. in daoc, you must exp, kill mobs and other shit.

if you'd have same amount of ppl playing daoc like CS, and ONLY RvRing whenever they logged on, you'd see the same skill i can assure you.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
I cant believe this is being argued upon :p Anyways,. the arena thing looks fun, will be fun to battle opted grps vs eachothers without getting adds.

And for the ones who dont agree.. well dont f***ing do the arena thing then ;o how hard can it be.. :touch:

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Ah well, deleted my long essay because I dont believe we will ever agree on this. For you being the best is all about winning, for me it isn't. I believe there is always someone better than the rest in everything, you believe only things that can "easily" measured can have the best persons. I dont care about knowing who is the best, you do. I dont think we will ever find the best in anything, you do. I dont see "the one and only" way to measure who is the best, you do. Matter of opinions and opinions are something we can always argue about :cool:

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Ah well, deleted my long essay because I dont believe we will ever agree on this.
That's right, I believe in something logical and you only believe something that will never lead to a result.

For you being the best is all about winning, for me it isn't. I believe there is always someone better than the rest in everything
you believe only things that can "easily" measured can have the best persons.
Ok, put it like this:
1 Revmeup Wizard 50 15,014,435 Merlin
That guy is the best at one thing, having the most rps of all wizards, and now try telling me that isn't true. He is the best at having most rps of all wizards until someone else overtakes him.

I dont care about knowing who is the best, you do. I dont think we will ever find the best in anything, you do. I dont see "the one and only" way to measure who is the best, you do. Matter of opinions and opinions are something we can always argue about :cool:
There is a best in everything, it just depends on the definition of the best. And it can change, yes yes.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
vintervargen said:
if you'd have same amount of ppl playing daoc like CS, and ONLY RvRing whenever they logged on, you'd see the same skill i can assure you.
You'd only see skilled teams, individuals would all be nearly the same as they all play almost exactly the same.

vintervargen

Banned
Xeanor said:
You'd only see skilled teams, individuals would all be nearly the same as they all play almost exactly the same.

nah. you'd get faster on deciding what and how to do things. aim would get better (as the milliseconds would start count), so would your reactions.

it would never be possible to compare the skill between individual players because of RA's/class etcetera, but it would be there.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
vintervargen said:
nah. you'd get faster on deciding what and how to do things. aim would get better (as the milliseconds would start count), so would your reactions.

it would never be possible to compare the skill between individual players because of RA's/class etcetera, but it would be there.
It's there, but the limit is relatively low, like the time you have to press a spell again to add it to the spell queue, you just have to be fast enough to press it within that time, which is quite easy to learn. :p Reactions make a difference in daoc, but not that much 99% of the times. :)

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Xeanor said:
Ok, put it like this:
1 Revmeup Wizard 50 15,014,435 Merlin
That guy is the best at one thing, having the most rps of all wizards, and now try telling me that isn't true. He is the best at having most rps of all wizards until someone else overtakes him.

Could be false if someone had /webdisplay none? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom