I am HAWKEYE!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Had laser eye surgery on Friday - wow! 20 minutes under the laser, slightly foggy eyesight straight after, hurt like a bastard a couple of hours after that, pain gone by teatime. Had my eyes tested the next morning and they're now three points better than 20:20! Got to put eye drops in and wear clear (protective) glasses for a couple of weeks (oh, and no DC for a bit :() and then its no more specs for me. It was bizarre the first morning afterwards, realised I've been walking about in a vague fog for about 15 years...

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
I hate you.

Congrats you bastard.

;)

edit - my brothers had his done as well. I hate him too.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you took the bit that they burnt off, and added it to my eyes, my eyesight would be much better as well :(

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Cool isnt it. Had mine done a year ago with the same results, better than 20:20

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Who did you do it with? and how much was it? I have thought about having it done for a while now but have heard both good and bad things...i aer teh coward...but congratulations! :clap:

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I thought the whole point of 20-20 was that you weren't supposed to be able to get better than it?

Clearly not, but congrats :)

DaGaffer

jaba said:
Who did you do it with? and how much was it? I have thought about having it done for a while now but have heard both good and bad things...i aer teh coward...but congratulations! :clap:

Ultralase. Costs £1100 an eye for the treatment I had (Lasik). There are other treatments for different conditions - up to about £1500 an eye. Must admit I was bricking it just before I went in.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Hate you too...I've been told I cant have this done :(

Oh and congrats!

Perhaps I'll try in a few years when technology has moved on a bit and my eyes have gotten worse....doh!

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
For how long can they guarentee that your eyes will be that good?
Been thinking of doing it myself, but if sight gets worse again after like 3-4 years it don't seem worth it.

DaGaffer

pcg79 said:
hows the ol nightvision?

Well, I've just been out driving and it seems fine. One of the common side-effects is 'starring' when you see bright lights/contrasts, but I don't seem to have that problem.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
DaGaffer said:
Well, I've just been out driving and it seems fine. One of the common side-effects is 'starring' when you see bright lights/contrasts, but I don't seem to have that problem.
sounds really good :) but i dont think i have a) the money b) the right age (21+ right?)
although the idea of getting my eyes zapped by a laser is quite scary anyway!

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Ardrias said:
For how long can they guarentee that your eyes will be that good?
Been thinking of doing it myself, but if sight gets worse again after like 3-4 years it don't seem worth it.

I don't think they can guarantee anything, not even how good your sight will be after the operation. My brother said it could last until he was 70, but using computer screens makes them worse more quickly.
I think his nightvision was a little strange for a little while, but returned to normal. He had his done at moorfields in London btw, supposed to be quite good.

If I had 2 good eyes I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's a little complicated for me. :(

DaGaffer

GekuL said:
I don't think they can guarantee anything, not even how good your sight will be after the operation. My brother said it could last until he was 70, but using computer screens makes them worse more quickly.
I think his nightvision was a little strange for a little while, but returned to normal. He had his done at moorfields in London btw, supposed to be quite good.

If I had 2 good eyes I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it's a little complicated for me. :(

Its unlikely my eyes will go back to the way they were (apparently) because I've had a stable prescription for a long time. Its quite possible that I could end up needing reading glasses when I'm older, but even if I get ten years of good vision its worth it for me. I've probably sat on glasses/lost glasses/bought contacts worth thousands over the last decade alone.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Not to mention the lack of nose-soreness.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
From the title I though you were going to Korea.

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I played Hawkeye in a stage version of M*A*S*H. I thought DaGaffer was as well. :(

Congrats anyway, I guess.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
GekuL said:
He had his done at moorfields in London btw, supposed to be quite good.
That's where I had mine done. It's actually the best in the country & the lead Dr there (Dr Gartry) did mine. Worth every penny of the £3,000.00 it cost. My reasons were the same as DaGaffers in that benefits >>> than the cost & even if in later life glasses are needed again, so what? worn them before after all.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Summo said:
I played Hawkeye in a stage version of M*A*S*H. I thought DaGaffer was as well. :(

... after having seen Jup's pic - he could play Radar! :D
(Oh, he's going to hate me for this... hehe)

Will

/bin/su
MYstIC G said:
That's where I had mine done. It's actually the best in the country & the lead Dr there (Dr Gartry) did mine. Worth every penny of the £3,000.00 it cost. My reasons were the same as DaGaffers in that benefits >>> than the cost & even if in later life glasses are needed again, so what? worn them before after all.
That's one interesting thing. Havingmet you IRL (for better or for worse), you don't look like someone who left their house and forgot their glasses. Nine times out of ten, I can tell who wears glasses without really putting too much thought into it. I think they blink less, and their eyes look subtely like they are focusing on the wrong place. One plus for the laser surgery option.

Wish me luck, I'm going for my first eyecheck ever once work send me the promised voucher. I've been getting headaches from using PCs too much, and I don't think (it could be in my head) I can focus on things quite as far away as I used to be able to.

Cyfr

Banned
Im gona have this done, I hate glasses, they get in the way :(
I guess I have to wait till im 18 or something tho. :(

Cyfr

Banned
Will said:
That's one interesting thing. Havingmet you IRL (for better or for worse), you don't look like someone who left their house and forgot their glasses. Nine times out of ten, I can tell who wears glasses without really putting too much thought into it.

Yeah Will, me too.. It sort of gives it away for me tho, since they have a huge frame on their face... ;)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
been wearing glasses since I was 4 which was *cough* a few years ago.

Never felt the urge to even go to contact lenses, never mind surgery

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
Lazarus said:
been wearing glasses since I was 4 which was *cough* a few years ago.

Never felt the urge to even go to contact lenses, never mind surgery
*prod Laz with 'the Urge'*

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
i've been thinking about having this done for some time not too, i usually forget about it after a while as i'm scared shitless of hospitals, dentists and even opticians. I'm agoraphobic.

I've had bad eyes now for about 10years, going without a checkup in the last 2 years. Wearing glasses is especially annoying i find and contacts just dont feel right. I find there's nothing more annoying than being able to see damn all when in a swimming pool, or working at drills all day (which i do alot) and getting the lens scratched with a bit of brick.

Thanks for the price indication, it sounds as if its worth it and i really should give it some more thought. After 10years now, the only problem i wonder would be, would i suit not wearing glasses now? :)

Fair play to ya fella! :cheers:

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
, but thIf it helps prod anyone in that direction

My girlfriend had it over a year ago at Boots in Reading (they have a shelf of it next to the tampons ;) )

They make you have two consultations and a seriously heavy eye exam to decided whether you're suitable and serious about having it. Any doubts from either side and they'll refuse to treat you.

It was £1250 per eye, but I think the price has dropped since then. The actual procedure took 10 minutes. She came out with these funy plastic covers on her eyes and could see perfectly by the end of the same day. Stunning really, given that for the 5 years I'd been with her, she'd had all sorts of hassles with glasses and contacts.

She had a lens prescription of 1.75 in one eye and 2.25 in the other (ish). There were two standard followup appointments at 1 and 3 months, just to check the cornea had healed ok, but she can now look forward to not having eye problems until, like everyone, she starts to get long-sighted in her fifties.

There's a lot of "OOh I heard a friend of my mate's had that and went completely blind/got a nasty infection/had holes drilled in her brain" sort of thing going around. Seems to be urban myth style whisperings. I've not seen or heard of one concrete case of this procedure going wrong.

but don't take our advice, get the boots consultations (they're free, you can walk away afterwards) and they'll answer all the quesitons.

There is, apparently, a cheaper method that physically scrapes the cornea away instead of using lasers, but that one hurts lots and takes ages to heal. Failing that I'll do it for you on my kitchen table with a spoon and a torch...

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I have half the money saved up now. Need to finish one more job for a friend to get the other half. I suppose I should wait, but I'm so tempted to get one eye done and wear a monocole ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom