How under populated is VS

E

envenom

topic says it all? im thinkin of buying another game to start on VS or deleting my NC and no its not to spy

P

[PS]Venom

Spying is kind of moot seeing as you can talk to enemy realms ingame.

VS is pretty underpopulated. Look at the figures on myplanetside, we're constantly losing on bases ect.

You wouldn't think we're the lowest empire population with the immense amount of people when attacking bases sometimes.

S

Scooba Da Bass

I think VS are kinda off putting due to our non obvious weapons. TR get the whole trillions of bullets in one target thing, NC get the bullets bigger than your head kinda thing, whereas VS get enegy weaps which whilst looking pretty aren't that great at killing.

S

SilverHood

Hehe, we had 4 continents underlock earlier, with more in the way
And we get 1% bonus to our exp

YAy!

And yes, we are under populated, having to rely on superior tactics to win.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by SilverHood
Hehe, we had 4 continents underlock earlier, with more in the way
And we get 1% bonus to our exp

YAy!

And yes, we are under populated, having to rely on superior tactics to win.

Nice going!

And yes, our tactics are superior to the NC and TR simple "zerg4tehwin!" :p

O

old.ivan

Ok listing pros of Vanu hi-tech weapons, which most seem to underestimate :

- Magrider : ability to use both MG + Cannon and strafe is immensly powerfull , even though theres lack of punch when compared to say Vanguard. [ no matter what people say, my opinion remains the same strafing + dual weapon use = great weapon ]

- Heavy weapons : now while many vanu actually complain about this weapon i personally think its more than decent and has more allround value, use 3-4 Heavy weapons indoors to clear stairs , you wont need anyone else... the AE effect makes up for anything.

- AV : 2 shots = dead infantry nuff said i think, have to crouch and lead the target yes, do not say weapon is shite.. instead learn to use it properly.

- MAX : jetpack and ability of AI max to switch to AP rounds, mobility , what else would you need ?

1) Do not try to farm more kills, help out the people who play with you, use your weapons correctly, thats what VR is for... yes call me a freak but i actually spent time learning to handle weapons.
2) do not think this is CS , where everyone is either with AK/M16 or sniper, you are Not equal.. therefore learn how to utilize your own weapons strengths and enemies weaknesses.
3) i am not a smartarse, im trying to help people understand how to better the game easily
4) If you do not feel comfortable with your nations weapons, use standard pool.

PS: /emote remids Silverhood of the 'mine' encounter.

P

[PS]Nova

Some very good points there.

This is why I drive a lightning instead of a magrider, because I just cannot drive the hovercraft vehicles.

As for guns, letting me loose with a gun on anything enemy is somewhat akin to letting a small child loose with a catapult on a Sherman, so it doesn't really matter what weaponry I use :p

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by [PS]Nova
Nice going!

And yes, our tactics are superior to the NC and TR simple "zerg4tehwin!" :p

Have to agree there, tactics [NC] is yet to come into the game, so far its everyone doing their own thing all over the place.

Ergo :

at some point i got sick and started shouting why the tanks wouldnt pound the door and reavers didnt cover the roof... it took us 1 hour instead of 15 minutes to take a tower. So easy, tank pound the door <side of stairs leading down to the tubes>, reaver +snipers take roof, infantry uses the door that leads upstairs... has some pie .. smokes some joints.. hacks the tower then moves down to kill the suppressed resistance.

E

envenom

hm il get another copy then i like a challenge

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by old.ivan
MAX : jetpack and ability of AI max to switch to AP rounds, mobility , what else would you need ?

Perhaps the ability to kill stuff indoors would be nice?

Outside I'll kill most other maxs in my av max, indoors and in places with limited mobility I get smashed up by people who spam weapons simply because my gun cannot put off the opposition the same as NC and TR weapons can. This kinda goes against the point of a max, which is frankly a big armoured wall designed to cover and push back the enemy. Also bear in mind that every important choke point is indoors; tower consoles and base CC rooms, and that the most space in one is twice the height of a max (towers and 'top floor' CC rooms). The VS max is now relagated to a more general out of base support role.

That coupled with the fact that everyone and their mother seems to carry the oh so overpowered rocklet weapon with it's 'skilly' repeatedly slam rounds into the area until stuff falls over.

However, congratulations on a massively patronising post.

Edit; the fact that I know at least 6 people who have defected to NC/TR from Vanu dropping pretty high characters out of frustration says more than any responses I could be bothered to type.

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass

The VS max is now relagated to a more general out of base support role.

That coupled with the fact that everyone and their mother seems to carry the oh so overpowered rocklet weapon with it's 'skilly' repeatedly slam rounds into the area until stuff falls over.

However, congratulations on a massively patronising post.

1) MAX are support class, wakey wakey, do not expect to go in Terminator style and just smash everything to bits.

2) Rocklet is powerfull indoors yes, but outdoors its utter shite tbh, and like i said before Every weapon is Designed to have pros and cons

3) Patronising ? to some extent perhaps, but mostly suggestive. If its a way to disagree with my point of view then fine, i would love to hear what you think.

PS: AV max indoors... Anti vehicle is the key phrase.. think about it

S

Scooba Da Bass

In response to your points;

1) Where did I say Terminator style? Making up things to support your arguement is never a good move. However, way to totally take my statement out of context, I guess you're new to this whole 'post, response style affair'? A Max has a large armour count for a reason; it's meant to soak up a lot of punishment, regardless of its actual functionality, be it ai, av, or aa. The most important place for this is as a barricade, outdoors this doesn't actually work that well due to the fact that virtually everything except the larger transports can go around with ease and you can stop them with a set of placed mines and/or boomers.

2) The rocklet is stupidly overpowered, in a 2 rocket and armour gone style way which leads to vast numbers of people running around slamming them randomly around. I fail to see how it is 'shite' outdoors unless you really can't aim with it, try crouching?

3) it's patronising because unlike you, WE have to use this stuff everytime we play. Amazingly enough I'm 100% sure that I have a better grasp of what it's like to play VS than you, both from playing VS for all of the beta, and from playing VS since purchase. Your attempts to come up with plus points fail because they aren't actually true with the exception of the lasher which is imo the only decent empire specific weapon the VS get. As for the idea that the AV is powerful because it can kill a foot soldier in 2 shots I'd direct you to this;

Anti vehicle is the key phrase.. think about it

Do please make up your mind, are AV strictly for vehicles or not? What a conundrum!

PS; an Av max is the max killer, if an enemy max is holed up indoors do you ignore it and let it slaughter your team shouting OMGS IT'S NOT MY JOB TO GO INDOORS I ONLY KILL VEHICLES, or go indoors? If you want to try and refute my points at least have a clue about how other classes are played.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Bucket of slugs > Scooba

Geez... lighten up, kid. It's a game.

And Ivan is a nice guy, trying to be helpful. So how about you keep the sarcasm and lost boys attitude to arguments with your parents?

S

Scooba Da Bass

I appreciate he's trying to be helpful, but there's other ways of going about it instead of implying that anyone on VS doesn't have a clue about our own empires specifics.

Anyway ignoring the hijack, a quick look at the kill tables is pretty damning;

Top ranked TR; 1815
Top ranked NC; 2129
Top ranked VS; 1475

Now that either suggests that no one can play for shit on VS, that could be true, but averages would suggest that the decent players will be pretty much spread out, this is supported by a look at the XP counts which apart from a pair of rather odd counts from 'Revenge' and 'Slidey' (Especially this guy) are pretty much even across the board. The alternative is that the VS weapons just aren't as effective as the other two empires both of which are powerful in their own way. If I could be really bothered I'd have a look at MAX kill counts across the empires, but I'll save that for a REALLY boring day at work.

P

[PS]Nova

LOL I know what you mean, trying to dig stats out is a pain :p

But yeah, I agree with you. I admit freely I'm not an experienced fps-er, and the problems I have are immense. About the only thing I've managed to actually get along with has been a Lightning, and I have a MAX char for a bit of firepower when I get bored. But with my MAX I die stupidly quickly, now I'm sure a lot of this is due to my inexperience, but imo they are the least powerful of all the maxes.

I'll shut up now before I sound too much more like a complete n00b :)

O

old.ivan

In response to your points;

1) Where did I say Terminator style? Making up things to support your arguement is never a good move. However, way to totally take my statement out of context, I guess you're new to this whole 'post, response style affair'? A Max has a large armour count for a reason; it's meant to soak up a lot of punishment, regardless of its actual functionality, be it ai, av, or aa. The most important place for this is as a barricade, outdoors this doesn't actually work that well due to the fact that virtually everything except the larger transports can go around with ease and you can stop them with a set of placed mines and/or boomers.

edit : Outside I'll kill most other maxs in my av max, indoors and in places with limited mobility I get smashed up by people who spam weapons simply because my gun cannot put off the opposition the same as NC and TR weapons can. This kinda goes against the point of a max, which is frankly a big armoured wall designed to cover and push back the enemy.

For a person playing since beta you of all people should know that max works best when it has space, infantry can hide round corners and curves etc, and your Big 650 armour goes down in 2 decimator shots, not too much of a barricade to me. I didnt make that comment up, but you failed to see what exactly i meant in your attempty to simply flame me.

2) The rocklet is stupidly overpowered, in a 2 rocket and armour gone style way which leads to vast numbers of people running around slamming them randomly around. I fail to see how it is 'shite' outdoors unless you really can't aim with it, try crouching?
edit: i have used rocklet for 8 brs i know what im talking about, at medium range its useless. It takes 6 shots at infantry legs to kill him/her, to take max down it requires 12 rounds.

3) it's patronising because unlike you, WE have to use this stuff everytime we play. Amazingly enough I'm 100% sure that I have a better grasp of what it's like to play VS than you, both from playing VS for all of the beta, and from playing VS since purchase. Your attempts to come up with plus points fail because they aren't actually true with the exception of the lasher which is imo the only decent empire specific weapon the VS get. As for the idea that the AV is powerful because it can kill a foot soldier in 2 shots I'd direct you to this;

What does patronising have to do with you Having to use them everyday ?

Do please make up your mind, are AV strictly for vehicles or not? What a conundrum!

read the post please .... Anti Vehicle .. where are the vihecles usually seen ? outdoors.

PS; an Av max is the max killer, if an enemy max is holed up indoors do you ignore it and let it slaughter your team shouting OMGS IT'S NOT MY JOB TO GO INDOORS I ONLY KILL VEHICLES, or go indoors? If you want to try and refute my points at least have a clue about how other classes are played.

hmmmm you seem to know alot about maxs then, if i were to tell you that AI max with AP rounds can take down enemy maxs faster ? why ? AI max wont have to reload unlike AV. Go to VR and test it out if you like.. oh hold on but im sure you know this already as you have been playing Vanu for sooo long

And sicko is right im trying to be helpfull, and you start the flame, instead of making informative response you tend to pick on the person posting, chop chop.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Now gifv him two " 'urrah's" and a burst from the AK. ;)

S

Scooba Da Bass

My online gaming has been pretty much limited to fps, and as it stands the balance feels wrong. Yes there are situations in which VS do well, but they don't seem to be the ones that actually matter. That makes me pretty sad as you can't really plan tactically beyond get as many people there as possible.

*shrug* maybe some of the VS weaps will receive a tune up, or the other races a tune down, either way I fell something needs to be done before it turns into a 2 way contest.

O

old.ivan

Sometimes i even think .. why do i bother making Informative posts/replies where i can just go about nice and easy posting crappy comments on peoples posting style, seems rather aggro to me.

O

old.ivan

My online gaming has been pretty much limited to fps, and as it stands the balance feels wrong. Yes there are situations in which VS do well, but they don't seem to be the ones that actually matter. That makes me pretty sad as you can't really plan tactically beyond get as many people there as possible.

*shrug* maybe some of the VS weaps will receive a tune up, or the other races a tune down, either way I fell something needs to be done before it turns into a 2 way contest.

There seems to be many US players who tend to think the same, if not give better damage output.. maybe increase the measly clip capacity on Vanu AV Maxs and lower jumping altitude a tad.
Maybe after a month or two some tactics will ,hopefully, emerge. So far zerging seems to do the job pretty much. And well, as in all FPS , people are spam hungry, so instead of supporting the fellow next to him they try to farm more kills.

You seem to be doing rather well on one continent quite consistently - Hossin, NC only manages to get it back after most Vanu have gone to sleep/elsewhere tbh.

F

Faeldawn

Sure, VS have a smaller population most of the time, but tonite they kicked our NC asses for several hours on Hossin.

We got the upper hand eventually, but it took a damned long and hard fight.

Oh, and it was TheVanuJesus 3, me 0 :(

S

Scooba Da Bass

Firstly I'll apologise for jumping on you simply because I've had a shitty night, yes you were being helpful, it just irked me.

hmmmm you seem to know alot about maxs then, if i were to tell you that AI max with AP rounds can take down enemy maxs faster ? why ? AI max wont have to reload unlike AV. Go to VR and test it out if you like.. oh hold on but im sure you know this already as you have been playing Vanu for sooo long

This simply isn't true. Start up a VS character on another server and try our MAXs out. AI in ap mode takes at least 14 seconds and two reloads to take out a max (that's with my right click as reload max setup, ymmv). AV takes 7 seconds with a single reload or 14 direct hits (again ymmv depending on how fast you reload and get back on the trigger)

I don't think increasing the clip size on the AV max will sort it, simply because as it stands killing a max isn't that hard, however increased damage could well make the max at least slightly useful and result in less of the gymnastic style displays currently being used to avoid dying incredibly quickly.

Here's a picture to make the thread fluffy again.

kitty.jpg

O

old.ivan

I recon the problem is in MAXs resistance to rockets, maybe get that down to acceptable levels, after all max armour has a spawn timer. Increase MAX resistance to explosives , bar landmines, maybe shotgun shells as well, ive seen people take on maxs with a jackie. AI max kills me before i manage to get 2nd decimator shot off usually, AV.... depends who jumps who, if you know what i mean.

As for the clip, well, i just dont think 8 shots cut it tbh.

PS: perhaps my VR test were wrong, but i tried it for 5 minutes on about 10 maxs, they went down in under one clip.. but then i couldnt tell if they have been damaged already before me. <edit: just redone testing, 2+ clips for AI max with AP, 15-16 shots AV, but still unsure which model <quasar / comet > could be more efficient allround, seems theres no compromise>

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by old.ivan
I recon the problem is in MAXs resistance to rockets, maybe get that down to acceptable levels, after all max armour has a spawn timer. Increase MAX resistance to explosives , bar landmines, maybe shotgun shells as well, ive seen people take on maxs with a jackie. AI max kills me before i manage to get 2nd decimator shot off usually, AV.... depends who jumps who, if you know what i mean.

As for the clip, well, i just dont think 8 shots cut it tbh.

PS: perhaps my VR test were wrong, but i tried it for 5 minutes on about 10 maxs, they went down in under one clip.. but then i couldnt tell if they have been damaged already before me. <edit: just redone testing, 2+ clips for AI max with AP, 15-16 shots AV, but still unsure which model <quasar / comet > could be more efficient allround, seems theres no compromise>

Max's resistence to rockets.....ask someone else who uses a decimator about that, 2 hits = dead max (1 shot takes 600armour or so im told). Lot of players i have talked to use decimator indoors so the max cant manouver and phoenix outdoors :)

Bear in mind that a MAX has one weapon, thats all it can do, cant change weapons, or use any fancy gadgets. It is a killing machine pure and simple.

As a dedicated Jackhammer user (a 4 cert weapon, and our factions main infantry weapon) i can tell you it takes good strafing skills to take down a max with a jackhammer, usually more than a full clip (16 AP shells) is needed at close range.....RF vs max armour at close range....advantage Mr. Max.

To kill a max with decimator, fire once, hide, strafe out and fire again, crouching in his cone of fire while reloading is death. Not easy to do i admit, but very satisfying when you pull it off unscathed :)

O

old.Dillinja

Lol I didn't even realise you could speak to enemy realms in-game. I'm going to be bugging you VS pimps all the time now. :D

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
Lol I didn't even realise you could speak to enemy realms in-game. I'm going to be bugging you VS pimps all the time now. :D

I get enemy infilis pm'ing me telling me they are watching me quite often when i do ANT runs.......scary stuff :)

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Faeldawn
I get enemy infilis pm'ing me telling me they are watching me quite often when i do ANT runs.......scary stuff :)

lol yeah.

Although I've gotten lucky and not gotten messaged like that. The only times I've really gotten messaged by the other side was my wonderful moment with 30NC and me and someone messaged me saying "damn you're good" and then when I killed DMW I messaged him and we had a lot of fun hunting each other.. well OK I hunted him and then he killed me, but it was still fun!

F

flownalk

2 shots will kill a max from a decimator unless u have the shield inplant running.. shame the bugger runs out very very quickly tho

VS also had the lowest pops on the beta servers but then again thats why Ive gone with them in retail.. more for me mag to run down I say :D

X

Xtro

I wouldn't say VS are underpopulated at ALL!

Everytime I log on we are fighting VS who I have to say gave us a good kicking at Hossin last night, excellent work.

VS and NC seem to be pretty even (I'm talking about actual numbers squaring up in fights, not server pop). Its TR I don't see as much although they still get continent locks in.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Xtro
I wouldn't say VS are underpopulated at ALL!

Everytime I log on we are fighting VS who I have to say gave us a good kicking at Hossin last night, excellent work.

VS and NC seem to be pretty even (I'm talking about actual numbers squaring up in fights, not server pop). Its TR I don't see as much although they still get continent locks in.

tbh whenever we get into a fight, we're either zerging like hell (like we had about 5,000 VS that swarmed pretty much an entire continent the other day) and there's no-one to kill which is boring or there's no-one but us and the entire NC/terran armies, at which point we get splatted :)

OK so it's not quite that bad, we do get some very nice fights sometimes, just seems to be either them or us mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread