HS2

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yup, and they are appealing it, but these are the strangest days, many pivotal points in the way the world sees itself.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Oh look, if you do the 'big picture' thing, not the simple cherry picking.

Trains arent anywhere as good as they seem.
Planes just fly in empty space, trains require huge infrastructure and maintenance of the entire route.
Train can be worse for climate than plane

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The second word in the link...reaching.
Can be. Just not always.

Don't see how that's reaching. Did you read the points about where electrified trsins get their electricity from, infrastructure costs and passenger numbers?

It's not particularly surprising tbh.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Can be. Just not always.

Don't see how that's reaching. Did you read the points about where electrified trsins get their electricity from, infrastructure costs and passenger numbers?

It's not particularly surprising tbh.

The grid is going to go greener a faster than any plane will, with renewable sources providing nearly 40% of grids needs at times.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The grid is going to go greener a faster than any plane will, with renewable sources providing nearly 40% of grids needs at times.

Gotta love a bit of greenwashing. Like the "renewable" power sources that involve cutting down trees in Canada, shipping them across the Atlantic, and burning them in Drax.

Take that out, and Wind, Solar and Hyrdo are meeting less than 17% of demand currently.

Chances of getting to 100% Electricity generation in the UK without building a shedload of nukes? Zero. Sweet FA.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Gotta love a bit of greenwashing. Like the "renewable" power sources that involve cutting down trees in Canada, shipping them across the Atlantic, and burning them in Drax.

Take that out, and Wind, Solar and Hyrdo are meeting less than 17% of demand currently.

Chances of getting to 100% Electricity generation in the UK without building a shedload of nukes? Zero. Sweet FA.

I considered Nuclear as a green source although not renewable in my comment.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not convinced bragging about HS2 is wise when you consider how people are currently not using public transport any where near as much as pre-covid, even if this changes and numbers increase they'll still be a reduction.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'm not convinced bragging about HS2 is wise when you consider how people are currently not using public transport any where near as much as pre-covid, even if this changes and numbers increase they'll still be a reduction.

Waste of time now that many people that would use it now work from home and have their meetings over zoom.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Waste of time now that many people that would use it now work from home and have their meetings over zoom.

Least it might be ready by the time it is needed now...I guess :p

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as a brag.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Plus massively expensive compulsory purchase orders and compensation payouts along the route. Oh, and moving a river.
CPO's aren't expensive in terms of compensation to the end party. The O/H is involved in it - people don't make much (if any, and often dispute and would lose out - all for being forced from homes they may have lived in their whole lives).

Embattle

FH is my second home
It also appears they even flattened some houses ready for HS2 which is now no longer going to be used.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not sure I'd complain about too much bureaucracy, the last thing we want is a repeat of the huge mistakes made in the 50s, 60s and 70s, when we bulldozed our way through cities and neighbourhoods, building motorway viaducts and ring roads.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not sure I'd complain about too much bureaucracy, the last thing we want is a repeat of the huge mistakes made in the 50s, 60s and 70s, when we bulldozed our way through cities and neighbourhoods, building motorway viaducts and ring roads.

There is far too much of it, an example from the this politico article:

But Dumitriu says Britain has a specific problem — the high costs and complexity caused by the vagaries of its planning system, which seems designed to protect countryside at all costs. He points to a proposed new crossing of the Thames estuary for which the planning application alone cost £267 million — and ran to 60,000 pages.

Nearly every UK government talks about reforming the planning system but they never really do, it is sort of how we often hear about plans to reform other basic but complex systems such tax system, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom