Ice Wiz RA Advice

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
reckon its worth dropping ALL passives and end up with MOC (acuity 3) + VP only? I recently got rid of VP to get MOC but i dont like the 30 min timer too much and vp ios fantastic fun, i want it back asap :) however getting it will mean not having wp, master of magery, master of art, serenity, AOM MCL etc.. I didnt have MCL for a few days after getting rid of VP for moc it was hell :D

Id much rather just add WP etc.. as i go thru the rrs instead of having to save up 14 points to get vp back. any thoughts?

also ice wiz lfg AC i have 45gold amongst all characters, need 1.9 for another RA respec, if that lovelry house still has any in stock

or any lonley matter cabbys fancy a gobbo cleaner, i spent a lot of time there as a wizzie w/ a cabby so know the score I MOLEST PYGMEEEEE GOBLINS FOR BREAKFAST :D

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
I respec'd last week and currently am 8L2 (nearly L3) and I've gone for Purge, MoC, MCL2, RP, MoArt 3 and WP2 (I'll have WP3 when I ding L3)... Think I'm forgetting something, oohwell, those are my major RA's at least... I've dropped VP and so did all the other TB-wizzies...

VP is overrated and after the patch it wont be 'that good'... You need to either get it off when you MoC or before mez lands... Both result in an awefull lot of 'miss-fires', which results in 2s delay... Which resulted in an awefull lot of /release and then the comment, funny VP is still up...

Only thing VP is (and has ever been) good for is to stop an enemy FG and kill their gray pets :p 1 VP is nearly useless, 3 is hard to time (with the 'issues' and its 2s 'recast' timer after a failure)...

Imho, MoArt and WP and RP(Raging Power) will give you more damage output for your points then VP ever will... In FG vs FG fights, VP is 'almost' useless and often causes more harm (demezzing the entire group) instead of good...

Its a nice zerg-ra though...

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
I had vp for about 9 months, even b4 it got dmg upped + radius set to 700 and loved it :) I end up in random grps most the time so usually following some zerg or another or just the old fashioned keep take then farming which vp is loverly for :) once took out a whole lord room with it :D Guess it all comes down to how gimpy would it be without any extra dmg to nukes. no wp m.o.m etc.. considering the amount of resists these days our dmg is shit anyway, first ill need to get 2plat.

Angara

Fledgling Freddie
Why dont you post this is in the albion section?
Or is it just me who thinks this is not really relevant to RvR-discussions?

And no....not trying to flame, just want to know.
And i cant help you, have no idea what you should take :p

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
might get a view from the other side of the coin in here.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
vp for the lose

i agree with magmatic

mota 3 for cast times essential as any ra imo, also purge damn handy especially in a pbaoe group without the luxury of group purge

emma

Loyal Freddie
Fedaykin said:
vp for the lose

i agree with magmatic

mota 3 for cast times essential as any ra imo, also purge damn handy especially in a pbaoe group without the luxury of group purge

purge is essential for any pbae group even hib ones ;p nothing sucks worse than getting slammed or remezz'd just as you pop MoC.

VP does do nice damage but omg most casters dont know when to use it, breaking mezz most of the time or just completely wasting it on one person or summit.

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
As any caster if your getting MoArt3 and you reguarly have top dex buffs on you i really recommend working to MCL2 and ultimately Raging Power. I very rarely ran out of power when I ran around with mota2+aug dex1 but now ive got mota3+aug dex2 running out of power is a per battle occurance. If you ever see my wiz trying to nail someone with melee you know why now ;)

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
MoArt 3 is very lovely... With top dex buffs (Mota4, mota 5 didnt give an increase) I reach 1.3s cast times on my PBAoE, I'll get Aug.Dex 2 eventually but I lost aug const / toughness due to getting raging power + moart 3 + wp 2(well, in 15k, 3 ;))... So thats first on my list, but it takes so lllloonnnggg now...

Lac Desariel

Fledgling Freddie
I still have VP for a few reasons

It adds much needed utility giving an instant be it damage is nice so if a caster is nuking you can disrupt

moc and VP are nice yes buggy but nice

using VP to garentee a kill from a running troll or BM before that heal lands is good..

but as for origanl post moc and purge not VP, imo VP is for those with enuoght RA points to warrrent the spending of it

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
hehe, by the time i have enough ill be an old man :( think ill farm some cash get vp back then live on potions till i get enough rps to get mcl back, then start to add all the passives so by about xmas i should be UBAR :D

00000095.gif

Stallion

Can't get enough of FH
Hercules-DF said:
hehe, by the time i have enough ill be an old man :( think ill farm some cash get vp back then live on potions till i get enough rps to get mcl back, then start to add all the passives so by about xmas i should be UBAR :D

00000095.gif

seriously drop VP... its really no use in grp rvr....

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
I had VP once already, and I dont have a proper "rvr grp" just randoms and I know how to use the ability :) IMO MOC aint worth 14 points at 30 min timer esp the second u cast it someone slams/stun/mezzes u.

Hercules-DF

Fledgling Freddie
ive got moc, i just dont think its worth the 24 rps u MUST spend to get it. make it 15 min timer and maybe :)

Stallion

Can't get enough of FH
Hercules-DF said:
ive got moc, i just dont think its worth the 24 rps u MUST spend to get it. make it 15 min timer and maybe :)

I know zergs dont require much of you... and RAs dont matter much since your never really get into focus as a person.

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
at 7L2 my wizzy has moc, vp and a bunch of dmg-boosting passives... works for me

SC might be an idea one of these days though :m00:

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
well atm I have this :

Acurity 3
MoC
Purge
MoM 2
MotA 2
WP 1

and I don´t understand ppl take WP above MoM ? MoM is more dmg over time then WP and tbh about the passives they are realy nice but should be taked in this line imo
Mota1 -> MoM 1 -> WP1 - Mota2 -> MoM 2- WP2 -> etc

Since cast time(mota) = more casts in a MoC
MoM(3% more dmg) = more dmg over time then WP(5% more crit)

I know it looks nice when u crit etc but still u do more dmg over time with MoM :)

And purge should be saved to MoC so u can purge Stun/instant mezz when u MoC ;) then u can clean the room almost alone

Freez :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
-Freezingwiz- said:
and I don´t understand ppl take WP above MoM ? MoM is more dmg over time then WP
No. Study statistics and probability and you will see that an increased probability for a crit is also an increase in the DPS of a caster. Of course you need to balance the two RAs (MoM and WP), but just saying that MoM is better than WP is plain incorrect.

Play around with the RvR Damage estimator to see what MoM and WP does with your DPS (it claims to be inaccurate and outdated but at least it's an indication of how things work).

Stallion

Can't get enough of FH
Belomar said:
No. Study statistics and probability and you will see that an increased probability for a crit is also an increase in the DPS of a caster. Of course you need to balance the two RAs (MoM and WP), but just saying that MoM is better than WP is plain incorrect.

Play around with the RvR Damage estimator to see what MoM and WP does with your DPS (it claims to be inaccurate and outdated but at least it's an indication of how things work).

I must agree with Belomar for once :wub:
I even went wp3 b4 I got back to MoM1.. and stil am at MoM1... MoM2 eventually but nothing more..

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
VP is hardly ever a deciding factor unless in zerg fights; I would get VP but probably not before RR9 or even higher and maybe after next patch I wouldn't get it at all.
For mages active RAs are much more essential than passives: so basically get moc, purge, mcl2, rp maybe a few points into WP and moart first. After that start adding passives.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Stallion said:
I must agree with Belomar for once :wub:
Heh. Speaking of which, there is no need to be condescending to Hercules, he's a nice guy. It's a fact of life that not everyone have the free time or dedication to play in elite RvR guilds with perfect setups; in fact, I would argue that all dedicated "powergamers" become casual players sooner or later as their RL foci change. Garbannoch realized this a while back in his public apology to GoL on BW; maybe it's time you realize this too?

SethNaket

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:

No, he's quite correct. MoM is a straight 3% damage increase on all your damage (including any eventual crits). WP is a 5% chance to crit for 1-50% extra damage, or average 25% extra damage. That means over time you gain 0.05*0.25 = 0.0125 = 1.25% of your base damage. I don't know what kind of "statistics" you studied but I doubt they managed to change the fact that 3% is more than 1.25%. So, considering RA costs, MoM is more than twice the bang for your realmskillpoint-buck and you should aim at spending twice as many on MoM. ie. something like mom1->wp1->mom2->wp2->mom3 (and so on if you're silly high RR caster :p).

The calc page is wrong. It assumes way too high average crits, it estimates 188 average crit for a spell that will average 426 base damage. Looks like the estimate is based on cap damage instead of actual damage, which is of course wrong. Even with this miscalculation for crits that give a much too high critdmg value, it's obvious that MoM would still give more damage over time per RA level. If the calculator would use correct crit values the difference would be even bigger (actually it would be exactly what I said above, 3% increase vs 1.25% increase per level.)

Another thing to consider when choosing passive mage RAs is that MoM and WP increase your damage/time aswell as your damage/power. MotA only increases your damage/time. I would not take MotA over MoM/WP for any caster that is purely a damage dealer like an ice Wiz (debuffing classes/sorc/theurg are another matter). Sure with MotA3 you'll get off 9% more pb's (and therefore 9% more damage) during that moc, but with MoM3 you'd get 9% more damage anyway for less power. So for an ice Wiz, I'd keep mota 1 level below WP at all times. The progression would then be mom1->wp1->mom2->wp2->mota1->mom3->wp3->mota2 (etc).

I would also wait with VP until higher rr unless you always run with others that also have VP and use it as a coordinated attack. I'd prolly go acu3/moc->mcl->purge->mom2/wp2/mota1 and only then start thinking about VP again. Maybe raging power somewhere inbetween but I'm not sure where ;) .

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed, in theory...

MoM adding 3% to overall damage should up crit damage max by 1.5% also. So you should do 3-4.5% more damage for speccing it. WP adding 5% to overall crit chance should up max damage by 2.5% Correct me if im wrong ofc.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
i'll take a nice crit anyday. crits win fights, 3% extra won't.

recently dropped most of my passives to try moc+vp and i really miss moa2/wp3 :(

of the 2 i would definately drop vp first. yes its nice but just too many points at low/mid rr imo and as stated, it does have its drawbacks also...

cast time is everything and crits are 'free' dmg that costs u 0pow. when your using spells that hit multiple enemies a 25% chance to crit is damn nice tbh :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom