Hybrid SLI newb question

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Do I need an SLI-capable motherboard to be able to make use of an nvidia 9850x2 (or whatever the hell numbers it is)? I've tried reading around and there is a lot of crud about.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Don't buy a 9800x2, or at least not yet. The new cards from ATI and Nvidia are out in a couple of weeks, and they should perform better or at least reduce prices.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mazling

inactionman's right, hold off for now. There's also the old debate about whether these cards are worth the price premium, as the performance gains aren't always stellar.

Kind regards

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Don't buy a 9800x2, or at least not yet. The new cards from ATI and Nvidia are out in a couple of weeks, and they should perform better or at least reduce prices.

Yes, but my 8800gtx has given up - boot screen corruption, only works via vga (not dvi) cable, no hardware acceleration in windows. STUCK. I've no backup either (last gfx card was agp) so ... help. :(

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, nasty situation. Assuming your card is out of warranty. you've basically got 2 choices:

- Buy a second hand 8800GTX (they aren't that expensive anymore) and remain at the same performance;
- Buy a make do card now (something cheap in PCI-E like a 9600GT, 8800GT or even a 3800) and upgrade when the new cards come out (selling the old card, even to somewhere like CEX as they tend to give good value).

Plus the 9800GX2 is a bit of a lemon like all the GX2 cards are.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, but my 8800gtx has given up - boot screen corruption, only works via vga (not dvi) cable, no hardware acceleration in windows. STUCK. I've no backup either (last gfx card was agp) so ... help. :(

Have you got a BFG branded 8800? If so, they have a lifetime warranty and a pretty quick repair/replace service.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Lecter has just suggested "do without a card for a few weeks and fucking go outside" or something :)
I think a cheap card will do for now, because it can always be a standby for when the next card goes ping whereas a gx2 might not be as robust/compatible in future and I don't think value for money - and with new cards on the horizon prices are bound to drop soonish anyway. Bad moment for it to break eh! Feel free to hunt for good deals for mazling ;-) I'm not under warranty anyway. Thanks guys!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah fair enough.

Well, next time buy a bloody BFG! :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
If you're really stuck, paypal me a tenner (postage & beer) and I'll throw you a reference 7900GT.
I keep meaning to ebay it but my ebay account is currently verging on "are you sure you're not a business?" and I don't want to upset ebay/taxman.

Might help you until you get fixed up.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Good man, Kryt, that's kind :)

As for eBay, don't upset them! I recently had an issue with PayPal, and it was a bit of a nightmare to sort out. Since I had received over a certain amount so far this year, the EU requires them to prove I wasn't laundering money (I kid you not :D), so I had to jump through various hoops, deal with polite but unhelpful CSRs, and wait for over a month as their automated verification systems failed twice *sigh* Anyway, enough grumbling, but just be careful in case eBay decide to suspend your account while they investigate.

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. Just in case anyone gets pedantic with this thread's title, technically 'Hybrid(Power) SLI' is nVidia's name for switching between a dedicated and integrated graphics card so as to save power when not under load. Two graphics cores on one card, like the 9800X2 etc., is 'dual-GPU'. Anyway, we're all the same page, so it doesn't matter (although if nVidia are reading this and would like to send us some hardware to clarify matters, please feel free ^^).

Yaka

Part of the furniture
If you're really stuck, paypal me a tenner (postage & beer) and I'll throw you a reference 7900GT.
I keep meaning to ebay it but my ebay account is currently verging on "are you sure you're not a business?" and I don't want to upset ebay/taxman.

Might help you until you get fixed up.

you got 2 options either idle your account for 8 months and just use it to buy or
switch to a buissness one, once they lock your account you fucked its worse than when paypal lock your account and ask you to provide id and prrof of purchase for the items you sold in the past.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I know, I've already been through all that :)
Much more to think about than just setting up as an ebay business; i.e. the taxman this end etc. Can't afford to be doing that.
So, will probably be idling.
I'm guessing they work on an april-april basis so Im likely to be reasonable safe if that's the case, but I also imagine they work on "any ongoing period of 12 months" when it suits them (taxman)
I can't help having a shitload of crap lying around :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom