HP ProLiant Athlon II Neo N36L MicroServer Upgrades?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have one of these servers, which is great in every way but I was wondering if there is anyway I could boost the processing power on them or are they at the limit. Mine has the 1.5 CPU in it and 8gb of ram and a 5400HD ATi GFX card. I would ideally like to upgrade the CPU but I am not sure if I can with the motherboard that is used etc. Would a better and none (shit) ATi GFX card help with transcoding or is that nothing to do with it at all, is transcoding all to do with the CPU?

I basically want to future proof my server now I have a sweet HTPC, I want my server to be able to chuck stuff over the network without any stuttering, which it doesn't do now (unless I use the god awful Plex :eek:). Listen, I'm bored, I have no job, I want to spend some money on shit before I end up in the local YMCA, advise me!

Cheers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Basically no. The processor or the heat sink I can't remember which is soldered to the motherboard. Meaning to upgrade them you would a fairly high skill level. The new series Gen8 I think let you swap the processor very easily but they are a fair bit more.

Trem

That answers that then, cheers again @soze

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have one of these servers, which is great in every way but I was wondering if there is anyway I could boost the processing power on them or are they at the limit. Mine has the 1.5 CPU in it and 8gb of ram and a 5400HD ATi GFX card. I would ideally like to upgrade the CPU but I am not sure if I can with the motherboard that is used etc. Would a better and none (shit) ATi GFX card help with transcoding or is that nothing to do with it at all, is transcoding all to do with the CPU?

I basically want to future proof my server now I have a sweet HTPC, I want my server to be able to chuck stuff over the network without any stuttering, which it doesn't do now (unless I use the god awful Plex :eek:). Listen, I'm bored, I have no job, I want to spend some money on shit before I end up in the local YMCA, advise me!

Cheers.
As @soze says, this is a non starter. That said if you factor in what you'd be prepared to pay for a new CPU it's probably about £100. HP will release the next revision which you can wait for until it goes on one of their stupid deals and just replace the whole box for like £120.

Also my N36L is the same as yours without a GPU and IT RUNS PLEX JUST FINE SO IT IS YOU FFS M0NG :eek:

Trem

Plex is the worst out of the bunch I have tried, it is utter garbage, it isn't me. Also, why the fuck do I want all the god damn fucking shitty art work all over the shop of all the films I have, it can fuck off, I just want a list of films that play smoothly and faultlessly WHICH PLEX DOESN'T DO! You just haven't tried better software yet Meg you flid :eek:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I WENT FROM XBMC (Now called Kodi, how fucking lame) TO PLEX BECAUSE IT IS BETTER ALSO IT HAS A LIST VIEW BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONE I USE YOU SPACKTARD! :eek: :eek:

Anyway, just buy a new microserver when they next refresh it, I think they're on the N56L at the moment iirc.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I am with @Trem on this XBMC all the way. This might change should I wish to stream my media out side of my house until then Windows Shares and XBMC all the way.

I am just waiting for a £100 cash back offer on a Gen 8 MicroServer though socket 1155 processors and easy to upgrade, yes please. A guy on work is running an i7 in his.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gen 8 are a massive price hike over the previous ones though.

Trem

Plex is riddled with the worst type of AIDS I have ever seen Meg, I don't want to mess with the fucking view it should just not be a ponce and show it as a list and then let me make it fancy if I want, and.......AND the picture is better through XBMC and it is better through Mezzmo. Don't forget I have a different set up to you as well, I am on WIndows server and iirc you are on Linux or some other geeky pile of twat that I simply couldn't be arsed with (do).

I really shouldn't spend any money on another one, the one me and Meg have is really very good, I was just curious if the CPU could be whipped out (which soze answered) and another faster one found cheaply on Ebay and shoved in. I did buy one when Meg got his and sent it back because I didn't have any patience (they still sent me the £100 cheque though :D ) I then got another a year later and I am so glad I did (got another £100 cheque as well), they really are belting little machines. I really should sell my Readynas Duo at some point.

leggy

Probably Scottish
geeky pile of twat :)

I use win8 as a server mate (that's right! fuck off nerds!) and plex runs like a dream. And I love the picture view :)... It's so gay it fits in perfectly with my lifestyle.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
People who don't like Plex: fucking gooners and people from Stoke. The defense rests, your honour.

I also like the picture view, it makes browsing through my Plex library from the other side of the room with Plex Remote on my phone a breeze. Before Plex I just used to play stuff on my computer so all I knew previously was opening videos in Windows Explorer. Plex was like a breath of fresh air I tells ya.

Trem

There we go, a Frenchy and a Southern cow like Plex. The choice is yours people.

Become a garlic eating surrender monkey mixed with a tip toeing white wine drinking fanny or use XBMC?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh really, try installing the addon and getting it working without the crossdomain error and get back to me.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Here's another one for you.
How do you watch iplayer over dlna using plex as a server - similar thing - you get a crossdomain error because plex is shit.
If your server is connected to your tv, then it works, if you're casting to a dlna device via the server, it won't work.

Cuz its shit.

Sidenote: You can actually crash your plex server opening something as simple as a dual audio+sub mkv. lol.

What a piece of wank.

Trem

@ECA :D what do you use as your streamy thingy? I had a look at Media Portal 2 yesterday and jesus christ that is fucking indepth, I really couldn't figure that bitch out but that does seem like it would do *everything*

I have now removed Mezzmo from the server, it was battering the resources and...*ahem*.....(fo Meg :eek:) I am having an issue with XBMC not showing up on my TV, working fine server side but not showing on the TV, I will fiddle today.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If all you wanna do is watch english language, no subtitles and thats it then there is plenty out there that works great.
As soon as you throw a level of complexity at these things they all fall over and shit themselves.

That's because all the TV manufacturers added dlna support in their own way and didn't assume/know about mp4/mkv dual audio/multi subs, and a lot of the dlna server software doesn't account for that stupidity and let you select which components you want ahead of time instead "thats the tv end matesz". Universal Media Server does handle that well, but is a ballsack pain to install on my synology.

The second level of complexity is that I wanna watch twitch streams, and again. Massive ballache.
Serviio used to do this quite well and was nas installable, but as of Justin.tv shutting down the plugin I was using no longer functions >.>

So in the end I'm using DS Video for phone use, booting up UMS on my pc if I want to watch anime/korean films and generally being frustrated because what should be simple really fucking isnt.

I'm probably going to buy a rockwell 3288 based android box when we start getting availability over here because it'll fix all the buggy nonsense I wanna do. ( by bypassing dlna and essentiially being a htpc with network access over rj45 ).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
For the record I've not had a single problem with Plex and multi-track MKVs. I rip all my Blu-rays with English, French and Dutch DTS/AC3 audio (as available) with the same language subs. Maybe I've just been lucky.

No experience with Twitch but for what I use it for (playing back local media), Plex is faultless.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Are you playing those mkvs over DLNA ( eg semi smart tv or console ), or to something running a plex app ?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No DLNA, I have a HTPC running Plex Home Theater plugged into the HDMI on the (very un-smart) TV. It's what @Trem is supposed to be doing and it should be working flawlessly but... @Trem. :(

Trem

@ECA I don't fully understand what you need, it really is far beyond my understanding but you really should look at MP2, it does do Twitch and I am going to post a link which may or may not give you some information but I am sure you already know all about it - http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/twitch-tv-search-improvements.123288/

If you have ever used MP2 or if you ever do and can suss it out let me know if it's any good.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't want to mess with the fucking view it should just not be a ponce and show it as a list and then let me make it fancy if I want
NO. The whole point of a 10 foot interface is to be all spangly and stuff so you can sit back and navigate easily without having to squint and read a boring list. :eek:

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think @Trem has two separate setups. The HTPC that he uses which works fine. But he is looking for a DLNA setup that the wife and kids can use without having to boot it up. So DLNA to the TV.

Trem

@soze that's right chum, surprisingly I am fine with the more slightly complicated things @caLLous but the wife goes ape shit when the kids are bouncing around her and she can't get the film on they want to watch. I did put Plex on for her and she vomited all over the room when she saw the interface, she said it looked like it had been shot with Homer's make-up gun so obviously I can't put that on again for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom