How would you describe the RvR compared to DAoC?

Darkzler

Fledgling Freddie
Hello guys, I am fairly interested in the differences between Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot when it comes to the Realm versus Realm (RvR).

How would you describe the differences or perhaps the advantages/disadvantages in each of the specific games? I have tried the trial of Warhammer Online but since you are limited to rank 10 I don't think that I've seen enough of it to get a good idea of the game in general.

So, what do you think of Warhammer Online and the RvR in it?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
1 simpe sentence:
Daoc 3 realms and a wide system
War 2 realms and a tight system

IMO pretty much sums it up and people are free to comment ^^

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
There not actually much difference except duellists in WAR go to the quiet zones instead of sitting on the busiest bridge in the zergiest area yelling "DONT ADD FFSS!!!!!".

DAoC had no endgame, WAR does, but it sucks.

Both are zergy.

Both have room for group v group and 1v1.

Both are and were very badly balanced. Mythic cannot balance a pvp game, they truly suck at that.

PvE in WAR is pretty good despite it not being a pve game, but the higher level instances are buggy still. DAoC's pve grind sucked monkey nuts.

Both are full of elitist pricks, but it's the vocal minority.

The only real thing worth mentioning is that WAR has pvp at every level and a LOT of it and it's MASSIVE fun in T1-T3, DAoC's BG's were crap twink fests.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
1 simpe sentence:
Daoc 3 realms and a wide system
War 2 realms and a tight system

IMO pretty much sums it up and people are free to comment ^^

eek im agreeing with gahn, someone shoot me

also, i would add,

daoc -- years of tweak, mostly balanced
war -- still a bit iffy in places

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Hello guys, I am fairly interested in the differences between Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot when it comes to the Realm versus Realm (RvR).

How would you describe the differences or perhaps the advantages/disadvantages in each of the specific games? I have tried the trial of Warhammer Online but since you are limited to rank 10 I don't think that I've seen enough of it to get a good idea of the game in general.

So, what do you think of Warhammer Online and the RvR in it?

Lets see - I played DAoC in retail for what ... 3-3½ years on EU/US. I played War in retail for 3 months. That's what I think of RvR in Warhammer :m00:
Been following the changes they've made, and can't say I've been impressed enough to re-activate.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
In short. The execution was poor, there was no real effort put in and the developers didn't seem to know what they were doing most of the time.

But said like that old dear off the apprentice, in a really condescending way.

Zede

Part of the furniture
There not actually much difference except duellists in WAR go to the quiet zones instead of sitting on the busiest bridge in the zergiest area yelling "DONT ADD FFSS!!!!!".

DAoC had no endgame, WAR does, but it sucks.

Both are zergy.

Both have room for group v group and 1v1.

Both are and were very badly balanced. Mythic cannot balance a pvp game, they truly suck at that.

PvE in WAR is pretty good despite it not being a pve game, but the higher level instances are buggy still. DAoC's pve grind sucked monkey nuts.

Both are full of elitist pricks, but it's the vocal minority.

The only real thing worth mentioning is that WAR has pvp at every level and a LOT of it and it's MASSIVE fun in T1-T3, DAoC's BG's were crap twink fests.

what pile of monkey wank.

Daoc had NO endgame ? Exsqueeze me but what planet are you from again ?

you really are utterly cluless.

Do i really have to point out the obvious bullshit in your comments ?

lets just do one, "daoc pve grind"...wtf are you on about ? The only, and only problem I EVER had in 3.5 years of playing was waiting for Eternal Plant to spawn, and thats hardly grinding. Dear Mr cluless, shall i go on ?

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
Gotta love how one thread pops once a month now, yet its still got to turn into a no one cares will forget by tomorrow flame war.

I spent four & a half days with no sleep leveling at fins, a week farming for one drop in toa none stop killing so yea it was grind, 22 lvl50s took 5years, that many lvl40s in war would'nt even take a year would it!

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
what pile of monkey wank.

Daoc had NO endgame ? Exsqueeze me but what planet are you from again ?

you really are utterly cluless.

Do i really have to point out the obvious bullshit in your comments ?

lets just do one, "daoc pve grind"...wtf are you on about ? The only, and only problem I EVER had in 3.5 years of playing was waiting for Eternal Plant to spawn, and thats hardly grinding. Dear Mr cluless, shall i go on ?

What was DAoC's pvp endgame then? Short of relic ping-pong there really wasn't any actual aim to the pvp end game except to fight the enemy 1v1, 6v6 or zerg v zerg (or variations thereof), sure it was fun (great fun) but it was repetitive, you never really got anywhere and you really couldn't call that an end game, it was just the game. WAR has city sieges, thats more like endgame content as it grants access to something you cannot get in normal pvp combat and opens up access to the highest level equipment area, but they aren't much cop right now, poorly designed pve grinds at the moment. Relic keeps were just keeps with more guards and bigger walls where you could grab a bauble which would give you a few bonuses in rvr and give you forum bragging rights over your enemy until they took it back at 3am.

DAoC was a total pve grindfest, this is a stone cold fact:

Grind to 50, before they made it easier it took months, hours on end of grinding the same mob over and over, even now it's still a pointless grind but as you might not have played back when it was difficult to level, you might not have known this i guess.

Grind ML's, when ToA first came out that could involve up to 12 hours in ML3 for no real reason other than to get the ML3 abilities and progress to the higher ML abilities you class wanted for pvp.

Grind Artis, camping them for hours on end was great fun, it was a pointless time sink and therefore an unnecessary grind.

Grind Arti XP, wow, get your artis, then level them, again when ToA was released anyone try levelling things like GSV and some of the other crazy level requirement artis...total and pointless grind again. Yes, they fixed it, but it took a long time.

Grind Champ levels, 5 then another 5 for good measure.

Grind out cash for your template, unless your lucky enough to have friends who can help you you could end up spending hours crafting.

Grind, Grind, Grind. Sorry but that is the reality of DAoC, grind and time-sinks disguised as content.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
While I agree with many of your grind criticisms, Tallen, I'd point out this one...

Grind Artis, camping them for hours on end was great fun, it was a pointless time sink and therefore an unnecessary grind.

Clearly, you were on a roll and just stuck this in there hoping nobody would notice. You couldn't call Artis a grind. A pain in the ass, sure, but not strictly a grind.

Grind, Grind, Grind. Sorry but that is the reality of DAoC, grind and time-sinks disguised as content.

True. How would you say WAR's content isn't a grind, then?

Zede

Part of the furniture
What was DAoC's pvp endgame then? Short of relic ping-pong there really wasn't any actual aim to the pvp end game except to fight the enemy 1v1, 6v6 or zerg v zerg (or variations thereof), sure it was fun (great fun) but it was repetitive, you never really got anywhere and you really couldn't call that an end game, it was just the game. WAR has city sieges, thats more like endgame content as it grants access to something you cannot get in normal pvp combat and opens up access to the highest level equipment area, but they aren't much cop right now, poorly designed pve grinds at the moment. Relic keeps were just keeps with more guards and bigger walls where you could grab a bauble which would give you a few bonuses in rvr and give you forum bragging rights over your enemy until they took it back at 3am.

DAoC was a total pve grindfest, this is a stone cold fact:

Grind to 50, before they made it easier it took months, hours on end of grinding the same mob over and over, even now it's still a pointless grind but as you might not have played back when it was difficult to level, you might not have known this i guess.

Grind ML's, when ToA first came out that could involve up to 12 hours in ML3 for no real reason other than to get the ML3 abilities and progress to the higher ML abilities you class wanted for pvp.

Grind Arti XP, wow, get your artis, then level them, again when ToA was released anyone try levelling things like GSV and some of the other crazy level requirement artis...total and pointless grind again. Yes, they fixed it, but it took a long time.

Grind Champ levels, 5 then another 5 for good measure.

Grind out cash for your template, unless your lucky enough to have friends who can help you you could end up spending hours crafting.

Not only are you talking monkey spunk, your talking stale used monkey spunk, dribbling out of your arse ( infraction inc). Every thing, every thing you say is utterly, utterly wrong.

Oh just oneeeee thing. Daoc End Game.

****FACT***

DAOC HAS/HAD THE BEST END GAME OF ****any**** GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED - END OF ( & i got my first video game in 1976)

so I ask again, what fucking planet are you from ?

eksdee

FH is my second home
hello, it seems you both have differing opinions on a subject that can't really be put to any objective fact. it's probably better to agree to disagree than cross meat-swords over who has the better opinion 8)

as for war end-game, imo, it is not daoc but it is a lot better than people make out. war is totally what you make of it. on k8p we have a bit of a see-sawing 6v6 scene (for 1-2 months we had quite a few groups out every night, then recently not so much - it goes like this) and then the orvr itself can be great fun if you enjoy trying to bust zergs (i find it much more fun in war than i did in daoc tbh).

if you ONLY enjoy group v group - war isn't the game for you. if you enjoy zerg v zerg, war definitely is. if you enjoy group v group, but also like trying to beat the odds - taking down a warband (that's 24 ppl for those that don't play) with 6 people is an awesome rush - then i'd say you can definitely have fun in war but you really need a decent group to make the best of it if you don't want to zerg.

just my 2cents. if you haven't played war or haven't seen much of the rvr and are interested in the small group side of things - check out my movie (sig).

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Actually - I'd say DAoC was more suited for zerg vs zerg warfare then Warhammer proved to be.
Difference was that DAoC was large enough and classes dynamic enough to also support the other types of combat, whereas Warhammer is (was when I played at least) way too small, too static and too much of a fighting NPC guards type of game.
I've not seen them remove the restrictions on the numbers which can participate in fortress fights and they even had that stupid "winds of change" system suggestion up - just goes to show that Warhammer is fubar if thinking (which I did) it was about large scale combat and sieges. Heck - even the fixed siege platforms drove me insane in each siege I participated in.

Warhammers attempts at RvR was a huge step down from DAoC in my book. It was lackluster and basically took the bad things from DAoC and made it worse.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
WAR is much more of a grind that what DAoC was. At least, it feels like it is.
In DAoC you had shorter term goals for getting high rr. Every Realm level granted you an extra mastery point, meaning high rr's really did have something to look forward to.

DAoCs combat system was more tense I feel, but less complicated.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
No GCD vs GCD.. says it all really :( GCD belong in WoW imo, not in a PvPgame.

WAR for me at least was also somehow even more laggy in larger fights than DAoC, thats on a proper PC with good hardware.

Scenarios was a good idea but lag ruined it totally for me so I just stopped playing. The punting is also completely retarded, I take a mez, stun, anything that I can purge over a dwarf hitting me like a golfball that fly away 300m any day.

DAoC's RAsystem was abit flawed too but.. I kinda liked it anyway, I preferred the old version of it though, it gave the realms distinguished differences and spiced things up alot, you had to think of who you were fighting.

Three realms vs each other > two realms that have little choice but to fight each others, when fighting one group from one realm and the chaos that occurred when the third realm came in was actually a good thing, in my book anyway.

PQs in WAR was a nice idea but.. it becomes pretty damn dull quickly, especially since alot of them were empty already after a month after the game went live.

WAR for me was a dissapointment, DAoC kept me going for years and years.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
You never said Euro but Avalon hasn't died yet either....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Avalon would be a whole lot busier if GOA wanted subscriptions and allowed people to transfer or just made 1 super cluster (Most couldn't give a shit about the language) but they have already said they don't care.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
WAR's RvR is usually very accessible for players wanting to take part. Just login and queue for a scenario, or check the map, join the right zone and find an open warband. With groups/warbands open by default it makes it so easy for people to quickly join up with other bunches of random players instead of standing at a warcamp yelling "Level 40 Zealot LFG!!!".

In general Open RvR isn't too bad, the battlefield objects and keeps can provide some level of excitement for two zergs to move around and battle against each other. The only things I really find annoying related to fortress and city capture (which I've mentioned in [thread=236349]this thread[/thread]).

However it feels like there's very little reward for gaining renown ranks, the higher ranks giving you a single mastery point is a bit mean. I know you can get slightly better armour - but there is absolutely no guarantee of getting anything. I'm sure the old DAoC realm abilities might be a bit too extreme as it was very difficult for low realm rank players, but the reward for being high realm rank seems more like you drop better loot (higher level tokens) for other players!

It's not perfect, but it's worth trying. Go get to level 40 and see it for yourself.

Vipr

One of Freddy's beloved
War is rvr for WOW players and not fun longterm.

DAOC was flawed but was fun longterm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom