How's your team doing?

mank!

Part of the furniture
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]E I E I E I O
UP THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO
[/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]WHEN WE WIN PROMOTION
THIS IS WHAT WE'LL SING
WE ARE SWINDON WE ARE SWINDON
ANDY IS OUR KING

Gotta say that I'm (not so) quietly confident atm, we're grinding out results even when we're not playing brilliantly and that can only be a good sign. I just hope we've finally hit some consistency and are back on the form that led us to a 10 game unbeaten run at the start of the season. We've won two games on the trot for the first time since 98 and Parkin and Mooney with 28 goals beteween them are having the best partnership we've seen since Shearer and White back in the late 80's/early 90's. All looks positive, although it's highly frustrating we couldn't keep Ruster due to his previous club demanding £340,000 in 'compensation for training wages'!

So how is your team doing?

[/font][/font]

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Nottingham Forest:
Last season had two of the best goalscorers in Division 1.
This season: Johnson broke his leg about a month in, Harewood was sold for a paltry £500,000 to keep the club financially alive. The small God that is Andy Reid will inevitably be sold over the summer I fear. Especially since we're currently 1 point from the relegation zone.

Johnson is due back in February, but unless he switches on the goals from the word go, we're fucked.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I have to say I can't believe Forest are doing so badly. Is the drop from the Premiership only just hitting you financially or what?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Plymouth Argyle.

2 seasons ago won Division 3 outright. First season in the 2nd Division they came 9th or so, but this season they lead Div 2 by 5 clear points from QPR and have the highest GD of any team in any of the 4 main divisions and the conference (+39).

Things are going swimmingly.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
mank said:
I have to say I can't believe Forest are doing so badly. Is the drop from the Premiership only just hitting you financially or what?
We've had money problems for years, it's only really since the ITV collapse and the introduction of transfer windows that we've started managing the finances more maturely though. Forest went through a phase of being bought out every 2 years with an extra £20 million. Heck, maybe staff began to rely on that.

Anyway, more recently we've had to go down the path of selling a good player every season - sometimes every 6 months - to keep the finances in order. We've been short of sucess with regards to cup runs, so there's been no extra income. The net result is that we're extremely reliant on our first XI. We're not a bad side at all - the football we play is genuinely pretty these days - but when a major player goes out - in this case Johnson - then we just lose it. Selling Harewood was unfortunate but he refused to resign so we had no choice. We bough Marlon King from somewhere as replacement, but he's not settled yet. We can't afford anyone else to fill the Johnson gap. We've got an average defence (God I miss Alan Rogers), keeper is one of the best in the division (there's a Notts fan around here somewhere, I'll buy ye a pint for letting us pouch him) and our midfield is pretty good: the aforementioned Andy Reid is outstanding. He'll be in the Prem one way or another within 2 seasons (that's how much contract he has left). He's also the only player with a decent price tag on him ~£6 million is our quote to keep the Prem at bay for the time being.

There you Mank, the sad tale of Nottingham Forest's difficult times. It's a painful injustice - I lost interest when we last went down cause we were playing shite football. However, I saw them on Sky over Christmas and was stunned to see them one touch passing without it going to the other team (genuine case of "don't do that... oh, it worked... nice *big grin*"). Therefore it's typical that as soon as we start playing nice football we get into trouble. I'm back into it at the moment though, just praying Johnson gets back to form in time to save us.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Sounds all too familiar really, you're right about Reid though - he's a real talent. I hope you keep hold of him, although sadly it won't be easy!

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Aye. We had offers during this transfer window but we seem to have been able to reject them this time around so clearly the football vs. finances situation isn't too bad for the next 6 months. Maybe Harewood's sale sorted that out. Or, quite likely, they just realised that although we wouldn't say no to the money, we wont survive without him.

He reminds me a lot of a player called Damien Johnson. We had him on loan a few years back from Blackburn. Similar kind of player. He was dead young, but put everything into his game. He got a huge amount of respect from the fans while he was there. I've never heard of him since though :( I feel sorry for him really.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Damien Johnson's at Birmingham I think.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Liverpool

we are having a strange season, our manager likes to play useless players every week (even if they've had a shocker the previous game), he also has a fondness of playing them out of position and then whinges when we get ripped apart. We will probably lose one of our best players at the end of the season even if we achieve a top 4 finish. Djibril Cisse is meant to be on the way in the summer hopefully he can make up for Diouf and Heskey

Having said thay we did play well against Newcastle and our defense looked 10x stronger now H & H are in the middle.

Outlook for the future is moderate to good.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Juventus are second in the table, three points behind Roma. After a pre-christmas slump we seem to be back in the game again, helped no doubt by the return to form of our lord Alex. If we can beat them on the 8th, Juve will be top of Serie A and all will be well in the world again.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I'm a Spurs fan as you know :(

Usual job, we look ok, then we look like we're going to get relegated, then we look like we could get a champions league spot, then we look shit, then we look ok, then we look distinctly average and come 12th.

Another standard season for us, though I still think we're improving as time goes on. But then I've thought that each season for the last 20 years or so.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Jonaldo said:
I'm a Spurs fan as you know :(

Usual job, we look ok, then we look like we're going to get relegated, then we look like we could get a champions league spot, then we look shit, then we look ok, then we look distinctly average and come 12th.

Another standard season for us, though I still think we're improving as time goes on. But then I've thought that each season for the last 20 years or so.
What's happened with Dean Marney? He was excellent when he was on loan to us last season and Hoddle seemed to rate him highly but he's not had a look in since Pleat took over, who oddly seems to rate Johnnie Jackson who was useless when he was with us. So one footed that he can't do anything with his right foot but stand on it, did nothing defensively, wasn't exactly impressive going forward and his only saving grace is that he's good at dead-ball delivery and taking free kicks.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
west ham

maybe not going back to premier but owning wolves 3-1 so far in fa cap, mighty :D

Rederovski

Fledgling Freddie
Man City:

Decent start to the season, looked like a top 6 place but since getting knocked out of the UEFA cup in the early rounds by Groclin (a polish team) we've barely won a game. From the 5 or 6 games i've seen during this bad spell, we've played decently and, for quite a few games we've been unlucky, I suppose it didnt help that we had to play a young inexperianced keeper (Kevin Elegard) because Seaman was injured and then decided to retire, we've got David James now so should be alot better, but was suprised that he wasnt in starting line up for Spurs match.

Still in with a chance of top 10 if we get a good run, but europe looks unlikely unfortunately, very dissapointing with the quality line-up we have at the moment.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Rederovski said:
we've got David James now so should be alot better, but was suprised that he wasnt in starting line up for Spurs match.
I'm not a City fan and even I know he's cup tied.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
West Ham.

Dissappointed that our home game has still not improved and our re-ascendancy is not looking as on track as it should be.

Also marginally dissappointed that the exodus continues, however, West Ham have never survived as a big spending team and anyone with a fat paycheck is going to move on one day, regardless of which division we're in. As long as the youth academy continues I think that will see us through.

The team rearrangements are coming to an end. The scouts are as good as they ever were and we've picked up some fine replacement players. The final worry now is goalkeeper but I am hoping Bywater might make something of himself at last.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Man Utd (don't all boo at once! jealous bitches :p)

I'm actually more confident this season than I have been for a while. The departure of beckham has forced the team to improve the passing so much. I remember watching matches the last two seasons and thinking 'who the fucking hell is that supposed to be for' every five minutes in some matches. The new strikers remind me of Andy Cole :)( now we have two of the c*nts!). They pass the ball great and get into good positions it's just the 'final ball' which usually falls into one of two choices. 1) fucking awful pass that is headed clear. 2) Pointless shot from outside the area. We now have a winger who can pass people on both wings which I was begging for, for many seasons. Fletcher is looking good but I hope he improves rather more than the past youngsters have. The defence have looked better than we have for a while as well, hopefully we've timed it right and Wes gets better with the more matches he plays. I will be sorry to see but go, he was always a good player and I don't understand why neville got in before him. (ok granted neville was in that position for most of the youth/reserve teams). I'm not sure about saha, I'll be interested to see how he plays this weekend.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
Juventus are second in the table, ...

You know, I used to follow Italian Football and Juventus was my team, you make me sad I forgot all about it now :(

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
xane said:
You know, I used to follow Italian Football and Juventus was my team, you make me sad I forgot all about it now :(
I remember watching it on ch4 and being unable to watch a live match. I found it deathly boring. Might be something to do with the fact that I wasn't supporting anyone but I've seen spanish football and I like that. I used to like watching the highlights even if the 'goal of the month' was always populated by the same 'shot from outside the area into the top-corner' goals. It was funny, it got to the point where I found them sort of goals boring. :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Italian football is very skillful with excellent technnique but it bores me something chronic... Spanish football on the other hand is much better as like England the game is played at a higher pace with a much bigger emphasis on outscoring the opposition usually.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
mank said:
Italian football is very skillful with excellent technnique but it bores me something chronic... Spanish football on the other hand is much better as like England the game is played at a higher pace with a much bigger emphasis on outscoring the opposition usually.
I think spanish footie is the happy medium. English style is concentrated on action and 'final ball' rather than skill and technique. Italian is the opposite and spanish is the best of both worlds. (master of non. :D)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I love watching Spanish football, pity it's on at weird times! I do think the English leagues are by far the best but then maybe I'm biased.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
arsenal

new blood from the junior ranks coming up which is a great thing

with reyes now i'd like to see what changes will be made and where arsene will play him

and finally as for how we're doing..

great at the moment, having an amazing run in the league
i still think euro glory is beyond the team though

however i dont think it will last the whole season :x

mank!

Part of the furniture
Hard fought point against Blackpool yesterday and it could be said we might have deserved to win it... Either way, it leaves us in the running but with Wrexham and Hartlepool's games both postponed our position of sixth isn't a true reflection on our current situation, but I fully expect us to pick up three points against Rushden to keep us in the running.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Pretty badly it seems, although we did bloody well against United yesterday, we were probably a bit unlucky not to win. In the big picture we've not been very good the last month or so, but things are getting better by the looks of things. :)

(Saints fan)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
A good 1-0 win at the weekend has put us 5 points behind Milan level with Roma, who we play next Sunday. I can't bloody wait. Will be glorious to see Pavel Nedved layeth the smack down on Francesco Totti (for those who don't know Totti has been claiming he should have been European Player of the Year and not Pavel Nedved).

Oh and Serie A is the greatest league on the planet. Premiership teams can't defend (hence why the league is so wide open all the time) and one giant team doth not make a league, so the Spanish league is out for me too.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
We just bought Jermain Defoe for £7m + Bobby Z. We'll see if he can push us up the table a little. I still don't expect too much really this season, no more than 2nd place at the most.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Sunderland.

Sitting nicley in 4th at the minute which is a bit of a shock, i thought we'd struggle more than we have done this season, goals are still a bit of a struggle to come by but with Kevin Kyle who is better suited in pub fights than he is on a footy field then i suppose theres an excuse.

I'm a bit dissapointed in Jon Steads decision to move to Blackburn instead of us as he looked really impressive when Huddersfield came up here and played us off the park in the Carling Cup earlier this season.

Over all I think a playoff place is a fair position and if we can sign a decent goal scorer then maybe even 2nd place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom