Rant Insomnia FFS!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I never had any problems with sleeping. Never ever! Until a couple of weeks ago that is.

At the moment, it goes something like this:
I go to bed (mildly or REALLY tired, doesn´t matter which) at some random time and fall asleep. 2-3 hours later, I wake up from some noise (cat, cars outside, music from the neighbours.. whatever) and then I`m unable to find sleep for another 2-3 hours. When it´s getting close to dawn, I finally sleep for another hour until the alarm clock buzzes, leaving me like a zombie for the rest of the day. WTF is this?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Even if that's not really insomnia(had it, not fun...), it's still a b*tch.

I'd suggest earplugs, but i'm guessing you're one of these 18 hours of sleep ain't a problem :D

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Even if that's not really insomnia(had it, not fun...), it's still a b*tch.

Well... I don´t know the correct medical term. In german, insomnia is the equivalent for what I described. :)

I'd suggest earplugs, but i'm guessing you're one of these 18 hours of sleep ain't a problem :D

Nope, not at all. I go to bed around midnight and get up at 6 AM. :)
Earplugs are an option, but what´s bugging me is that I seem to be unable to ... well... find rest.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well... I don´t know the correct medical term. In german, insomnia is the equivalent for what I described. :)

Nope, not at all. I go to bed around midnight and get up at 6 AM. :)
Earplugs are an option, but what´s bugging me is that I seem to be unable to ... well... find rest.

Thing is, if you get woken up at night, and can't fall asleep right after(switch side and zzz), you're effectively awake.

You've had your rem sleep, brain thinks "oh gee, wakey time" and that's that.

That's why you need earplugs or some such thing to keep you from waking up.

That's why i said it's not really insomnia, just interrupted sleep, but let's not get hung up on that :p

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Might be your diet? Has it changed recently, as in taking more caffine etc?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Might be your diet? Has it changed recently, as in taking more caffine etc?

Not really. Same as always.
There´s currently some trouble at work, quite hectic phase, but that´s not exactly new for me either.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
ergh earplugs are horrible!

get some sleeping tablets from the pharmacy, nothing major just the over the counter jobs and take them for a couple of nights just to get you back into the routine of sleeping through the night... failing that ask someone to breast feed you for 5 minutes they walk about with you on their shoulder while they burp you (I hear this is how they get human larvie to sleep all night although I have never experienced it myself it seems to work)

sweet dreams sweetie!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ergh earplugs are horrible!

get some sleeping tablets from the pharmacy, nothing major just the over the counter jobs and take them for a couple of nights just to get you back into the routine of sleeping through the night..

Yeah, don't try earplugs, just drug yourself like a good western citizen :lol:

Silly EQ.

Sleeping pills as a solution should be the last thing.

Since you can fall asleep and sleep for the 3h, the problem is in the itnerrupted sleep, that all.

It's essentially like waking up in the morning.

You're not(assuming) a sound sleeper, so you need some mufflers so you can sleep what you want to sleep.

Sleep cycles are a b*tch and a blessing that way.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
If you cant sleepo try these suggestions:

Get up and out of bed and do soemthing untill youre tired again.
Dont worry about how long youve been awake as it makes you stressed, and harder to sleep.
Hide the clock face so you cant keep looking at it and thinking holy shit i need to sleep.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Try reducing your caffine intake,
Eat a few hrs before bed so you dont go to sleep on a full stomach
Drink a little less a couple of hrs before bed so you dont have to get up for a toilet break
Shower a bit earlier if you usually have one just before going to sleep

if all else fails go get laid

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Yeah, don't try earplugs, just drug yourself like a good western citizen :lol:

Silly EQ.

Sleeping pills as a solution should be the last thing.

Since you can fall asleep and sleep for the 3h, the problem is in the itnerrupted sleep, that all.

It's essentially like waking up in the morning.

You're not(assuming) a sound sleeper, so you need some mufflers so you can sleep what you want to sleep.

Sleep cycles are a b*tch and a blessing that way.

/raspberry!

well tbh they work for me, and i don't see what everyone has got against them tbh; headache? take a pill, can't crap? take a pill, can't sleep OHNOES!! don't take a sleeping pill!!

I'm saying I can't sleep with earplugs in because they make me lug'oles all hot and gross and when I can't sleep the sleeping pills actually work for me (can't sleep as in sleep for 5 mins wake up, sleep for five mins wake up rinse and repeat until i want to kill myself)

trust me since none of us are doctors here no one *pointedly looks at funny man with earplugs in* actually knows the answer...well we don't do we?? we can just say what works for us personally...

and someone who drinks absynth acting like a sleeping pill is the devils work...seriously.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
/raspberry!

well tbh they work for me, and i don't see what everyone has got against them tbh; headache? take a pill, can't crap? take a pill, can't sleep OHNOES!! don't take a sleeping pill!!

Well actually i don't like pills in any form that much, always the last resort.

They didn't need pills in the good old days! :D

But yes, everyones different.

I'm just going with the earplugs because he CAN sleep, just gets interrupted and then can't fall asleep again.

Basing it on the theory of 1.5h-2h sleep cycles though.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
not earplugs, because it's probably not a noise waking you up, it's a mental thing. Try pills, or just ride it out cos you'll go back to normal before long.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
go to sleep earlier. works for me. i cant sleep if i go to bed after 1-2 on a weekday

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've been failing to sleep/get up properly for months now. Starting next week I will experiment by going to bed at 2300 at the latest every working day (except friday perhaps :)) to see if that helps any.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Well i did base the "waking to a noise" on;

How completely silly of me :D

yeah it was a bit silly wasn't it. all of a sudden noises that have been occuring every night of his life are waking him up, and you suggest ear plugs. gg.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
yeah it was a bit silly wasn't it. all of a sudden noises that have been occuring every night of his life are waking him up, and you suggest ear plugs. gg.

Yes?

the noises are still waking him up.

If earplugs != help, then do something else.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
they're not, his brain is waking him up due to i'd suggest one or more of - stress, body clock out of sync, nightmares/dreams, possibly even something like sleep apnea

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
they're not, his brain is waking him up due to i'd suggest one or more of - stress, body clock out of sync, nightmares/dreams, possibly even something like sleep apnea

Mighty fine telepathy work when he said "these are waking me up" and you take "it's the brain waking you up, not the noises" :lol:

Problem with people these days, every f*cking thing is a disorder or a decease of some sort.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
lol whatever, you're talking nonsense.

he may think the noises are waking him up, but they're not. he's hearing the noises because he's not in deep sleep when he should be, which is the brains fault. ear plugs aren't going to solve that.

how would you explain the fact that theres a 99% chance that the noises have been occuring every night of his life but havn't been waking him up before. go on.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sleep cycles don't keep you in deep sleep all the night.

When people get older, they wake up easier.

Every night isn't a complete copy of another.

May be louder sounds then usual.

Just a few points.

But i'm not going to argue it with you, i'm going to leave it for Thorwyn to find out on his own.

Still best bet is to try earplugs and if it works, hey presto, no need to induce a coma. No harm.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
all points invalid. read the question, respond with sensible answers please.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
oookay... let me clarify a couple of points.

Yes, the noises have always been there and they didn´t bother me that much in the past. Usually, I would wake up a couple of times during a night, but never reached a state of complete conciousness. It was always a "ah.. yeah.. the cat... zzZZZzZZ". I never had problems falling asleep again.
Nowadays, I wake up and it´s like: "ah.. yeah.. the cat again... hm... now what *turns around* .... *taps fingers* .... *adjusts cushion* ... etc.etc.ad lib". Basically, I`m fully awake and unable to get back into sleepy mode. :)

Ah well... thanks all for the input.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Not really, i just don't care for discussing things with people who answer with "Not right! Answer another way!"

I said already, leaving it for Thorwyn, i've said my ideas for it.

thorwyn;

You could try a lil trick also, go to bed about 30minutes before. I'm still betting it's simply a bad timing on sleep cycles.

That or you just don't need that much sleep anymore :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I think it's just one of things that will pass tbh, sleep is a weird thing, and things like this happen to loads of people every now and again so i'm told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom