I miss DAoC's archaic interface.
I miss the low-poly terrain
I miss the horses traveling in straight lines
I miss the horses taking 90 degree turns
I miss defending Excalibur Keep in the Old Frontiers
I miss patrolling the woods between Exc and Caer Renaris
I miss navigating Pennine Mountains by following the stones from keep to keep
I miss talking to the awesomest GMs I've seen
I miss GoA's events, which started crappy but became better and better.
I miss bitching about the new patch
I miss bitching about the delay of the aforementioned patch
I miss joining a chatgroup (and later Battlegroups) for a raid or defense.
I miss talking to my guildmates
I miss talking to my /as mates
I miss yelling at people for abusing /as
I miss being yelled at for abusing /as :p
I miss getting steamrolled by those pesky hibernians
I miss the bond we had with all the players even when times were hard because one of us had died IRL and we all said goodbye.
I miss bitching at those Mids after getting bolted to death once more
I miss being nearsighted
I miss listening to Ventrillo for someone instructing our massive forces
I miss hearing the disappointment and anger when the servers crash
I miss DF
I miss guildmeetings
I miss guildmeetings being interrupted because someone decided to go after a relic. Again.
I miss the feeling of achievement when I reached level 50.
I miss the buffbots, camping at the gate.
I miss running around in the frontiers for hours without bumping into a single FG.
I miss being wiped by 2FG when we finally do find enemies
I miss being excited about the New Frontiers
I miss being angry at the New Frontiers
I miss being fine in the end with the New Frontiers
I miss the Atlantis trials
I miss the low detail textures in the 'old' country
I miss DAoC's unique particle effects
I miss renewing a subscription just before an event takes place, only to end up with the account being locked for a day.
I miss /wave at my friends
I miss Ezteq and Eki and my other online friends
I miss joining the QQ train for QQ central because we got wiped. Again.
I miss seeing MMO abbreviations and lolspeak come and go, some of it is still used today.
I miss being angry at the game designers because who in their right mind allows battles to be won or lost in 30 seconds or less.
I miss the Freddyshouse forums
I miss reading future patch notes or reports about DAoC meets
I miss the oddly written newsposts on the European DAoC site.
I miss the Defenders of the Cross
I miss those snobby Templars :p
I miss the feeling of knowing everyone on the server.
I miss the people on the server.
I miss the feeling that there were less assholes and idiots on our server than, say, my old WoW server Aszune.
I miss not ever having a proper RvR gear or a template
I miss visiting Camelot
I miss having random stalls
I miss watching the memoryfootprint of DAoC crow over 700 megs
I miss reading the developers deny that there are memory issues
I miss people worrying if they'd be banned for running a buffbot account
I miss the end result in which Mythic/GoA actually tried to improve performance for running two accounts at the same time
I miss getting new spells after a level up
I miss figuring out how to level up
I miss starting in Campacorentin Forest, only having just figured out how the interface walk, being invited to hunt 'oranges'.
I miss wondering why the hell anyone would want to hunt fruit.
I miss fighting those rock giant things near the Prydwen Keep Bridge.

I miss DAoC, and I know I could re-sub my account right now but it just wouldn't be the same, would it?

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
If you have some friends still who play the game or would re-sub at the same time, it's definitely worth it. I had a blast coming back with 4 guildies re-subbing also.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, I know. I just wonder if the game was actually better back then. I mean, it's funny how memory works y'know? We tend to forget all the bad things, or, well, we do remember the bad things but not as well as the good stuff.

Somehow, I suspect that if I were to create an account on the OF server, I'd probably be bored very quickly because I've done it all before. But hey, I'll give it a try, just like I'll give WAR a try.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, I know. I just wonder if the game was actually better back then. I mean, it's funny how memory works y'know? We tend to forget all the bad things, or, well, we do remember the bad things but not as well as the good stuff.

Somehow, I suspect that if I were to create an account on the OF server, I'd probably be bored very quickly because I've done it all before. But hey, I'll give it a try, just like I'll give WAR a try.

The playerbase was very tight back then and the community was awesome. I think thats why a lot of players have such fond memories as OF itself was actually a ballache :)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
There's some good philosophizing going on here now.

The Origins server will never be the same as what you remember from the old days, never forget that. It's basically a new server with an old ruleset intertwined with some of the new ruleset, stripped of most of the pve content and balanced as far as possible towards RvR.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The playerbase was very tight back then and the community was awesome. I think thats why a lot of players have such fond memories as OF itself was actually a ballache :)

only if you hated massive pvp battles.

i still have dreams of the old RR's that were going on in Prydwen. 400 - 600 ppl in the same zone were awesome, laggy sure, but still the most fun i've ever had in any game.

oh and the mid zergs capturing Renaris and holding it for almost a week at a time with fights around that zone pretty much 24/7.

think that was the first "IRVR" :) atleast for the albs as mids had to run back if rezzers failed to get to ya :) scouts and earth wizzys for the lose back then tho.. bloody volley and GTAE went through the keep walls/roofs :(

tbh, any bad things that were around back in those days were massivly overcome by all the good stuff. like ppl actually playing RVR(!) instead of a watered down CSS. EVERY class had a chance at getting groups as opted groups werent invented back then, or were largely ignored.

keep takes and defenses on a daily basis, RR's on a weekly basis, AND they were 80% primetime raids.

/sigh *keeps dreaming*

Luile

Fledgling Freddie
I played Daoc since release and then left the game shortly after the introduction of NF as I felt the developers had become increasingly out of touch with the player base's needs. As expansions go SI was a good one but still highlighted that the developers where more interested in getting existing players to "rock n reroll" classes then actually creating class balance.

I actually mildly enjoyed the pve experiences of TOA but the master level abilities and artifacts just brought further imbalance to the RvR side of the game. I believe the results of this caused an increased rate of players leaving the game with the introduction of NF being the final straw for a lot of the people that had played since the games release date.

Over the past years I played other mmo's at a relatively high level of commitment but to be honest the only thing stopping me resubing back to Daoc during that time was the content of the newer expansions. The new server "Origins" looks great and I will be making a happy return to a game that I remember being at one point a lot of fun.

Ok it won’t have the exact same feel as 2001 - 2003 but it will be surely be more fun then what it is now.

I won’t miss Master levels
I won’t miss artifacts
I won’t miss siege craft
I won’t miss battlegrounds

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture

i still have dreams of the old RR's that were going on in Prydwen. 400 - 600 ppl in the same zone were awesome, laggy sure, but still the most fun i've ever had in any game.

oh and the mid zergs capturing Renaris and holding it for almost a week at a time with fights around that zone pretty much 24/7.

think that was the first "IRVR" :) atleast for the albs as mids had to run back if rezzers failed to get to ya :) scouts and earth wizzys for the lose back then tho.. bloody volley and GTAE went through the keep walls/roofs :(

tbh, any bad things that were around back in those days were massivly overcome by all the good stuff. like ppl actually playing RVR(!) instead of a watered down CSS. EVERY class had a chance at getting groups as opted groups werent invented back then, or were largely ignored.

keep takes and defenses on a daily basis, RR's on a weekly basis, AND they were 80% primetime raids.

/sigh *keeps dreaming*

You should put your article on urban dictionaryhttp://www.urbandictionary.com, under lemming zerg.

ZiggY

One of Freddy's beloved
I miss it 2...i miss the days when 89% quality was good lol!...rvr at lv 20 21 (with 20 gold!!) at the zombie camp in midgard being chased by lv 50s :)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

/sigh *keeps dreaming*

I certainly don't miss the long runs out to the main frontier areas. If you didn't get ganked by a 50-100 man zerg you might only find a fg stealthers on a hill to pick you apart, kill your healers then run off laughing as you sit waiting for them to run all the way back only to be picked off again and again on the way.

Ahh, the good old days before rezzing yielded RP's when groups wouldn't let their healers rezz their realm-mates because it wasted their mana :)

The wonders of milegate camping.

The wonders of emain mindless zerg combat.

The fun that was pbaoe groups nuking entire armies through walls and floors...exploit? NO! Working as intended :)

Don't get me wrong, i loved the game back then, but it was far from the perfect portrait some people want to paint of it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I may aswell get involved.. =)

I miss standing on the Gothi pad waiting proudly with my Battlegrounds Necklade on spamming F9 ( I think it was ) and spaming invite =) - Heh, my noob days, well - still am I suppose =) 'Twas a blast!

I would like to thank everyone who I played with and agaisnt, it was cool =) especially to Ilfrin Ardia and Llaw Arian towards the end of the stick for letting a lowbie gimp group with them =)

Thanks DAOC/GOA/Freddys House!

PS. Bet ya forgot about spamming mezz on the mile gates - =)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I miss the old unbuffed tank group fights with no healers or casters anywhere to be seen, at late nights in Emain.

And I miss Caledonia, and how hard it was to take that keep but we always kept trying.

I miss everyone I used to group with back in those days.

Veg

Fledgling Freddie
I miss leveling that first character, seeing things for the first time. Learning about aggro and baf.
I miss sainsbury plains and pulling giants for the first time.
I miss being chased for miles by goblins through cornwall.
I miss the feeling of urgency when the relic keep was being attacked.
I miss the gathering leading up to a huge relic or pve raid.
I miss leveling with The Ministry group made up from a Paladin, Armsman, Infiltrator, Scout, and Theurg in DF when it was new.
I miss running a tank group with Strife, as lead tank, fighting Ithil Galad in Odins.
I miss running my druid in Ithil Galad, owning the zerg.
I miss daoc :(.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I miss running my druid in Ithil Galad, owning the zerg.

The canary brigade.

So many times we'd be in Odins and see you lot come tearing past with a mid tank group not far behind. Yellow was a very apt colour choice ;)

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Silly thing, but did anyone not notice that in Hib when they put Glasny's counterpart in Cain, they imaginatively named her Ynsalg (Glasny backwards)? :)

Lucius

Banned
I never even saw this Manisch person around in those days anyway Ctuchik, so I doubt he has experience - unless he had a forgotten char that no one ever knew about.

Sure, the old days weren't perfect, far from it, but definatly better than the current shit we have/had.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
That's gotta be it, I wasn't around that's why I don't have the right to call "400-600" players at the same place a lemming zerg and am an elitist CSS-bastard and not a SotG-RvR'er.

*yawn*

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I never even saw this Manisch person around in those days anyway Ctuchik, so I doubt he has experience - unless he had a forgotten char that no one ever knew about.

Sure, the old days weren't perfect, far from it, but definatly better than the current shit we have/had.

You were to busy owning in thid i imagine?

Lucius

Banned
I miss the people most of all. The people and communities were the game. Without the people there was no DAoC. It is such a shame that I (and probably many others) are no longer in contact with some of our most cherished friends. I also miss playing for hours on end, trying to convince myself that I should have been outside where I could have had more fun, whilst deep down knowing I will have not.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I miss DAoC's archaic interface.
I miss the horses taking 90 degree turns
I miss talking to my guildmates
I miss talking to my /as mates
I miss yelling at people for abusing /as
I miss being yelled at for abusing /as :p
I miss getting steamrolled by those pesky hibernians
I miss the bond we had with all the players even when times were hard because one of us had died IRL and we all said goodbye.
I miss hearing the disappointment and anger when the servers crash
I miss DF
I miss guildmeetings
I miss guildmeetings being interrupted because someone decided to go after a relic. Again.
I miss the feeling of achievement when I reached level 50.
I miss the buffbots, camping at the gate.
I miss running around in the frontiers for hours without bumping into a single FG.
I miss being wiped by 2FG when we finally do find enemies
I miss being excited about the New Frontiers
I miss being angry at the New Frontiers
I miss being fine in the end with the New Frontiers
I miss the low detail textures in the 'old' country
I miss DAoC's unique particle effects
I miss renewing a subscription just before an event takes place, only to end up with the account being locked for a day.
I miss /wave at my friends
I miss joining the QQ train for QQ central because we got wiped. Again.
I miss seeing MMO abbreviations and lolspeak come and go, some of it is still used today.
I miss reading future patch notes or reports about DAoC meets
I miss the oddly written newsposts on the European DAoC site.
I miss the feeling of knowing everyone on the server.
I miss the people on the server.
I miss wondering why the hell anyone would want to hunt fruit.

/agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom