I want to get a cat

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been thinking about getting a cat (or perhaps two mini-cats) for a few days now, but the trouble is, in a single year I might be away from home for around 20-30 days total, sometimes more.

If I'm away for no more than 2-3 days a time, how difficult would this be for the cat? I would easily be able to get people to feed it/them, but I'm just a bit concerned that the animal would get a bit confused, and upset?

I've always had cats when I lived at my parents, but there was always someone around to feed them. I would install a cat flap on the back door, and they would be allowed to roam the neighbourhood (I don't like people who don't let their cats out). They would do all their pooing outside, and not in a kitty litter tray (well, after a few weeks of training).

What do you reckon?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My cat doesn't seem to mind if I go away for a few days.

Will

/bin/su
Its hard to say, it depends a lot on the cat involved. Some get by fine on their own, some will trash your house while you are away.

The fact it will be able to get outdoors will help. One of my friends had a housecat, and it ripped her shower curtain down every time she went out for more than a few hours. I think it was a little highly strung.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
If I'm away for no more than 2-3 days a time, how difficult would this be for the cat? I would easily be able to get people to feed it/them, but I'm just a bit concerned that the animal would get a bit confused, and upset?

What do you reckon?

Doubt this muchos, the only thing to be concerned about when going away, is food and drink.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Wij said:
My cat doesn't seem to mind if I go away for a few days.
AT LAST. Something that cats and people have in common :p

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If your cat is used to going outside via a flap (highly recommended) then it will normally find another place to eat anyways, they should be okay for a couple of days easily.

If they can eat dry food then you can always leave a small mountain behind before you go, that should keep them going. I feed mine with wet and dry food just in case.

Cats will normally give you at least a week before they sod off and find someone else, don't ever make the mistake of thinking a cat is dependent upon you, they do like to give you the impression you "own" them :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
If you've got a neighbour or friend who's willing to pop in a make a fuss of them a couple of times a week and give them clean water then you're basically alright. Mine looks more pissed off when we get back if anything.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Depends on where you live, if you can let them go and go as they please and they have someone to feed them then I doubt it'll be an issue.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
we have 3 cats back home, and go away in the summer for two weeks or more. And go away for less at other times of the year. We get a neighbour to fed them and theyve never run off or died etc. (they too can roam the neighbour hood)

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Cat's are bastards to be honest. It won't miss you.

Cyfr

Banned
I could never have a cat. Since they do need to be let out on their own, I would be fightened of it runing off and very upset if it didn't come back one time :(

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
My cat atm (babysitting) hates it even when we go work but it soon forgives when it gets fuss for 20 minutes. It is the only cat i know like that tho . The more intelligent the cat the more it will miss you but if they get used to your way of life and you can look after them while away there is absolutely no reason why they shouldnt adjust. If you do have two cats all the better, company for one another 24/7.

Varieties of breed also matters, go to an animal shelter where they can tell you more and they may even know the particular cats lifestyle. Ive always had cats until now (top floor flat, unfair to have a cat as much as it pains me to say) and me looking after my sisters siamese just makes me want one again so bad.

Picture3.jpg

Awwwwwww.

Picture5.jpg

Awwwwwww.

Picture11.jpg

LITTLE BITCH RIPPING MY HANDS TO SHREDS!!!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There is a cattery just around the corner from me. I shall investigate next week (got an away job at some motor show this weekend). Cat food is pretty cheap isn't it? £0.40 a tin from Tesco, I should be able to get it cheaper from Makro, although it will be living off scraps of bacon, chicken, and steak fat, so it won't go hungry :)

Lots of places around here where it would be able to roam freely, there is a main road but in cat terms, its quite a walk, especially when it can hide in 6 foot tall bushes in the other direction. There is also a railway line where it can do stuff, almost behind my house.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Cat food is really cheap. I got a can of Sheeba at a petrol station, and that cost 50p. So normally, it should cost about 2p!

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
If you get two or more kittens then theyll grow up together but be warned theyll hunt in packs :p

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Get pouches of food though, minimal stink and no scraping horse entrails from a can with a hangover.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Doomy said:
My cat atm (babysitting) hates it even when we go work but it soon forgives when it gets fuss for 20 minutes. It is the only cat i know like that tho .
My cat is just the same, he hates being left alone and is miserable when we come back from holiday. He also makes such a huge fuss when you get home even if you've only been out a few hours.

He's a soppy bastard.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I couldn't resist, here's a 'I'm gonna tear your face off if I don't get fed now' picture...

squinty.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Got 6 of the bastards. Or rather my (now-ex) missus has - still in my house.

My house is now a shithole. They fuck it up big-stylee - catflap or not.

If you're *really* lucky all you'll get is the occasional shit/piss in the corner, an odd barf here and there and a few dead animals, to go with the carpets being gradually fucked up because they like to claw.

They *can't* be trained. Ever. Period. So if you get one and it likes to claw your furniture - be warned - it will, whenever it wants to.

Love mine tho :)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
adams901 said:
Today I found out my cat has Cancer :(

:( One of my cats died of a stomach tuma a few months back.

His little sister almost died shortly afterwards and all.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Get a Catfish they still have whiskers, are less evil , and look nicer.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Scouse said:
They *can't* be trained. Ever. Period. So if you get one and it likes to claw your furniture - be warned - it will, whenever it wants to.

Not strictly true. Unless you have one with "evil bastard" personality, they can be "trained", not like you would a dog though. It's more a process of gentle discouragement, involving a water pistol, tennis balls, and huge amounts of patience on your part, in line with the general feline psyche. Getting some anti-cat spray and door latches helps too.

Basically, if you can out-stare a cat then you are going to be okay, otherwise forget it, they have unlimited amounts of determination.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've only ever had one cat, which died a few months ago - it was a toughened killer, and one night out on the prowl it digested a rabbit which was carrying some sort of disease.

This carried on into the cat, causing severe blood poisoning.

The poor thing collapsed into a shivering wreck, and was unable to move :(

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I have three cats as if most of you didnt know:

Yin is beautifully behaved as is Astro however Freddy was born norteh and will prolly die norteh, I guess that is the male in him :p.

In answer though to the question we leave them for as long as a week with our next door neighbour looking after them and they are just pleased to see us when we get home.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, I'm getting me a moggy. I've emailed a local breeder for advice on where to get some kittens, I quite fancy something other than the typical scally cats that hang around here. Something with nice soft fur.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If at all possible, try and see the mother of the kitten, you can usually judge the disposition as it carries down the line. They actually breed "rag doll" cats that are perfect for kids as they'll take a lot of mistreatment before they hit back.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tom - go to a local shelter and pick one needy moggy out. Take it straight to the vets for FIV checks etc - and get it neutered....

:)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I thought of that, but I want a pretty cat, not a mangy cat :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom