PS4 I caved...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
mmm. For me. So why would I go back to disk?
Not saying you should. But saying the disk is obsolete is a vast generalisation. And you didn't specify that it was just for yourself in your original statement. Just a blanket it's obsolete.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's the vast minority that have network attached storage for their media. And streaming is still not the way the majority get their content.

So disk is still viable and millions of films are sold that way. Not so much for music. But they still sell albums that way. Especially for older people.

Your a year or more out for things that geeky forum users do becoming the mainstream.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Question; if you have no prior warning and suddenly lose net connectivity are you able to play PSNStore purchased games "offline" without being able to take any action beforehand?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yes you can play them. If there is offline storage or similar. Then you can't cause you can't get to it. Most games you can play offline

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I keep all my films and TV stuff on my pc and use PS3 media server to stream them to watch on my TV, are you saying I am behind the times with this, as it works perfectly for me

If I get a PS4 I cant do that can I (yet)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I keep all my films and TV stuff on my pc and use PS3 media server to stream them to watch on my TV, are you saying I am behind the times with this, as it works perfectly for me

If I get a PS4 I cant do that can I (yet)
No unfortunately it doesn't have DLNA at the moment. That said, I'm not like @Trem with StupAIDS so as I run Plex and PS4 has a Plex client then all is well in my world.

Edmond

No unfortunately it doesn't have DLNA at the moment. That said, I'm not like @Trem with StupAIDS so as I run Plex and PS4 has a Plex client then all is well in my world.

I did install Plex, but I couldn't get on with it. I will give it another go and if its ok then maybe then I'll look at the PS4.

Especially when Uncharted 4 comes out

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I did install Plex, but I couldn't get on with it. I will give it another go and if its ok then maybe then I'll look at the PS4.

Especially when Uncharted 4 comes out

@Edmond it isn't you my friend, it is Plex, it's shit chum. Does PS Media Server still run nowadays? If so use that or Twonky or something just avoid Plex. Meg has gotten even gayer since he got married :eek:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Twonky... now I know you're just taking the piss. Why not just draw all the shows out by hand onto flipbooks and stand in front of the TV for the rest of the family....

Edmond

@Edmond it isn't you my friend, it is Plex, it's shit chum. Does PS Media Server still run nowadays? If so use that or Twonky or something just avoid Plex. Meg has gotten even gayer since he got married :eek:

Yes PS3MS is still running and works perfectly for me with my PS3, but obviously it will be redundant with the PS4

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Your a bit behind the times @Edmond you need a separate nas drive so you don't need to have your pc on all the time for the media. Then you use that to your PS3. You could get a smart tv with Dlna in it. Or a wdtv to stream to. Donno if the ps4 will get it. Not heard of it's a promise. But the PS3 didn't have it originally.

@MYstIC G whats the issue with twonkey? My qnap uses twonkey and it serves the movies with no problems. I have an arm processor version of qnap so pled is a bit shit on it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Twonky was just bad when it was the only solution in town. It may have improved over the years but looking at the website it looks as though it's been passed from pillar to post and is now owned by "whoever picked it up this week" so to speak.

If it works for you then I'd never recommend anything other than leave it be. That's my logic behind Plex, it runs on my FreeNAS server and there's a client for it on every platform I've come across, it also doesn't hurt that it's the top of the charts.

Edmond

I have a quite new smart tv (Panasonic jobby) that has a media server, and can see the PS3 media server, but I doesn't play all formats, which lets it down. I have never had a problem with the PS3MS

Mate has got the PS4 and it cant read the NAS

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have a quite new smart tv (Panasonic jobby) that has a media server, and can see the PS3 media server, but I doesn't play all formats, which lets it down. I have never had a problem with the PS3MS

Mate has got the PS4 and it cant read the NAS
Yeah ps4 won't. I was wondering about the tv.

Edmond

Yeah ps4 won't. I was wondering about the tv.

Ahh, sorry, I see.

Say i use the TV's server, If I get a NAS will it decode files b4 it gets to the tv? because as I said b4, the TV doesn't decode all files

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Ahh, sorry, I see.

Say i use the TV's server, If I get a NAS will it decode files b4 it gets to the tv? because as I said b4, the TV doesn't decode all files
If you out pled on the nas. Plex will then decode. But you need an Intel chipped nas for that not an arm one.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Wdtv box for 70 quid would remove your need to transcode tho :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom