Help I'm having a total nightmare!!!!!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Call me a cunt or whatever you like, but I have had a nightmare today... I have been using this pc (my decent one) for work in conjunction with my work O365 account and outlook etc. Today, I accidentally did not untick the 'let my organisation manage my device' on a sign in and it turned to shit. I can't be very sure exactly what or why, but I was getting nag notifications to encrypt my hard drive (I might now after all this) and windows was restarting automatically every 10 mins on reboot, I assume because of the lack of encryption.

I was getting pissed off, so I decided to use a windows recovery USB in the 'end'. Well - that made things worse!! The recovery process just said it had 'failed' then the machine started to refuse to boot. Win 10 installation media on USB, and some diagnostics made it look like my 'recovery' was trying to install on my SATA Raid D drive instead of my NVMe SSD, and had wiped all my files off - that's my archive of photos and everything!! Added to that, the USB stick died also, so I got a new one locally.

I have managed to get Win10 pro re-installed whilst having SATA disabled on the Mobo.... now I need to figure out the way forward, so I am after advice in a couple of areas please!!

1. Advice on keeping the corporate wankers off my pc when using O365.

2. Recovery of my data if possible - I don't think the recovery process had time to have formatted 2x2Tb SATA HDDs so I am hoping the stuff is there... it is my photo archive :(

Yeah, call me a dick for not having a separate backup, but I kinda compromised on a Raid setup in case of hardware failure and I'm not that keen on having my photos in the cloud.

Oh, and 3. What password manager should I get, and do they come with google plug ins as the latest windows feature update fuck chrome's password automation.

Help me Freddysone Kenobi!!!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Donno if you can use o365 separately. It kinda uses the whole thing and logs you i to everything else.

i would dual boot. One boot for work one for home.
if your disk is encrypted its pretty fucked. If it got interrupted half way through encrypting i think yr pretty fucked too.

otherwise get a disk caddy and stick yr sata disk in it and see if you can see anything on it when you usb plug it into yr windows machine.

lots of password doodahs. I use lastpass it pretty much covers all my devices.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Donno if you can use o365 separately. It kinda uses the whole thing and logs you i to everything else.

i would dual boot. One boot for work one for home.
if your disk is encrypted its pretty fucked. If it got interrupted half way through encrypting i think yr pretty fucked too.

otherwise get a disk caddy and stick yr sata disk in it and see if you can see anything on it when you usb plug it into yr windows machine.

lots of password doodahs. I use lastpass it pretty much covers all my devices.

No - I didn't do the disk encryption - or are you saying just don't do it at all? :) Machine is now running off NVMe SSD only until I figure out if I can get a good recovery tool for the twin SATA drives... thanks!

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Chrome or New Edge has an Office plugin, I use that at home so am only signed in on that but can use all my files and emails. I do have my own Office applications but the online versions work ok.

Recuva might be able to recover your stuff if only the toc has gone.

Lastly try this reg key it should prevent it asking again. (use to, MS might have changed)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WorkplaceJoin:
"BlockAADWorkplaceJoin"=dword:00000001.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No - I didn't do the disk encryption - or are you saying just don't do it at all? :) Machine is now running off NVMe SSD only until I figure out if I can get a good recovery tool for the twin SATA drives... thanks!
Were they raid?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Chrome or New Edge has an Office plugin, I use that at home so am only signed in on that but can use all my files and emails. I do have my own Office applications but the online versions work ok.

Recuva might be able to recover your stuff if only the toc has gone.

Lastly try this reg key it should prevent it asking again. (use to, MS might have changed)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WorkplaceJoin:
"BlockAADWorkplaceJoin"=dword:00000001.

Thanks alot!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Call me a cunt or whatever you like, but I have had a nightmare today... I have been using this pc (my decent one) for work in conjunction with my work O365 account and outlook etc. Today, I accidentally did not untick the 'let my organisation manage my device' on a sign in and it turned to shit. I can't be very sure exactly what or why, but I was getting nag notifications to encrypt my hard drive (I might now after all this) and windows was restarting automatically every 10 mins on reboot, I assume because of the lack of encryption.

I was getting pissed off, so I decided to use a windows recovery USB in the 'end'. Well - that made things worse!! The recovery process just said it had 'failed' then the machine started to refuse to boot. Win 10 installation media on USB, and some diagnostics made it look like my 'recovery' was trying to install on my SATA Raid D drive instead of my NVMe SSD, and had wiped all my files off - that's my archive of photos and everything!! Added to that, the USB stick died also, so I got a new one locally.

I have managed to get Win10 pro re-installed whilst having SATA disabled on the Mobo.... now I need to figure out the way forward, so I am after advice in a couple of areas please!!

1. Advice on keeping the corporate wankers off my pc when using O365.

2. Recovery of my data if possible - I don't think the recovery process had time to have formatted 2x2Tb SATA HDDs so I am hoping the stuff is there... it is my photo archive :(

Yeah, call me a dick for not having a separate backup, but I kinda compromised on a Raid setup in case of hardware failure and I'm not that keen on having my photos in the cloud.

Oh, and 3. What password manager should I get, and do they come with google plug ins as the latest windows feature update fuck chrome's password automation.

Help me Freddysone Kenobi!!!
Separate church and state FFS Juptard!

Run a VM for work shit, company IT is always messed up in some way so never let it anywhere near your stuff.

Get some professional data recovery advice, fuck Recuva and all that shit. These are your photos you're talking about.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sorry @Jupitus . That sucks the fat one. I'm too far from techie to help now but there's one thing I can point out that definitely needs fixing:

I'm not that keen on having my photos in the cloud.

Just do it.

I used to feel the same. Now any photo I take with the phone, or already existed on my PC is there. And gets auto-shown on my TV if I like.

It's just *so* much simpler.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Separate church and state FFS Juptard!

Run a VM for work shit, company IT is always messed up in some way so never let it anywhere near your stuff.

Get some professional data recovery advice, fuck Recuva and all that shit. These are your photos you're talking about.

I did a bit of checking - all my photos from my NY and Niagra trip Sarah (my speshul lady) has and the earlier stuff which was on my old pc at home my lad has archived, so there will be a gap but I do feel better... it the young kids pics I was concerned about and they should be ok, thank goodness!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry @Jupitus . That sucks the fat one. I'm too far from techie to help now but there's one thing I can point out that definitely needs fixing:

Just do it.

I used to feel the same. Now any photo I take with the phone, or already existed on my PC is there. And gets auto-shown on my TV if I like.

It's just *so* much simpler.

Hmmm - this event will make me reconsider - perhaps ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Update (and question)...

I now have a working Win 10 pro installation on my NVME SSD and a utility called disk drill seems to be finding all of the files on one of the HDDs... I am holding off installing much on the SSD to leave space for file recovey before then formatting and re-raiding the 2 HDDs, but some oddness in disk manager has caught my eye:

Disk 1 Read Only
100MB EFI system
100MB EFI system
100MB EFI system
3720GB unallocated

Disk 2
100MB EFI system
3720GB unallocated
497MB Recovery

Disk manager can't remove any of those 'extra' system partions and I don't understand the Read Only on HDD1 - any advice? Also, recommendations for a good, simple bootable via USB disk utility please?

Thanks muchly!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If they're the two HDD's then it looks like it absolutely mangled your partition tables when all this went down.

What make are the drives?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If they're the two HDD's then it looks like it absolutely mangled your partition tables when all this went down.

What make are the drives?

Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256 MB Cache for Computer Desktop PC Laptop (ST4000DM004)

I am pretty sure that the windows recovery process fucked them up, trying to install onto them instead of my SSD - I should have physically disconnected them, probably...

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Use the proper tool provided by Seagate

Recover your stuff first though.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Recover your stuff first though.

Just for your information folks, I checked out what options are out there as although Recuva can appear free it is only for recovery of up to 500MB of data.... probably good enough in smaller situations I guess.

I chose EaseUS which cost me about 80 quid as effectively a one off and it has done a decent job of finding and organising the files. It has also shown my theory about the windows recovery tool being a piece of shit as the drives from new have only ever had media files plus office type stuff (basically all my photos, ripped CDs, films and then a bunch of work files)... yet the recovery has found a complete windows installation which has then been deleted when the recovery process backed itself out... bloody annoying given it includes loads of crappy images etc...

I am now recovering about 100Gb of stuff back to my SSD ready for fixing the HDDs ... lucky so far apart from the expense, but so be it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd say £80 to keep all those memories is a good deal

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Jup, was this when you signed into windows (Profile) or when you opened up Outlook/A different 365 app?

-never- sign in with a non-local windows account, it just causes pain long term. Syncing is fine but.. I want to control it.

My work doesn't let me use Nine or the Teams app unless I install Microsoft bloatware.. But doing on a browser/my PC? Fine.

I'm going to slap our infra guys.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jup, was this when you signed into windows (Profile) or when you opened up Outlook/A different 365 app?

-never- sign in with a non-local windows account, it just causes pain long term. Syncing is fine but.. I want to control it.

My work doesn't let me use Nine or the Teams app unless I install Microsoft bloatware.. But doing on a browser/my PC? Fine.

I'm going to slap our infra guys.

I prefer to use the apps themselves as I am more comfy with the functionality (yeah, call me a dinosaur ;) ) ... it was an accidental 'allow my organisation to manage my pc' as opposed to 'sign in to this app only' that caused the issue, I think.In truth, I probably should not be using my own machine for work, but the alternative is hunching over a laptop at the kitchen table when I already have sciatica and a bad shoulder... I think I am almost sorted now and know what to look for with O365 in future!!!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I prefer to use the apps themselves as I am more comfy with the functionality (yeah, call me a dinosaur ;) ) ... it was an accidental 'allow my organisation to manage my pc' as opposed to 'sign in to this app only' that caused the issue, I think.In truth, I probably should not be using my own machine for work, but the alternative is hunching over a laptop at the kitchen table when I already have sciatica and a bad shoulder... I think I am almost sorted now and know what to look for with O365 in future!!!
I am getting surgery to make my sciatica go away again. That not something you can do?
also its a big nono for me to sign into the work networks from another pc so i have to use the work laptop. Though at leasy they are ok with some apps and email on my ipad which does help.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I am getting surgery to make my sciatica go away again. That not something you can do?
also its a big nono for me to sign into the work networks from another pc so i have to use the work laptop. Though at leasy they are ok with some apps and email on my ipad which does help.

So after surgery the sciatica back again?
I suffer from that too although since I have my gaming chair I don't get it much anymore.

I can't sit on a sofa for too long as that seems to aggravate it. It's probably the pressure points. And also standing for too long gives me a bad back. Probably my posture.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Well, so long as I use this chair and desk I am fine, and that's the point. It was an investment that worked well:

Appreciate your advice, of course!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

If I call you a dinosaur then I'm too a dinosaur! I prefer using the apps too! Also bought my new computer for the same reason, using a laptop was killing me

Honestly, if it wasn't for the faff I'd dual boot something and then just let them take control of that partition! Or buy a crappy £30 SD and have that whole drive for just work stuff. Bit of a pain rebooting, but at least you know it's only work things

Glad you recovered some stuff! Cloud storage is worth it ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So after surgery the sciatica back again?
I suffer from that too although since I have my gaming chair I don't get it much anymore.

I can't sit on a sofa for too long as that seems to aggravate it. It's probably the pressure points. And also standing for too long gives me a bad back. Probably my posture.
I had it decompressed and some bone spurs grew back. I am having the bone spurs chipped out. been 5 years that i had no leg pain. It means i can walk. Basically without it i cant walk without pain shooting down my legs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pilates, pilates, pilates.

Find yourself a local class, pay the fiver or tenner a week (or better, twice a week) and get shamed by all the nice old ladies who absolutely shit all over you physically.

Man up through the self consciousness of it all and I guarantee that after 6 months your core will be so strong that *loads* of stuff will feel better, loads of everyday tasks will be easier and you'll wonder why they don't do a daily 30 minute session with all kids at school to teach them a lifelong skill that'll keep them from the doctors.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Find yourself a local class, pay the fiver or tenner a week (or better, twice a week) and get shamed by all the nice old ladies who absolutely shit all over you physically.

Man up through the self consciousness of it all and I guarantee that after 6 months your core will be so strong that *loads* of stuff will feel better, loads of everyday tasks will be easier and you'll wonder why they don't do a daily 30 minute session with all kids at school to teach them a lifelong skill that'll keep them from the doctors.

That might help with my posture but not help with sitting and pressure on the nerves in legs/back.
Sitting on certain chairs and most sofas within a few minutes I start to get uncomfortable pain in my legs. Fortunately not while sitting in my work chair or the car.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Physical damage doesnt get repaired by magic movement.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That might help with my posture but not help with sitting and pressure on the nerves in legs/back.
Sitting on certain chairs and most sofas within a few minutes I start to get uncomfortable pain in my legs. Fortunately not while sitting in my work chair or the car.
It might well help Dys.

I went to help with lower back pain but I've previously had pretty much all the ligaments in both ankles replaced.

The strengthening not only fixed the back but the better posture helped the ankle pain and all of it helped with upper back shooting pain through the shoulder that I thought was totally unrelated.

Put it this way: if it doesn't help with your problem, the knock-on elsewhere is so transformative it's more than worth the effort anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It might well help Dys.

I went to help with lower back pain but I've previously had pretty much all the ligaments in both ankles replaced.

The strengthening not only fixed the back but the better posture helped the ankle pain and all of it helped with upper back shooting pain through the shoulder that I thought was totally unrelated.

Put it this way: if it doesn't help with your problem, the knock-on elsewhere is so transformative it's more than worth the effort anyway.
If you say so, i would go yoga for strengthening over Pilates stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom