how do you like cata?

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
comparable to SI expansion? better? worse? the best changes compared to pre-cata? tell me tell me ;)

i have catacombs cd but i just changed /loc irl, been offline for a week and anxiously waiting to get online from home again :clap:

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
liked SI better. It interduced some vital things for the game (SC and alch) to opt. rvr, whereas Cata doesn't. It gives you nothing worth buying if you dont wanna play the new classes.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Huntingtons said:
liked SI better. It interduced some vital things for the game (SC and alch) to opt. rvr, whereas Cata doesn't. It gives you nothing worth buying if you dont wanna play the new classes.
Thats wrong imo, I am not really a pve player but yet I like the expansion and its worth every penny I paid for it even thought im not going to level one of the new classes. It is nice relax doing some mindless questing on an alt or clearing an instance :)

lurikeeen

Fledgling Freddie
ToA+NF+cata is the end of daoc, daoc SI was the best time in daoc with overpowered savage grps!

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
Huntingtons said:
SC and Alchemy

Shrouded Islands

A bit more on topic:
Catacombs is a very good expansion because it makes it easier to level, which is needed to bring new blood into the game. And it don't bring anything that you *have* to get like toa did, but it brings alot of pve fluff.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I think its great, the new skins are wonderful, the new adventures in the mines are great, the whole PvE system is great, and you get to kit yourself out in PvE only armour, negating using your precious artifacts / mp gear to whack mobs with, all good in my book.

The only complaint so far is the additional load on my poor old GF4, which reminds me of the days RRing and staggering about at 1fps nearing a keep.

Gungo

One of Freddy's beloved
Instance dungeons rock my world, so fun and relexing to play, knowing mobs arent goner pop on you, new classes seem fun upto yet, from what i have seen, and the new animation is great too, i love this expansion, nothing i have seen yet is too overpowered with uberness (unlike TOA and artis which suck imo).

all in all a great expansion

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
game didnt really need more xp areas, but whatever :eek:

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
I like it so far, Not explored too much yet, still getting my baby heretic up and running.

But gets a thumbs up so far anyways =)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
my personal opinion of cata is that it's nothing special realy. The only reason i bought it was for the new classes, other then that i never goto the cata zones and still run the toa client due to cata client being a graphical downgrade rather then an upgrade(imo).

Mazzaca

Fledgling Freddie
Cata is fun. It's not full of changes, but it's fun and has a couple neat new features.
7/10 rating :)

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Only thing i like is the Box.GFX r awful :( turned em off and back to toa gfx.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Its the most irrelivent expansion ever, makes no differance whatsoever to the game.

some extra pve zones which werent needed (upping exp in SI would of done just as much good).

A few items which are okish for filling in gaps in template, again nothing that couldn't of been added to existing zones, heck it would of been BETTER if they added it to the old zones, actually make them worth using again!

And the new looks, again, nothing essential, a normal patch would of done, a poor excuse to get more money, they should of waited 6 months and added something worthwhile (jewellery craft perhaps, solo BG, NF terrain change, or, and heres an off the wall thought, balance !).

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
I like it, lots of new stuff and features. I am puzzled over a couple of things though.

1) What is the deal with the wyvern tamer, who always says they are all busy, try later? At 4am! I assumed it would be like a horse route, but he never has any!

2) Instance dungeons are supposed to be for your level? I started a warden, and at level 6 went into the veil rift solo. I am surrounded by grey neutral mobs until I get about half way into that zone where a few greens appear. So I pop into the first instance dungeon there. I am now surrounded by purple aggressives? wtf? Have I missed something?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Helme said:
Thats wrong imo, I am not really a pve player but yet I like the expansion and its worth every penny I paid for it even thought im not going to level one of the new classes. It is nice relax doing some mindless questing on an alt or clearing an instance :)

im not saying Cata is crap, just saying that SI supported with vital parts (apparently it didn't as SC and Alch were interduced in 1.54 then ;>)

Sh33p

Fledgling Freddie
ToA fucked up DAoC, anyone that feels like playing one of the new chars has to level to 50, get sc'd, camp artis, level artis, then start doing MLs? All before being able to RvR well? lol

They were complete morons for adding huge amounts of PvE grind to what is primarily for most people a PvP game. If they wanted to fix that catacombs items would be comparable to ToA artis but that will never happen.

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
No, they didn't add more grind, unlike ToA, you don't have to do anything in Cat. They added more variety for how the PvP players do their "grind" and game PvE players more.

ToA is a grind. One so mind-boggleingly grinding that many never bother with it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
started on a fresh new account with catas and loving every minute of it on my theurg :)

Sh33p

Fledgling Freddie
Aonmeamna said:
No, they didn't add more grind, unlike ToA, you don't have to do anything in Cat. They added more variety for how the PvP players do their "grind" and game PvE players more.

ToA is a grind. One so mind-boggleingly grinding that many never bother with it.

Uh, I meant ToA.

The thing with Cata is ultimately it's pointless, getting to 50 was never the problem. This is especially humorous when you consider how many vast levelling areas that now exist in daoc that are completely fucking empty, mythic honestly are the most clueless dev team ever.

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
I like catacombs more then ToA and wish it came last year!

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Cata Instanced dungeons ftw - no waiting for a good camp spot to clear, explored Serfs Folly, Rise of The Spraggons and Brawlers Cavern so far - some nasty boss mobs - Brawlers Cavern for the best idea - similar to Krojers champions you get challenged to fight (I assume various mobs - died to first guy who has a huge chopper)

Auralite - nice PvE gear useful for fighting mobs, yet does not take anything from any of the crafters, unlike ToA which has produced items that crafters cannot compete with, tbh surely just a crafting update with new high end stuff made from unique drops would have been better than ToA, NF - well its ok - but again all the ToA stuff in RvR nowadays has messed up the balance of things - Healing classes with FoP - no need for Bard/Mincer etc...

Vamp has been a godsend for me, not having a BB has severly hurt my RvR and talking to afk BB's gets me no buffs, so Vamp needing no buffs has ment I have deleted severa High chars to clear 1 server for Vamp, lvl 32 so far and despite leveling from 1 - been a fun experience, no idea how to spec him, but tbh thats part of the fun every other char you start was gonna be the same old grind - cata opens up many more choice and some fresh exploring and so far has been enjoyable, BGs been fun aswell Vamp is buffed always and comparing it to any other char I can /level those buffs do make a difference so I am now on a lvl par with all those BB's. Excal/Hib seems alot friendlier than Alb - less ppl I guess so they have to make RvR groups - none of this Solo l33tn355 - early days yet though, Cata been gr8 - ToA is still for me the bug bear that changed the game for the worse. OF/NF NF seige engines I think are too strong - its all about smashing walls and doors down from range then rushing in, tower razing may help stop this but its getting rid of one problem by creating another. Much easier to defend a keep, and if the attackers have no tower to rest/grp in they will just leave - so back to a seige engine war again, no hand to hand fighting.

My ideal game is DAoC with SI/Cata/OF - Keep the new rams - through in some small seige stuff for killing guards etc. But no large seige stuff.

Why can't I repair a wall while its under attack, should be able to do some low level repairs :)

So all in all Cata - nice new add on, brings some extras to the game, but most importantly does not bring anything you 'Must Have' so those already 50 and RvRing can take it or leave it.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Ok been playing my shiney new heretic and exploring a bit with some of my other chars ... have to say now i'd give ti 10. Has given me my love of daoc back, ToA was a big mistake imo. It's fucked around with the ecconomy , made people's greed all the more eveident.

Cata's is kwel. as said some nice pve gear helps you lvl that much faster so no probs here =)

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
some extra pve zones which werent needed (upping exp in SI would of done just as much good).

xp-ing new alts in the same areas over and over again is boring - more PvE zones please :)

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
the wyvern trainer/griffin/dragon fly people you see in the starting town are all based around the noobie quests 1-5 which are there to basically get you into the game explain how to use a horse how to kill stuff how to use charges how to interact with npcs

During the quest you get given letters that instead of using a horse you have to fly across the classic zones so at level 5 you get to see more of the classic map without wondering for 30 mins through purp con agro. :)

AS for the expansion i think its a good one and peeps complaining at having to run in toa mode dont really understand that the catacombs engine is actually better than the toa engine and as long as you turn everything off in catacombs you will get better performance than toa. :)

Ok catacombs doesnt bring anything needed to the game but it doesnt bring anything thats UBAH REQUIRED OMG GOT TO GET. Its a good expansion it allows people to exp on their own form groups and stuff like that :)

As for the instance dungeons you cant just go in any and have it tailored automatically. The dungeons are graded by level the ones in the catacombs starting zones are generally for 15+ around about. The ones in muire/mythra/nisse are the lower level dungeons :)

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info on Wyverns and instancing.

I do like catas, it's quicker to level with the instance dungeons on tasks, and it's nice to see these new mini dungeons for all levels. A great addition. I love the taskmaster program. The coin seems better too, though not a patch on farming/salvage.

Bummer about the wyvern, I wanna go!

Gravediggah

Fledgling Freddie
Yes cata is soooooo great i love it, and i love even more how a company keep spitting out expand after expand without fixing ALOT of damn issue's that has been a pain in the a$$ sence ages back.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Huntingtons said:

Huntingtons so k00l he can't even get his patches right...

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Helme said:
its worth every penny I paid for it even thought im not going to level one of the new classes. It is nice relax doing some mindless questing on an alt or clearing an instance :)

Agree with this, + the graphics upgrade was needed. It may be a fluff expansion, but it's good fluff :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i think all in all its not that bad, graphics are nice (except the running and the now crap looking gov) new areas were fun to explore, though they dont look as nice as the toa zones did back then. The new insta dungeons are fantastic if you are exping an alt.
I think its good, a new expansion that upgrades the graphics, makes exping quicker and doesnt impact on rvr (not including the new classes ofc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom