Hulk

S

Scouse

OK. To sum up this thread (with all the observations below being drawn from what I've read on this thread):

People who liked it:
Appreciate a good story and recognise that for a film to be good it's better to have depth of characterisation rather than constant mind-numbing wall-to-wall action.

They are also are pretty easy going and relax and go along with it - it's based on a wholly unbelieveable premise after all so if some points in the plot seem a little shaky - who gives a fuck.

People who don't like it:
Turned up with preconceptions on what type of film they wanted to see.

Have problems with suspension of disbelief.

In, say, 3 cases out of 5 haven't actually seen it.

Hey-ho. No chance of an ang-lee sequel though - having any sort of depth in a film that, as far as the masses are concerned, should be all-action is a BIG no-no from now on :(

/edit: i aer thiky grammarrr....

T

The_Sheriff

Originally posted by WPKenny
The had him wired in and knew if there was any hint of him "going green" they'd fry him. They didn't count on his dad being able to eat electricity though.

The whole point was he didn't want to turn in to the Hulk. Which is why that other guy had such fun beating the crap out of him and he still didn't change.

He wasn't sedated cos he would never get angry if he was sedated. They thought they were prepared for him if he did turn green but it turns out they totally underestimated the invulnerability of the Hulk.

Still doesn't make sense.
Just because they sedate him (which is what Banner wanted) doesn't mean they can't wake him up again.

No I'm sorry that set-up made no sense except as a bad plot exposition.

S

Scouse

Originally posted by The_Sheriff
Still doesn't make sense.
Just because they sedate him (which is what Banner wanted) doesn't mean they can't wake him up again.

No I'm sorry that set-up made no sense except as a bad plot exposition.

Ahem. *cough*.

See: second statement on people who didn't like it in my last post ;)

:D

J

Jonny_Darko

I thought it was utterly brialliant. Slow, yes, boring, no.

I think people just wanted to see the Hulk, rather than to see a decent film. And he doesn't turn up until quite a way in...

Personally I thought the way they teased the transformation was brilliant, and it was packed with excellent little touches (like the green nuclear bomb going off in his mind).

And when Hulk does show up I think he's incredible. Yes the solidness of the CGI is ever so slightly believable but his movement is spot on. You believe he's there from the moment he kicks his first door down. I also love how clumsy they've made him.

Comic fans have gone to it wanting two hours of "Hulk Smash" and are disappointed, sitting through the first hour not listening and instead just twitching for the change, while people after a good movie will think of it as silly. That's why it'll never find its audience, but imo it's an excellent film. Better than X-Men 1 & 2, better than Daredevil and on a par with Spidey.

The only bad bits in the entire film were Nolte's slightly OTT performance and the last 15 minutes which seemed to make absolutely no sense.

S

Scouse

Aside from the Hulk, Nolte was the absolute star for me.

I find that any film that wants to be good needs one absolute dynamite actor in there to add gravitas where it's needed....

(although I admit that my last sentence was just barely thought out so can you lot kindly just skim over it and take it like it was fact without over-analysing it, right? Ta.)

;)

D

dysfunction

I went to see this last night and I enjoyed it a lot! I liked the comic book style and feel to it. Although the split screen thing did get a little irritating.

I also like the very small scene where the Marvel Hulk comic creater and the body builder from the TV series were having a quick chat...i thought it was a nice touch.

Also this film is worth seeing cos Jennifer Connelly is in it and she always looks good!

People say the Hulk is not too believable with the CGI graphics....but how do you make a huge big green 12 foot monster believable?? He doesnt look human at all. But saying that I thought the scene where he shrank back to his normal size was superbly done!

I would recommend this film! I was drawn into the film which to me is always good.

T

The_Sheriff

Originally posted by Scouse
People who don't like it:
Turned up with preconceptions on what type of film they wanted to see.

Have problems with suspension of disbelief.

In, say, 3 cases out of 5 haven't actually seen it.

Originally posted by Scouse
Ahem. *cough*.

See: second statement on people who didn't like it in my last post ;)
:D

I did like the film, not my favourite but still enjoyable.
Suspension of disbelief yes, but if I hung it any higher it'd be in fucking orbit with those last fifteen minutes.

S

Scouse

I also like the very small scene where the Marvel Hulk comic creater and the body builder from the TV series were having a quick chat...i thought it was a nice touch.

Stan Lee and Lou Ferringo :)

C

cjravey

Dulll, dull, dull. There seems to be a hollywood fear of people saying or doing anything exciting in case a film looks 'silly.'

I HATE mindless action films, I didn't want hours of Hulk smash. But the dialogue was meaningless mumble with occasionally Nolte wandering in from a different, and awful, movie. If you want long dialogue scenes that are good, watch I Claudius or the like - I'm not against talky stuff, as long as people are actually SAYING something...

Anyway, my 2p's worth. Wrestle you on Monday, Jon - I can feel your hulkish rage....;)

J

Jonny_Darko

I will not debate this with you until you've watched the whole film though... :p

C

cjravey

If it's enough to make me walk out of a cinema and go and get drunk, it's enough;)

S

Sar

Originally posted by WPKenny
:(

I thought Hulk was a near perfect comic book conversion. I loved it.

Ditto.

Saw it last night, and while it isn't a film that will keep those of a short attention span (Hello there Sun readers!) entertained throughout, mainly due to the long periods of the film where people keep talking without blowing something up, it is excellent.

Some genuinely thrilling and intriguing bits in it.

P

plightstar

Well I just recently read Volume 6 of Ultimate X-men and it featured the Ultimates and the Hulk which is locked up in underneath the base of the Ultimates, the power goes out while Magneto is attacking and when it comes back on, Captain America storms in saying that before the restrainers came back on the Hulk eat 6 nurse's.

Now that is a great version of the Hulk it actually scares u, not in a ahh a ghost way but more like oh my God.

O

Ono

Hmmm, missed this at the cinema but watched the DVD tonight.

Bit hit and miss I thought. I'm a big fan of Ang Lee but thought he missed a great opportunity to make a top class film out of an excellent comic series.

I have no qualms about the casting. Eric Bana and the lovely Jennifer Connelly were well suited but something was missing. That spark to take it into the realms of true blockbuster. As it is, it is merely another movie destined to be forgotten.

Shame.

E

Embattle

Or remembered as the forgotten film when Hulk 2 comes out ;)

E

Embattle

Having just watched it is a bit slow in places but still good overall.

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Ono
Hmmm, missed this at the cinema but watched the DVD tonight.

Bit hit and miss I thought. I'm a big fan of Ang Lee but thought he missed a great opportunity to make a top class film out of an excellent comic series.

I have no qualms about the casting. Eric Bana and the lovely Jennifer Connelly were well suited but something was missing. That spark to take it into the realms of true blockbuster. As it is, it is merely another movie destined to be forgotten.

Shame.

So well worth the £40 you spent on the super box set! :p

O

Ono

Originally posted by dysfunction
So well worth the £40 you spent on the super box set! :p
£32 actually - although you can buy the UK box for £23 from MVC. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom