IGN's (LOL) top 100 FPS of all times list (LOL)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Not much more ridiculous than pots though is it? "Oh look, a pot of red lying on the floor in the middle of nowhere... if i drink that i'm sure i'll feel better". Fine in fantasy games, but if you're moaning about the realism of health regen in supposedly realistic games you can't say the other options are better.

Depends on the game. In Halo, which is basically "genetically engineered guy in battlesuit full of nanobots", then health regen is fine. In MW its a lazy contrivance. For a war shooter a medic option is the obvious artistic choice, but in single player its sometimes difficult to integrate (for instance in stealthy bits of a game). I particularly liked the solution in Far Cry 2, where finding drugs was an integral part of the plot.

Kryten

Old Cow.
No surprises at #1 though, but IGN outdid the fuckwittery by saying Q3 was better than UT yet placed it 1 place below....

Everz

FH is my second home
System Shock 2 being so low is a joke.

CoD is fucking awful, seriously, whatever happened to the days of good map design!?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Halo top 5, note how they mention LAN which was almost didn't exist on consoles back then, it was huge on Halo CE, I went to a few events myself in the UK in London/Manchester.

People always say it was Halo 2 which drove the MP forward, but it was Halo CE that actually laid the foundations and got people noticing 16 player MP on consoles.

Halo 2 No. 7 just for the way it single handedly drove XBL forward and put a online community on XBL, the ability to view your entire match history online and look at almost every stat you could think of was a first for consoles I believe.

Notice how there is bugger all exclusive to Playstation in the top 10 or even top 20, Killzone? Sony would drop it so fast if they had anything close to Halo.

Of course the usual people will mock me but Halo should always be in the top 5 of any shooter list.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Updated

#20 Medal of Honor
#19 Ghost Recon
#18 Team Fortress 2
#17 Quake III
#16 Unreal Tournament
#15 Rainbow 6
#14 Deux Ex
#13 Battlefield 1942
#12 Metroid Prime
#11 Wolfenstein 3D
#10 Quake II
#9 Counter-Strike
#8 Bioshock
#7 Halo 2
#6 GoldenEye
#5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 (this I can agree with MW4 was before COD started turning into a proper bro shooter)
#4 Halo: Combat Evolved
#3 Half-Life 2
#2 Doom
#1 Half-Life

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
FUCKING TOLD YOU HALF LIFE WOULD BE FIRST... Or in the top 5, to be correct.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will agree with number 1 but the rest is kind of odd, some of them aren't even true FPS shooters ffs.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Kind of OK top 20. Only ones I haven't played are Metroid and Bioshock, so I have no opinion on those. I'd have BF1942 higher (purely personal preference - loved that game), and I'd have had Quake II higher than either Halo, but that's about it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It looks like they went a bit random with 100-21 but the top 20 is indeed pretty fair. It must be a real chore to organise such a large list, especially if input was from an office full of gamey types.

Can't argue with Half-Life being the daddy of the list.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
At the end of the day, nobody gives a crap. If you need your favourite game to come high in some random chart then there is something wrong with you.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So you want games to go back to having the whole arsenal at your finger tips?

Yep. Games were much more fun in the late 90's / early 2000's.

And fun is what games are supposed to be about - not laughable "realism".

There's a reason why doom/quake style games don't really get the green light any more

It's because games are now mainstream.

Early-adoption of multiplayer games happened in a community that was ostracised for their anti-social habit. Geeks. Real geeks. People who were prepared to die a fuckload and get panned into the ground by much better and more experienced players - whilst their peers laughted at them, went out and (pretended to) get laid.

Games like that would be rage-inducing for the masses. You only have to play Battlefield for twenty seconds to be called a hacking n00b retard cunt nigger motherfucker cheater!!11!11! by some racist 15 year old twat who rages the first time he gets shot.

The masses are SHIT at games. And game design nowadays reflects that. Hence two-guns timmy.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

First one had a nice atmos. But was linear with poor AI. Managed to get to the end (with the most disappointing and underwhelming end of game boss fight evah). But still, nice atmos, well realised.

Second one was shite. Couldn't stomach more than about a 3rd of it.

Bioshock infinite, whilst pretty, with good production values and an interesting story falls down horribly because its gameplay screams so loudly about everything that's wrong with FPS's nowadays. Linear, shit AI, limited weapons, linear linear linear shite.

*So* wanted it to be good. But it wasn't :(

Everz

FH is my second home
Yep. Games were much more fun in the late 90's / early 2000's.

And fun is what games are supposed to be about - not laughable "realism".

It's because games are now mainstream.

Early-adoption of multiplayer games happened in a community that was ostracised for their anti-social habit. Geeks. Real geeks. People who were prepared to die a fuckload and get panned into the ground by much better and more experienced players - whilst their peers laughted at them, went out and (pretended to) get laid.

Games like that would be rage-inducing for the masses. You only have to play Battlefield for twenty seconds to be called a hacking n00b retard cunt nigger motherfucker cheater!!11!11! by some racist 15 year old twat who rages the first time he gets shot.

The masses are SHIT at games. And game design nowadays reflects that. Hence two-guns timmy.

I don't agree with you usually, but I agree with you on this. Shooters are catered for idiots these day, imagine having to learn to bunny-hop, rail and rocket jump with this set of gamers? It wouldn't happen. Though the maps of old FPS were linear but they had the feeling of just being open, some of the larger Doom maps for example left you with a 'wow' feeling at the end of it for example. That and SECRETS..!

All nostalgic now, I'd hazard the populations of your old shooters wouldn't be too kind these days, I know the last time I hopped onto Red Faction it wasn't holding up to strong.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Bioshock Infinite was always going to be a linear story. That's been kinda the point of the Bioshocks so far?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bioshock Infinite was always going to be a linear story. That's been kinda the point of the Bioshocks so far?

I a linear story is fine - I just thought the level design, weapon limitations and game mechanics were so excruciatingly console-led that it was a painfully boring game to play.

I wonder if that quake-iii-in-a-browser is still going? May have a game just to remind myself that shooters can be throwaway anarchic fun :)

Edit: Yep :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I admit I had to force myself to continue playing it at a couple points, but the atmosphere and storyline made up for it. Couldn't bring myself to do a repeat playthrough on higher difficulty though. The set piece battles were good fun once you got into the swing of them.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I actually quite liked bioshock Infinate but the gunplay let it down. Loved 1 & 2 though, awesome games, especially 1.

Modern shooters are by no means bad, some of the single players are excellent...Running through my steam list... Deux Ex, Crysis, Borderlands 1&2, Dishonoured, Bioshock, Far Cry 3 & Blood dragon etc I even enjoyed the modern warfare single player campaigns for a short time.

Multiplayer is where the modern FPS falls down because they have to pander to the casual player if they want to shift millions of copies and millions of copies is where the fancy graphics come from.

I was never really a big fan of futuristic shooters like Doom, I only really got into online shooters with CS, which even now shits on CoD and the like.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I had to force myself to continue playing it at a couple points

How starved are we of games that you simply can't get enough of...

Anyway. Enjoying Q3A immensely. I actually killed someone a moment ago :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom