How come nobody is talking about this?

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
World gets its first gay leader - Europe, World - The Independent

I thought that when this happens we'd all be saluting the rainbow flag or something but this has received very little attention. One explanation might be all the financial doom on tv these days but still that doesnt explain it imo.

So why isnt anyone talking about this? And how do you feel about it? Should we all vote a little more gay?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
So why isnt anyone talking about this?

Probably because people don´t give a f*ck (no pun intended) about the sexual preferences of other people as long as said other people are doing their goddamn job. Talking about hetero/gay is so 1995.

And how do you feel about it? Should we all vote a little more gay?

There´s nothing to "feel about" (again, no pun intended). It´s the persons private life and none of my business.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Probably because people don´t give a f*ck (no pun intended) about the sexual preferences of other people as long as said other people are doing their goddamn job. Talking about hetero/gay is so 1995.

There´s nothing to "feel about" (again, no pun intended). It´s the persons private life and none of my business.

Well it just gave you the opportunity to trash someone else and feel like a goddamn hero didnt it?!

Give me a fucking break. Lets not pretend that the world is so open minded that the first gay leader is not news. It is. And pointing that out doesnt make me a bigot. I think its good news, as long as she was elected because of her skills. (which is the more likely option given the situation in iceland) Saying that im somehow narrow-minded for thinking that its an issue is just hypocritical.

noblok

Part of the furniture
I see your point, but I agree with Thorwyn. While it's good to see that being gay doesn't mean you can't become the premier of Iceland, I don't really care. Pretty much like the Icelandic population, apparently:

"A lot of people didn't even know she was gay. When they learn about it people tend to shrug and say, 'Oh'."

That's pretty much my usual reaction when someone tells me he/she/someone else is gay. People's sexual preferences don't interest me that much and don't influence my attitude towards them.

On topic: I don't think we should vote more gay. I do however try to vote for women if there are any qualified women who's political view I agree with. The reason for this being that I don't think being gay really influences how you view the world, while I think your sex (gender) does.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
I'm flying the brown flag outside my house as we speak in honour of the occasion.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
No one's talking about it cos most people couldn't give a shit if they're gay, straight, or whatever.

Even without the current global economic crisis this would be a 3 minute slot on Radio 4 at best and half a column in the Times.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
carebearstare.jpg

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I never said you´re narrow minded or bigot. I also didn´t "trash you", nor do I feel like a hero, I just answered your questions. Apparently you´re having problems with that... but that´s your fault, not mine.

And yes, I strongly believe that this is nothing that´s worth mentioning, just like it´s completely irrelevant whether or not the person in question is a vegetarian, colour-blind, a Star-Wars geek or a regular FH poster.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
I dont give a crap about peoples sexual preferences either but the world - atleast outside Europe - does. So i think its fair to ask the question why nobody is talking about it now that it happened. The fact that you dont give a shit does not explain the lack of interest from those who do care.

Hopefully you understood my point now.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
Well it just gave you the opportunity to trash someone else and feel like a goddamn hero didnt it?!

Give me a fucking break. Lets not pretend that the world is so open minded that the first gay leader is not news. It is. And pointing that out doesnt make me a bigot. I think its good news, as long as she was elected because of her skills. (which is the more likely option given the situation in iceland) Saying that im somehow narrow-minded for thinking that its an issue is just hypocritical.

Woah think you took it a bit out of proportion mate. Pretty sure Thorwyn wasn't attacking you, just making a blunt point, throw in a few curses and can seem rude but wasn't meant like that :p

Ofcourse is relevant, first i've heard about it. Good for her, just as Thor pointed out basically should need to be discussed in future as doesn''t even enter the equation but still, bit of a break through for the first.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I dont give a crap about peoples sexual preferences either but the world - atleast outside Europe - does. So i think its fair to ask the question why nobody is talking about it now that it happened. The fact that you dont give a shit does not explain the lack of interest from those who do care.

Hopefully you understood my point now.

Yes, I understand your point and I understood it right from the start.

But in my point of view, these kinds of "news" just don´t belong in the news anymore and the fact that people don´t seem to care is a good indicator that the priorities have changed.

By the way.. the headline of this article "World gets its first gay leader" is nonsense. There are 193 countries in the world and it´s safe to assume that some of the leaders are homosexual.

Ironically, I read a news a couple of days ago, about the pope-incident. Very short summary: The vatican claimed, that the entire thing was initiated by a "well kown french journalist and lesbian". Made me chuckle.

I think the world - even the Yanks - have finally realised that gay people exist, that they´re normal people and that being gay is not a divine punishment. I think that´s a good start.

Now if we can convince them, that playing computergames doesn´t create killers...

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
But in my point of view, these kinds of "news" just don´t belong in the news anymore and the fact that people don´t seem to care is a good indicator that the priorities have changed.

If it belongs in the news or not is rather irrelevant tho. It does actually seem quite strange to me that this is the first i've heard about it.

How many times have you heard the words "first african american president" over the last 6 months. I'd say that the colour of someones skin has actually been less of an issue certainly in the UK for longer than their sexualty.
Yes obviously who rules America is probably more news worthy than Iceland, but i'd of expected to of at least heard something...

I don't care what Paris Hilton is up to either, or if a member of the Royal family said poo 3 years ago. That doesn't seem to make it any less news worthy tho does it, so the people don't care line doesn't seem like it should make a difference either.

Zede

Part of the furniture
ffs gorbo

its no big deal, really.

only you could submit this thread, only you.

still, get her & helen mirren together, i'd gladly watch. :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
it happend in europe, thats why it's none news...

now had it been in america...whooa boy!

you know it's true!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Another Gorbo troll thread, now with still 50% "doom" :lol:

Anyway, if you think it's news, it's your problem. Gay or not has nothing to do with it.

Politics ain't about who you f*ck and they f*cked little boys in rome, worked pretty well there.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Another Gorbo troll thread, now with still 50% "doom" :lol:

Anyway, if you think it's news, it's your problem. Gay or not has nothing to do with it.

Politics ain't about who you f*ck and they f*cked little boys in rome, worked pretty well there.

Ive explained why i consider it news even though for me personally sexual orientation means nothing. If you cant read, then im not going to bother having this conversation with you. If you can read but still want to pick a fight, then im not going to bother having this conversation with you either.

So i guess that means........... that im not going to have this conversation with you.

(ps. all the other oh so open minded little boyscouts: fucking hypocrites :m00:)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Open minded or not, may it be that people doesn't give a damn. There are more interesting things (or not, obviously?).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ive explained why i consider it news even though for me personally sexual orientation means nothing.

And i gave my opinion on the matter. I'm not saking to discuss it with you, you posted, i answered, leave it.

Or are you too much of an egomaniac to let people have differentiating opinions?

Zede

Part of the furniture
And i gave my opinion on the matter. I'm not saking to discuss it with you, you posted, i answered, leave it.

Or are you too much of an egomaniac to let people have differentiating opinions?

roflcopter.

nail on head !

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

The obvious question to that would be: Yes, its the internetz mate! But that would be too obvious..

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Off topic: Does anyone else think that Zede is the most useless poster on this forum?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Aslong as his gayness doesn't effect his job, who gives a damn? :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy

just for you:
Nobody cares if your puns were intended.

Aslong as his gayness doesn't effect his job, who gives a damn? :)
evidently you fail. its a she.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually i do't think Throwyns problem is the use of "no pun itended"(which by the way is't a judgement call, but a notification that you're not making a pun), but infact Thorwyn has a lack of puns altogether there :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom