I want to get a cat

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You don't have to have any cat there - just go and look! :)

DaGen

Fledgling Freddie
I had 2 pedigree persians, some are pretty some are ugly, I had 2 quite pretty ones (my ex got them now) but they are a nightmare to look after, constant grooming, they are sick at even the smallest change of food. Mine were indoor cats for the simple reason they cost me £400 quid each! Cats are much better than dogs!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Cats can be trained, to a point. Ours will fetch, and our previous would fetch and sit. Clawing is a problem but can be stopped quite easily. First make sure that you provide a suitable scratching post, then buy some double sided sellotape. Apply tape to any surface (including carpets/curtains) that the cat scratches on. They will soon learn that it feels unpleasant and stop, you can then remove the tape.

If you want a handsome and furry cat get a Maine Coon. Our last cat was a Maine, be warned they are huge (Harvey was 3ft nose to tail) and very good hunters. They are also VERY intelligent. The other benefit is that they need very little grooming compared to a Persian or similar.

That said I'd rather have another dog tbh :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
How do you get past the problem of the cat shitting all over yer missus face?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
How do you get past the problem of the cat shitting all over yer missus face?
Make sure it isn't watching when you do it. It's just trying to imitate.... ;)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
We have 3 burmese cross cats, meaning that there mother was a pedigree burmese and the father was a tom cat from next door ;)

wink wink say no more say no more

we've found this means that they have the nice soft fur of there mother which doesnt need grooming they were cheap (although there priceless to us) and have a very friendly disposition.

The only draw back is they used to hunt and maim/kill squirrels and leave them round the house :/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
We've had most small lifeforms disemboweled on our floors now :( He used to have a real nasty habit of turning rats inside-out. That is a really unpleasant thing to clear up.

I swear it's a surgeon though, any rodent that gets killed and eaten is disposed of neatly, just leaving a pile of grass (or cat salad as I like to call it) and this one internal organ. It's always the same one and it's always perfectly clean and removed with precision. I can only assume it's something which tastes bloody horrible.

The funniest thing I've seen is when he was younger, trying to drag a rat almost as big as himself through his catflap.

mank!

Part of the furniture
My cat rarely brings dead things in, usually they're still alive :/

He 'hunts' the frogs in the summer though. He'll sit by the pond and wait for one and he'll chase it around and make it hop but he won't harm the frog. I've got a dumb cat.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
He 'hunts' the frogs in the summer though. He'll sit by the pond and wait for one and he'll chase it around and make it hop but he won't harm the frog. I've got a dumb cat.

Mine won't hurt frogs either. They just bring them into the house and watch them. Maybe they taste funny? Any other breathing thing seems to be fair game, as well as discarded sunday joints from someobody's bin.

When we replaced the freezer, we found a dead frog under there. It was flat and very brittle (my wife was not impressed when I demonstrated this by 'tapping' it on the work surface).

mank!

Part of the furniture
SoWat said:
Mine won't hurt frogs either. They just bring them into the house and watch them. Maybe they taste funny? Any other breathing thing seems to be fair game, as well as discarded sunday joints from someobody's bin.
Mine won't hurt owt, he'll chase mice about but won't kill them. I think he's a bit of a wuss tbh!

mank!

Part of the furniture
Lazarus said:
Age old scenario of when the pets starts to look and act like the owner. :p
Fair point, he's lazy and fat too.

Meatballs

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:
I thought of that, but I want a pretty cat, not a mangy cat :D
If you get a longhair persian kinda thing, you have to groom it practically every day, and if you allow it to roam outside they get all twigs and stuff in the hair, and it gets easily knotted hair, and its horrible to have to brush them out.

Shorthairs are grate and much easier. And really they are just as soft. Plus dont have as many medical problems from being inbred so much :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not really after the long haired ones, but there are some breeds that have 'a mane' of hair, and that actually look quite nice. No doubt they'll cost loads, so I'll probably end up going to the cat rescue centre like someone else suggested.

Reverend Flatus

Fledgling Freddie
You MUST get a cat or two. I have two that I got from the RSPCA, they have their own keys to the cat flap so they can come and go as they please, although they prefer to hang around me all day. Don't worry about having to leave them alone when you go on holiday, just get someone to pop in to feed and fuss them. When you get back they will either leap all over you or give you that stare that says "so you're back then you bastard".

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Reverend Flatus said:
You MUST get a cat or two. I have two that I got from the RSPCA, they have their own keys to the cat flap so they can come and go as they please, although they prefer to hang around me all day. Don't worry about having to leave them alone when you go on holiday, just get someone to pop in to feed and fuss them. When you get back they will either leap all over you or give you that stare that says "so you're back then you bastard".

Anyone wanna feed mine on Tuesday and Wednesday ?

mank!

Part of the furniture
Actually mine needs feeding on Saturday...

BossHogg

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Right, I'm getting me a moggy. I've emailed a local breeder for advice on where to get some kittens, I quite fancy something other than the typical scally cats that hang around here. Something with nice soft fur.

i have a ragdoll which we got from a breeder they are great cats if you want one that will sit with you all day and follow you from room to room, i wouldn't let a ragdoll out on its own though as they are too trusting and don't seem to have a sense of danger.

as for diet, the vet we visit advised us to avoid wet food as it's one of the main causes of tooth decay in cats.

couple of pics of my raggy, she is a lot bigger now though

Attachments

• breeze2.jpg
    breeze2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 21
  • breeze3.jpg
    breeze3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 19

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I believe our vet said avoid dry food as it causes kidney problems.

I say let the fuckers catch their own food.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Gumbo said:

Heh you say that but then they leave the entrails and occasionally heads and/or tails on your floor.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
cat_carrier.jpg

Take it with you!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Gumbo said:

There is no problem with dried food if you ensure they have alot of fresh water :). My cats get a variety of food sometimes dried sometimes tinned sometimes tins of tuna.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Dont mess wit de best

Le%20dudes.jpg

Nildram homepages being verrrrry slow today

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've just been to see 2 kittens, gorgeous little things, from the same litter. Both female, about 6 weeks old so should be lots of laughs from them. From an animal rescue centre.

I'm waiting to hear from someone else regarding a persian crossbreed, if they don't ring, then I'm getting those 2 kittens. They're doing a deal on spaying, £17.50 each when the time comes (thats £20 off each).

I'm not sure what to name them, so any suggestions welcome, perhaps we can put it on a poll (of the names I like most that you suggest)?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
How about Fred and Rose?

/edit: LMFAO callous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom