How many still have stripped players

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
Woohoo! Finally got the email saying they are ready to fix one of my two stripped accounts :D Pity its closed and I'm now addicted to another MMO :eek7:

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Wild said:
and dont even get me started on " well to get yr items back and play your toons again .. erm u gota still be paying us subs ! lol " <<< paying monthly subs for toons we cant play .. nice 1 GOA

Then don't pay.

It's not rocketscience you know.

Been explained about a gazillion times now that you can happily close your account and you'll get an email from GOA when they get to your message asking you to open your account whenever you feel like getting your items back.

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
This thread is plain amazing, I really hope Mythic are watching this and keep GOA well away from Warhammer.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Etzel said:
This thread is plain amazing, I really hope Mythic are watching this and keep GOA well away from Warhammer.

Are you sure ? you remember Mythic said "delete the prydwen database"

So you'd rather have a company that resets the servrer from scratch than what GoA have done ? ... urm.... ok

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
My other half had his character's stuff sorted yesterday - he reported it on 29th September.

Shows they are actively working on it but still seems to me to have been an utterly unacceptable (6 month+!) delay.

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Are you sure ? you remember Mythic said "delete the prydwen database"

So you'd rather have a company that resets the servrer from scratch than what GoA have done ? ... urm.... ok

Two questions.

Would this have even happened on a US server? And...
Would Mythic have taken 6 months to sort it?

I would guess at a) unlikely and b) if it had they would have a team of coders working on the backups to automate the process.

There is no way the americans would tolerate service like this, over here people just say 'oh it's GOA, sit back and wait'. Look at the situation, your items are just entries in a database, they have backups of the database because that's where they check your reports, all it needs is someone to create a custom merge/import routine to restore the data. The problem is unless GOA can prove the problem lies with Mythic they would have to pay for that code and i'm fairly sure it wont come cheap, therefore, go for the cheap option with manual intervention and long waits.

I'll repeat this, no way in hell the americans would let this go on this long.

Tilda

The problem was, that the backups were corrupted too. This would have happened the same if it had occured on the US servers as their backups would have been corrupted too.
Your right the Americans wouldnt have tolderated a 6 month wait.
However, they wouldnt have had to. Mythic would have wiped the server, offered a free month, faster xp, appologised lots, lost lots of players and wiped the corrupted server database.

I dont know you really know how merge/import whatevers work, and nor do I. But the Gm's have tools to allow them to search for what items people had, and import correct versions. However, that still dosn't negate the fact that they have to go through peoples RN's manually. When you get someone sending in a new RN every week just to see if it works faster, it takes a while.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Etzel said:
Two questions.

Would this have even happened on a US server? And...
Would Mythic have taken 6 months to sort it?

I would guess at a) unlikely and b) if it had they would have a team of coders working on the backups to automate the process.

a) Yes, it was database corruption this could have easily happend on the USA servers too

b) no they wouldnt have a team of coders fix it, Mythics repose was to delete the database, reset the server and start again.

So I'm happy GoA are running DAOC in europe rather than Mythic in that respect.

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
You're correct I dont know what tools GM's have but i'd bet the bank they aren't a patch on what Mythic HQ have. And I still say the response to GOA would have been totally different from the response to their own player base, it's all about balancing effort and reward and the reward for digging GOA out of the crap would have been miniscule.

This is of course all hypothetical apart from
lost lots of players
I for one will stand here and say I did not resub to Euro because I refused to pay money to find out if my account still had the items I parked it with. Add that it was cheaper to buy a full new US copy with 14 days free than it was to upgrade my existing account the move became easy.

Tilda

Etzel said:
You're correct I dont know what tools GM's have but i'd bet the bank they aren't a patch on what Mythic HQ have.

You are incorrect, sadly however I cant give examples because Xalin will cut my fingers off :(

Etzel said:
And I still say the response to GOA would have been totally different from the response to their own player base, it's all about balancing effort and reward and the reward for digging GOA out of the crap would have been miniscule.
So you'd have bothered resubscribing to the US when you knew your charachters, RP's items, levels and names had all been wiped? I'd rather just have to wait a while or remake an SC template than have to relevel from scratch, relevel crafters, regain realm ranks, master levels and everything else.
What people seem to ignore is that theres nothing stopping you from playing charachters who have lost some items. Sure they might not have the uber pwnest template ever if they're missing gov or something, but they're still playable and really its not that hard to get some rogs to get a semi-decent template going.

Etzel said:
This is of course all hypothetical apart from I for one will stand here and say I did not resub to Euro because I refused to pay money to find out if my account still had the items I parked it with. Add that it was cheaper to buy a full new US copy with 14 days free than it was to upgrade my existing account the move became easy.

Jolly good, so you threw away your names, RR's etc to play on the US with a bunch of (mosty) stupid americans, where the company running the servers would wipe the server rather than try to restore the database. Good for you, so just remind me why you are posting here not VN boards?

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Jolly good, so you threw away your names, RR's etc to play on the US with a bunch of (mosty) stupid americans, where the company running the servers would wipe the server rather than try to restore the database.
My names/RR still exist from what you say, and yes I did choose to restart on a new server which may or may not get wiped if such a problem occurred. Of course to date it has only happened on a Euro server so as I stated before any action is purely hypothetical.
Good for you, so just remind me why you are posting here not VN boards?
Responses like this just reinforce my choice, I met more than my fair share of stupid Europeans in the time I played, in fact to date while levelling i've met a lot of very nice people and been invited into a whole lot more random groups than the last time I was on Pryd. And I post/read here because the information is generally good, if your opinion of the average american is what you see on VN i'd suggest getting out in the world some more.

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH
Got my stuff back two days ago \o/ Reported on 24th Sept just for reference :D

Corran

Part of the furniture
Etzel said:
My names/RR still exist from what you say, and yes I did choose to restart on a new server which may or may not get wiped if such a problem occurred. .

It isnt "may ore may not get wiped", if this DID happen to a Mythic server it WOULD just be wiped. That is exactly what they advised GoA as the best course of action.

I know that I was happy they decided to not wipe the database when I had spent 3years+ on some the characters there and had collected many a rare thing for them.

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
I got restored today ya. got most artis back. and 35 p aswell :). never had that amount of money before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom