How have your team fared?

E

ECA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How have your team fared?

Originally posted by mank!

Regardless of that, you've got your own forum to discuss CS so and go and use it. Don't be childish and pretend it's a 'sport' purely to annoy people.

Over a million quid in prize money in tournies this year, its growing every year, it will get to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Yes your average joe cant play at that level but thats true of football, I suggest you go watch a demo of the finals of clikarena on de_train if you want to see what its all about.

M

mank!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How have your team fared?

Originally posted by ECA
Over a million quid in prize money in tournies this year, its growing every year, it will get to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Yes your average joe cant play at that level but thats true of football, I suggest you go watch a demo of the finals of clikarena on de_train if you want to see what its all about.

It'll never be taken seriously. Will people still be playing CS in a hundred years? No. Personally I find 'eSports' an absolute joke, and the majority of people who are 'professional gamers' seem to be arrogant twats. But that's my opinion, no doubt you're not very keen on footballers :rolleyes:

The fact that this topic is about football still remains, so take your CS elsewhere. Preferably your own forum, or if you feel it so neccesary to spout your CS elietist bollocks then create your own thread here.

E

ECA

How many other sports in their infancy were ridiculed?

I think theres room for 1-2 strategy games, 1-2 team games and 1-2 deathmatch based games.

atm its Warcraft 3, CS, and UT2k3/Q3.

I wouldnt say no to the $75k @ CPL for CS winners this summer.

M

mank!

Can I just point out that no matter what you say to make it look like a sport you won't change my opinion? I view computer games as fun or something to have a laugh playing with your mates. I generally dislike competitive games, which is usually why I'm never in a clan for very long and if I am I get bored of league matches.

eSports will not interest the public enough to get the coverage most sports do because primarily it is seen as geeky. The only people genuinely interested in it are serious gamers already.

E

ECA

Thats your opinion but I think that within 10 years Pro-gaming will be a viable career option.

Games already make more profit than the music or movie industry and they are very mainstream.

I think within 10 years there will be one, possible up to 5 pro teams in most countries and within 20-25 we will see leagues full of pro-teams.

You may disagree but I honestly believe thats the way things are heading. Currently theres only 1 pro Cs team in the world but there are many Starcraft players in Korea who live off the game, and indeed matches are televised.

I dont mind that your opinion is negative but I think history will prove me right :-]

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Neville Chamberlain, 1939

I dont mind that your opinion is negative but I think history will prove me right :-]

X

Xtro

"Your request has been blocked by MI5 Firewall"

M

mank!

Originally posted by Xtro
"Your request has been blocked by MI5 Firewall"

I knew it! Xtro is James Bond!

But James Bond isn't an Aged Punk at all, lies!

M

mank!

Originally posted by ECA
I think within 10 years there will be one, possible up to 5 pro teams in most countries and within 20-25 we will see leagues full of pro-teams.

You may disagree but I honestly believe thats the way things are heading. Currently theres only 1 pro Cs team in the world but there are many Starcraft players in Korea who live off the game, and indeed matches are televised.

That's the problem with games though - a game won't last off popularlity for long enough for it to become a lucrative market. It's a question of jumping from one game to another. It'd be like David Beckham deciding to pack in Football and play Rugby.

I don't think the market for eSports could ever be as lucrative as most sports such as football, rugby, golf and cricket.

H

hoggsboss

back to football...............i wont know until sunday how my team has fared thanks to the bunch of slack arses at chelsea deciding to go on a dismal run right at the end of the season.

hopefully we'll be in the champions league but with our lot you never know.

dont think liverpool have beaten us at the bridge since the premiership started so heres hoping that continues on sunday.

H

hoggsboss

back to football...............i wont know until sunday how my team has fared thanks to the bunch of slack arses at chelsea deciding to go on a dismal run right at the end of the season.

hopefully we'll be in the champions league but with our lot you never know although i dont think liverpool have beaten us at the bridge since the premiership started so heres hoping that continues on sunday.

K

Kempo

hey manky moo im gonna be in a flat next year and i should be getting adsl, so i will return and kick your arse at q2 sometime? :)

oh and eca is a complete fucking mong ignore him \o/ :)

W

Wij

We went up a division !!!1

(numerically speaking :()

M

mank!

Originally posted by Kempo
hey manky moo im gonna be in a flat next year and i should be getting adsl, so i will return and kick your arse at q2 sometime? :)

I've packed Q2 in mate, I'm playing a bit of Q3 CTFS and HL DOD now, got fed up of the only remaining ra2 players being whining cunts :)

However, I may install it again for nostalgic reasons :>

E

ECA

That's the problem with games though - a game won't last off popularlity for long enough for it to become a lucrative market. It's a question of jumping from one game to another. It'd be like David Beckham deciding to pack in Football and play Rugby.

Most games die because a new version comes out or players move to a different game.

CS have beat both of these already, as long as they keep revising the graphics engine once in a while it will always have a solid player base and can remain a competetive game.

M

mank!

Originally posted by ECA
CS have beat both of these already, as long as they keep revising the graphics engine once in a while it will always have a solid player base and can remain a competetive game.

I highly doubt that CS will be around in another five years time. HL is a fairly out dated engine already and I'd say it's got awhile left in it but it won't be as big as it is now in say five or ten years time. People move on to newer games all the time and unless the CS team constantly update it and make it better it's just going to grow out of the HL engine surely?

E

ECA

I highly doubt that CS will be around in another five years time. HL is a fairly out dated engine already and I'd say it's got awhile left in it but it won't be as big as it is now in say five or ten years time. People move on to newer games all the time and unless the CS team constantly update it and make it better it's just going to grow out of the HL engine surely?

Firstly CS:CZ is out soon which is basically an upgraded graphics engine.

Secondly the HL2 engine is out soon so they could port CS to that.

Plus CS is a Valve product now so its possible CS on HL2 engine is already in production? Valve tend to be fairly tight lipped, eg HL2 kept secret for 4 years +

S

Sir Frizz

ECA's points are moot.

I think it's unlikely gaming will go big in the pro area. There's simply no market watching people play a virtual game. It's Ckufing boring. It would be very hard to get people to pay to watch others playing games.

Just because gaming out sells other things like music and film, doesn't mean it has such a sufficient fan base that thousands would flock to watch you shoot someone in the head with a mouse.

E

ECA

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
ECA's points are moot.

I think it's unlikely gaming will go big in the pro area. There's simply no market watching people play a virtual game. It's Ckufing boring. It would be very hard to get people to pay to watch others playing games.

Just because gaming out sells other things like music and film, doesn't mean it has such a sufficient fan base that thousands would flock to watch you shoot someone in the head with a mouse.

30k people watched last CPL finals live on HLTV.

It will be more this year.

:-]

S

Sir Frizz

And what revenue did that generate? How are you going to pay these professionals?

M

mank!

Originally posted by ECA
30k people watched last CPL finals live on HLTV.

It will be more this year.

:-]

30k+ people go to watch Premiership football every week.

M

mank!

Originally posted by ECA
Firstly CS:CZ is out soon which is basically an upgraded graphics engine.

Secondly the HL2 engine is out soon so they could port CS to that.

Plus CS is a Valve product now so its possible CS on HL2 engine is already in production? Valve tend to be fairly tight lipped, eg HL2 kept secret for 4 years +

Which in essence means if the game engine is changed it's likely to change the game drastically which means that the game is 'new'.

H

hoggsboss

30k+ people go to watch Premiership football every week.

the bigger teams have that amount as season ticket holders........man utd as an example fill a 60k+ stadium week in week out

M

mank!

Originally posted by hoggsboss
the bigger teams have that amount as season ticket holders........man utd as an example fill a 60k+ stadium week in week out

Exactly. This is for one club out of well over 100 professional league clubs in England alone.

E

ECA

your comparing apples and pears, pro gaming tournaments have only really appeared in the last 3-4 years how long has football had? sports dont popup overnight you know.

E

ECA

Originally posted by Clowneh!
loads of people watch cock fighting too

Your mum and girlfriend watching you bang your cock against the wardrobe door doesnt count as *loads*.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Johnny Bravo
YIDO ?!?!?

If not you should be, cause you just described Tottenham :(

No, foreskin intact here, Millwall are my team and have been since I was little, huzzah for local teams with reputations!

Users who are viewing this thread