PC Master Race I mocked a PC up, tell me why it's shit.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Yo yo yo, I know this is like two years in the making, but it's finally happening. I'm aware that now may be an expensive time for graphics cards, so I'm fine waiting a bit. How does this look though?

System Build - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windfo... - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£187.14 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£87.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£127.38 @ Eclipse Computers)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card (£409.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-03 Orange ATX Mid Tower Case (£57.59 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: be quiet! - STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 600W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£92.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1076.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-21 18:48 BST+0100

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Buy nothing from ebuyer, they are cunts.
I'd recommend going all amazon due to awesome returns experience.

Seems fine.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Overclockers have always been good to me but Amazon is usually the cheapest option.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I still feel a bit of bad blood towards eBuyer too, don't worry. This isn't necessarily where I'll be getting everything from, just PCPartPicker linking in the cheapest prices for each one. I was mainly posting to see if the specs seem ok :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
if it were me I'd do two things:
-no more spinning disks, ever, unless they're super duper mass storage arrays.
-work out what the power load your system will create for your PSU, and get one that is double that. The average PSU is most power efficient at 50% load.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
+1 on the no more spinning disks.

If you need storage for films etc then yes - but get a proper sized one, otherwise you want a big SSD (or two) for your games/programs/operating system.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
if it were me I'd do two things:
-no more spinning disks, ever, unless they're super duper mass storage arrays.
-work out what the power load your system will create for your PSU, and get one that is double that. The average PSU is most power efficient at 50% load.

+1 on the no more spinning disks.

If you need storage for films etc then yes - but get a proper sized one, otherwise you want a big SSD (or two) for your games/programs/operating system.

Agree - I went full SSD, benefits being:

- super fast
- quiet
- less heat
- online bragging rights

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I agree about the SSD, apart from the gfx card fan occasionally spinning up during games, my PC is now silent. No more "churnnn chun chun bbbb brbrb chun" as things load up. And the PC boots within seconds.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm already way over budget with this, I really don't think I can justify spending even more on tonnes of ssd cards, hah.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A smallish SSD (250-500g) for OS and a couple of games and a standard HDD is fine. You can always replace the media dump with an SSD at a later date.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
A smallish SSD (250-500g) for OS and a couple of games and a standard HDD is fine. You can always replace the media dump with an SSD at a later date.

I did exactly this, ran a 500GB SSD for OS / apps and 1TB for photography / media storage which is cloud synced. I upgraded the 1TB HDD to SDD fairly recently.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
1600x and a good cooler. No point in getting Ryzen if you're not going to OC.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Looks fine Billy, not sure about the Ryzen but that's only because I've never used one before.

old.Osy

Would the stock cooler not do the trick?

And no Ryzen unless I OC? Care to elaborate?

Stock performance is similar to i5 counterpart. To really benefit from the Ryzen's single core performance, one should OC (not by a large amount, mind you - 20%), otherwise there is no perceived or detectable difference. It's as easy as going into BIOS and modifying a single, maybe two fields related to multiplier and/or voltage (if you're going crazy with the OC and you have a mobo that supports increased voltages).

I will upgrade myself, but still on the fence about doing it this year. Need things to settle first.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Stock performance is similar to i5 counterpart. To really benefit from the Ryzen's single core performance, one should OC (not by a large amount, mind you - 20%), otherwise there is no perceived or detectable difference. It's as easy as going into BIOS and modifying a single, maybe two fields related to multiplier and/or voltage (if you're going crazy with the OC and you have a mobo that supports increased voltages).

I will upgrade myself, but still on the fence about doing it this year. Need things to settle first.
Cheers. I've been without a decent PC for so long I don't think I can wait any longer, haha.

If I was to OC, would I need a specific mobo or anything else for it, or is simply overclocking the CPU enough?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Welcome to the master race, leave your rags over there.

Syri

FH is my second home
There really is no need to overclock, unless you're doing anything that's really pushing the limits, and can't afford to go for a higher CPU. I'm running a 3rd generation i5, with no overclocking, and it still handles everything I throw at it. GPUs make much more of a difference for gaming. The only time you need to bump up the CPU is if you do a lot of calculation heavy work, such as ray-tracing, video encoding (though a lot of those are balanced with the GPU now), that kind of thing. For gaming, stock is likely to be fine.
The Ryzen is slightly behind intel's range on single core performance, which is the only thing an overclock might be useful for, but the ryzen is ahead on multi-core, so if you multi-task a lot, or use optimised games, you won't notice that loss anyway, though chances are, you wouldn't really notice even on single core programs, as they're not THAT much behind.

old.Osy

The Ryzen is slightly behind intel's range on single core performance, which is the only thing an overclock might be useful for, but the ryzen is ahead on multi-core, so if you multi-task a lot, or use optimised games, you won't notice that loss anyway, though chances are, you wouldn't really notice even on single core programs, as they're not THAT much behind.

The "slightly behind Intel" is still to be substantiated by real world usage - regardless, my recommendation comes to mitigate, plus it gives your PC a little more oomph on single core performance, with no downside, except splurging a few quid on a decent cooler, and is very easy to apply.

Gamers rarely rely on multi-core - they play games, watch a movie, browse the internet. Most of these activities rely on single/dual core, which is where OC comes to aid.

If he'd have asked for Autocad, Vegas or god knows what else, my recommendation would have sounded differently - he's asking for a gaming PC, and my comment stands.

Of course, in the end for most of us it is down to price / performance. So if Ryzen is more expensive, don't buy it. But if AMD platform is cheaper and offers similar performance....

Syri

FH is my second home
Gamers rarely rely on multi-core - they play games, watch a movie, browse the internet. Most of these activities rely on single/dual core, which is where OC comes to aid.

If he'd have asked for Autocad, Vegas or god knows what else, my recommendation would have sounded differently - he's asking for a gaming PC, and my comment stands.

Of course, in the end for most of us it is down to price / performance. So if Ryzen is more expensive, don't buy it. But if AMD platform is cheaper and offers similar performance....
A lot of modern games are more optimised for multi-core now, but it still doesn't change the fact that changing the CPU speed, in most cases, has far less effect than changing the GPU. Unless you're playing a RTS or something, with a lot going on, overclocking the CPU will barely be noticeable. The vast majority of games are GPU bound, not CPU. A system with a Geforce 1070 powering it is not likely to become noticeably faster if the CPU speed is bumped up slightly, be it a core i5 or a ryzen.
There's just no point in overclocking just to overclock. If you have a CPU and it's not doing the job, fine, try an overclock, but it really isn't needed in almost all cases. In most, it's just down to bragging rights. I'm not saying it's never a good idea, but unless you're going for a full on enthusiast build, it's not really going to be noticed.

old.Osy

We are both right - we just look at it from different angles.

World of tanks for example benefits from OC in my case - it is very CPU intensive, and the OC helps. So do other games.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Finally actually built a PC I made a thread about anyway and holy shit, it's made me realise even more how shite my Z5 is for taking photos.

Attachments

• PC.jpg
    PC.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 23

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's me. My face is on there.

First wank of a new PC was it?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
It was too easy, 96x96 is a doddle. I need your face emoji sized for it to become close to a challenge.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Put your PC on the floor and get yourself some mouse room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom