How did YOU discover DAOC?

freakyphil

Fledgling Freddie
Just curious as to how people discovered DAOC.

Seeing as there seems to be absolutely NO advertising in the UK for the release of TOA (in fact when I went into GAME to preorder a copy of it they had never heard of it), I am curious as to how people discover the game. Also seeing as finding a copy of the game is currently nigh on impossible.

I was told about the game by a friend, and it took me about two months to find a copy of the Classic & Shrouded Isle bundle last July...

I know there are new people coming into the game. Just curious as to how they heard about it and how they ever managed to get a copy of the game!

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
I went to a game developers conference in germany. One of the keynote speeches was held by the founder of a company called Mythic and was of course about Dark Age of Camelot (a game I never heard about before). I only attented this speech because there was nothing else of interest scheduled at that time-slot. This "Making of a MMORPG with DAoC as example" was quite impressive and the fact that "you can have player vs. player action, but you don't have to" actually convinced me to try out my very first ever MMORPG. It's now six months (and 68 days /played) since that day and I still like it and can't wait for TOA :clap:

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
cus of Aussie ! I never heard from daoc and he showed me some screens :eek:

Haruh

Fledgling Freddie
some gaming site (think it was gamespy/fileplanet) back in the beta ages.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
A RL m8 showed it to me when we both were unemployed. she let me come over and play whenever she was cleaning her apartment or doin sumthin else at home for a week untill I finally bought it 1½ year ago! :D

Tilda

Read an article about in in PC Gamer and decided it sounded cool, so went out and brought it, i'm still here over 2 years later :eek:

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
My friend Fatbelly and his rl mates in np used to play it on lan at a place they rented, and thats where i saw it for the first time. I didnt think much of it at the time, wasnt much into computer games at the time. But then about 13 months ago he convinced me to try it and i was hooked :eek6: I will never forgive him for leading me into this addiction :flame: or well... ;)

Oh and this was back when you could still actually buy the game in stores. Havent seen alot of copies lately.

Gizmo

Fledgling Freddie
Well in the days of D2 (diablo 2) i was in a "clan" called The Amazon Basin, and we had a regular day that we lvl'd chars together, and suddently one of our grp members had troubles attending our sessions :( i found out he was betatesting a new game called Darkage of Camelot, and he told me it was very good, now i have never played that kind of game before(closest to it is D2) and he gave me a url where i could download the beta( got that when there was 1 month left of beta) Made my self a firewizard( multispecced her ofc ;) ) and had a blast playing her, got to stunning lvl 17 in that month and on the last day of beta i went to the epicbattle at AMG in emain ( lagfest ;) ). Most was purple to me, but i had a blast and was so hooked.

Went out the next day on got myself a copy of the game (in EBgames) got my 2nd copy 1 month later, im still enjoyin the game here 2 years after i first tried it.

Cant wait till TOA comes so much new to explore and lvl.

The POW of a addicted crafter and xphore.

Gizmo

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Was at a guild meet up of our old Diablo 2 guild. By that stage we were all pretty bored of D2 and looking for something else.
The brother of the person whose house we were staying at was playing the US version of DAOC. We all had a good look at it, were pretty impressed and decided that we should get some imported and move to daoc.
We had some reservation about it, being US time slots and all, but had no idea if it would ever be released in europe.
Early the next morning I was up first, and was browsing the net. Just out of sheer curiosity decided to check amazon.co.uk and see if there were any planned release dates for it.............there was, the following monday :)

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I read the Gamespot review 2 years ago. Sounded like a good game. Would never have bought it if I'd known how time-consuming it was though.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Used to play Everquest fanatically 14-16 hours a day needed to sort my life out and focus more on school so went cold turkey, found that i couldnt give it up so i gave my account to a guild mate as my warrior was one of the guilds MT's and was quite important within the guild. So started playing the MMoRPG that mates from my local gaming cafe played, just not so fanatically :)

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
2 RL mates of mine played and i saw them playing made a low level toon to see how it worked and got addicted very quickly.
bought my own copy and the wife has never forgiven them since :D

Nichneven

Fledgling Freddie
My then fiance had been playing Daoc on the euro servers from release... my first char was an air theurg on excal :) I got to level 12 then quit... then went back to the states. I visited him about 4 months later (yes... long distance relationships suck... I'm glad we're married now :)) and bought my own copy while I was there. Brought it back to the states with me and I've been playing ever since. Well, except for the fact that I took a break for 6 months :)

FoxeH

One of Freddy's beloved
Was in a CS clan around 2 years ago, a few of them stopped playing to play DAoC, they convinced me to start playing too :)

Easdown

Fledgling Freddie
i used to buy PC gamer every month and one month think it was jan' '02 edition there was a months demo of daoc, so i thought i'd try it, cant remember much of playing it now tbh, all i know is i made a kobold caster and was killing pigs outside some town, then i made a hero till the month ran out, and decided to buy the game, got it from www.play.com i Think

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
same here easdown :)

jan 02 was the edition right enuff, i got it free along with lineage, starting playing them both and got hooked onto lineage first coz it was a bit simpler for me, then i started playing daoc a few times with my fav char at the time, the voidey, and before i knew it i was hooked, became a GM and now have nearly 4 50s damn this game is like crack lol :D

My m8 intruduced me to Asherons Call 3yrs ago, played it for 8months, loved it too bits. Our alliance leader in AC left AC for DAoC so I was curiois and went out and bought in game few days after my birthday in Feburary..when it was just released. So I logged on the serer screen and looked for the server my Alliance leader played on.. I never knew they had europe version.. though I'm happy it is, i dont have to wake up at 4am to play anymore :D Been play DAoC for 2years now...lol but no level 50 :)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
An old m8 from the days playing Planetarion and then Counterstrike pointed me to an FTP and said "youll love it!".

2 years for me too, still here :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i got home one day and saw brother wandering around albland with his lowbie character trying to figure out how to release (silverhood was a n00b once too :D ), made my troll warrior abit before christmas in beta and been hooked ever since :p

Kelio

Fledgling Freddie
"downloaded the beta of some gimp ftp"

same here... to bad the beta closed before i could ding 50 with me smite cleric :S

1.5yrs later i got a job and could afford paying the monthly fee so here i am :D

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
It was actually a free version of Everquest on a computer games magazine that got me playing.
I'd decided to check out EQ on the games forum and wanted to know some details about the game.....everyone that answered just flamed the hell out of EQ (deja-vu there :p ),but one guy suggested that DaoC would be a good option especially since this was about to be released in Europe and it's a good idea to get into a game at the same level as everyone else.

The rest is history... :(

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Alot of people in my scandinavian EverQuest guild started playing the US version of DAoC when it came. Since we were on a pvp-server it really fit our playstyle so they said it was really neat. I decided to check it out and really liked it. When the european beta was announced I dragged some of my irl friends with me and started over again there. And here we are today :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I remember watching a rl mate play on the Us servers "tynian toothpick"
this was pre Eu release.and thinking..god! what dose he see in it..? Honestly how boring is this ? killing the same damn mobs over and over and over..and why didnt they go try to kill the main thingy-me-bob in the dungeon.? i mean what was the point of going there then ?..some time passed after that and about a year ago we started to discus it yet again, and since i was wining the arguement..he simply muttered..well try it for your self then come back and tell me it sucks
Now i wasent willing to go out and pay alot of cash for a game that imo at that time..was an utter waste of time..but things would have it that another rl mate "tamian", had an extra copy he never used, so i could borrow it for my test..so i went home installed it and we were off..played a day or two.and i was now finaly ready to go tell tynian how much this game sucked..But i just had to finish this one Quest..so i could ding! the rest is history...;) ps: Toa is already pre orderd

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Luona tricked me by calling me at 10 am talking about wizards, troll elves and such... gave me a install file (beta) and roughly 10 minutes later i was hooked...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Like Krait, I was playing EQ, originally from a freebie on a UK games mag. I'd briefly tried UO but didn't like it at all.

EQ seemed pretty good. Someone I met up with while playing EQ said they were going to try DAoC, which I'd heard about because of a preview in a games mag and also someone I knew was in the beta.

Loaded up DaoC 2 weeks after UK release and cancelled EQ the same day. Strangely, my first char was on Alb/Ex, and would have been a cleric, but after getting him to lvl5 I went to Mid/Pryd because someone I knew was there. Never looked back, despite nearly quitting when Roo was at lvl4 and bouncing head firmly off brick wall.

Though inactive currently, DAoC remains the game I've enjoyed playing more than any other :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom