how class is music ?

Faelinor

Fledgling Freddie
I feel like a bit of a rant !

how amazing is music ? who the fuck invented it ? whoever it was, i will shake his/her hand and be chuffed. atm im listening to some of my favourite tracks, with friends downstairs in the living room downstairs .. have come upstairs to my pc and my room, and listenened to some sweet music, and jesus christ does it make me feel a lot better, and fujcking sociable at that !

bow down to music y'all !

/pissed rant off,
Rasta.

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
how class is drugs?

how amazing is drugs? who decided to set alight that piece of plant and smoke it? whoever it was, i'll shake his hand and be chuffed. atm im smoking some weed to some of my favourite tracks, with friends downstairs in the opium lair downstairs .. have come upstairs to my "weed" and my room, and smoked to some sweet pr0n, and jesus christ does it make me feel a lot better, and fucking sociable at that!

bow down to drugs y'all!

... sorry for the spoof.. :D

A

Aoln

Agree with you both, especially in combination with one another.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I think the kudos for music goes to some caveman who thought banging two rocks together sounded good. Amazing how pop music is still trying to bang those two rocks together :p

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:
I think the kudos for music goes to some caveman who thought banging two rocks together sounded good. Amazing how pop music is still trying to bang those two rocks together :p
Nah, they now have those two rocks on computers.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:

It was actually the crunching sounds they heard when they split the skulls of other cavemen with their stone axes that they liked so much.
When they ran out of cavemen heads to split they found other ways to make noise they liked.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Faelinor said:

how amazing is music ? who the fuck invented it ? whoever it was, i will shake his/her hand and be chuffed. atm im listening to some of my favourite tracks, with friends downstairs in the living room downstairs .. have come upstairs to my pc and my room, and listenened to some sweet music, and jesus christ does it make me feel a lot better, and fujcking sociable at that !

/pissed rant off,
Rasta.

you drunk or something? and to be honest i dont see how "Rasta" is needed in thread, unless your talking about reggae? otherwise its just like me signing off with "Islam" or "Juda!" but not as cool. RastafarI isnt a fashion statement :( (which to me it seems you are using it as, if you arent the blessed).

and yeh music is absolutly amazing, best thing in the morning, best thing at night, whenever me hear it me feel alright. cant remember the song but the lyrics come to mind :p. and music is owed to poetry i suppose, or to language, even further back when someone was humming or clapping, music goes back as far as man i suppose, or even animals, like when the whales make those sounds or the monkeys in the trees are excited, thats all music aswell.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Ame said:
Darksword got owned?

not really.

IMO this should be down as racism, i mean RastafarI is a way of life, a religion in manys eyes. They don't condone violence, infact they live by many teachings in the new testement such as turn the other cheek etc. By putting that char name to a savage could/is seen as racist. Im pretty sure i wouldnt be allowed to have a necromancer named Jesus or Christ because it would be seen as racist/wrong, the same should go for Rasta.

ame got pwned by being ignorant?

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
not really.

IMO this should be down as racism, i mean RastafarI is a way of life, a religion in manys eyes. They don't condone violence, infact they live by many teachings in the new testement such as turn the other cheek etc. By putting that char name to a savage could/is seen as racist. Im pretty sure i wouldnt be allowed to have a necromancer named Jesus or Christ because it would be seen as racist/wrong, the same should go for Rasta.

Calling people racists is FOTM, if not FOTY.

Noli

Fledgling Freddie
Faelinor said:

/pissed rant off,
Rasta.

less weed megam8!!! xd pay ur acc damnit

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
not really.

If you dont want to sound completely ignorant, please stop using the word 'racist' or 'racism' out of context. Rasta is not a race of people it is a religious movement.

Its a character name in a MMORPG. Thats all, any offensive aspect is one you have decided upon yourself, not what he intended.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
If you dont want to sound completely ignorant, please stop using the word 'racist' or 'racism' out of context. Rasta is not a race of people it is a religious movement.

Its a character name in a MMORPG. Thats all, any offensive aspect is one you have decided upon yourself, not what he intended.

rep inc .

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Ballard said:

so if i said all christians are ***** or all muslims are suicide bombers that would not be seen as racist?

and as i pointed out im pretty sure it wouldnt be allowed for me to name my character Jesus or Moses etc (dont play DAoC atm so cant test) so why is Rasta allowed? (oh and before you say its not a name, Rasta is taken from the name of Ras Tafari Makonen, before being anointed Emperor Haile Selassie)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
by the way dont mean this to turn into a flame war etc, just think its highly disrespectful.

Darksword said:
not really.

rofl what a load of crap, you really think Rasta called his char that to make fun of the 'religion'? xDD

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Samaroon EatsCheese said:
rofl what a load of crap, you really think Rasta called his char that to make fun of the 'religion'? xDD

im not saying he did, im saying its disrespectful to the religion/lifestyle (btw i know many Rastas dont think of it as a religion but a way of life, but its hard to define it with western terms).

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
so if i said all christians are ***** or all muslims are suicide bombers that would not be seen as racist?

Samaroon EatsCheese said:

Exactly the point. You are the one who is suggesting it is offensive, when in fact I doubt very much that when he was naming it he decided 'hey i will make a char to take the piss out of rastafarians'.

Aside from that, your argument is fundamentally flawed;
-You compare calling your character 'christ' to saying christians are ***** . Clearly this is not a valid comparison for this thread and argument. There is no overt meaning in his call sig unless YOU interpret there to be or the context it is used in makes it obvious. There is no such basis for this in this case, there was no expressed hostility to rastas in his post.
- Rasta or rastafarian is equvailent to calling your self a christian or catholic, not jesus/allah
- Its a message board / game, dont take things so seriously.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Ballard said:
Exactly the point. You are the one who is suggesting it is offensive, when in fact I doubt very much that when he was naming it he decided 'hey i will make a char to take the piss out of rastafarians'.

Aside from that, your argument is fundamentally flawed;
1 - You compare calling your character 'christ' to saying christians are ***** . Clearly this is not a valid comparison for this thread and argument. There is no overt meaning in his call sig unless YOU interpret there to be or the context it is used in makes it obvious. There is no such basis for this in this case, there was no expressed hostility to rastas in his post.
2 - Rasta or rastafarian is equvailent to calling your self a christian or catholic, not jesus/allah
3 - Its a message board / game, dont take things so seriously.

ive numbered your points and answered them below.

1 - you said it wasnt racist it was about religion. i pointed out that if i said christ is a ****, muslims are terrorists etc it would be seen as racism. Its disrespectful to the religion and imo racist (and im sure in the eyes of many).

2 - Rastafarian = Ras TafarI Makonen. short thing - Rasta's believe that Emperor Haile Selassie (lord of lords, king of kings, conquering lion of the tribe of judah and elect of God to give him his full title) IS Jesus christ, God in manly form. Rasta IS tafari makonen. So its like calling your char Christ.

3 - im just pointing out its disrespectful, its double standards and it seems (atleast imo) unfair. on a side note - this is the MAJOR flaw with western society, all other religions are seen as inferior to christianity, you probably will critisize this point, and say its not true etc, but the point remains, and it will not be changed, christianity is viewed by western society as superior.

Littlle Git

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword, your constant reference to Western society is pissing me off, i think YOUR a racist

Ame

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not a racist, I just hate everyone equally. But I ESPECIALLY hate the yankees!

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
i pointed out that if i said christ is a ****, muslims are terrorists etc it would be seen as racism. Its disrespectful to the religion and imo racist (and im sure in the eyes of many).

Saying all muslims are terrorists, is in NO way the same as calling a char rastafarion. You couldn't have been much further off the mark.

noblok

Part of the furniture
Ok, this thread has gone off-topic anyway, so here's my opinion. First of all, I think that even on the (off-)topic subject the thread has derived a bit from the orginal off-topic into nitpicking about semantics :). I'll deal with these two first, in the hope to settle that matter and to focus on the main point again.

Nitpick1: http://www.rastafarian.net/ uses the terms "Rastafarian" and "Rasta" to describe someone who is a follower of that religion. These names may very well be derived from Ras TafarI Makonen, but christian is derived from Christ as well. Therefore naming your character Rastafarian would be compareable to calling it Christian or Jesuit.

Nitpick2: Racism would be discriminating people on basis of 'so-called races' (I think the term 'race' was considered to racist to be mentioned in the law, not entirely sure though). Calling al Christians **** or all Muslims suicide bombers wouldn't be 'racist', but it would be generalizing and discriminatory nonetheless.

Main point: As I said, above points are just nitpicking, a matter of semantics. I just hope that hereby we can get these over with and focus on the real discussion. I don't think it's offensive to use the name from a historic character as your in-game name, whether people worship that character or not. Then again, I'm not easily insulted, so this might be just me. I think the world would be a better place if people felt less easily insulted though :).

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Ballard said:

right - Ballard said that Racism is only to do with race. However attacking a religion is also seen as racism. So i was showing that if i said something about an a religion, like jews are retards or somethings, thats racism.

Tasslehoff said:
Saying all muslims are terrorists, is in NO way the same as calling a char rastafarion. You couldn't have been much further off the mark.

why cant people see that i was using that to explain that it IS racist.

it's disrespectful to the religion, very. I know quiet a few Rastafarians, heck i followed the teachings (and still very much do) for a year, and having spoke to a few over this issue, they also think it's disrespectful. It portrays RastafarI wrongly, and goes completely against the teachings of the religion (Which is largely based on christianity).

As i said before its double standards, its ok to do something to one religion but not to another etc.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
noblok said:
Ok, this thread has gone off-topic anyway, so here's my opinion. First of all, I think that even on the (off-)topic subject the thread has derived a bit from the orginal off-topic into nitpicking about semantics :). I'll deal with these two first, in the hope to settle that matter and to focus on the main point again.

Nitpick1: http://www.rastafarian.net/ uses the terms "Rastafarian" and "Rasta" to describe someone who is a follower of that religion. These names may very well be derived from Ras TafarI Makonen, but christian is derived from Christ as well. Therefore naming your character Rastafarian would be compareable to calling it Christian or Jesuit.

Nitpick2: Racism would be discriminating people on basis of 'so-called races' (I think the term 'race' was considered to racist to be mentioned in the law, not entirely sure though). Calling al Christians **** or all Muslims suicide bombers wouldn't be 'racist', but it would be generalizing and discriminatory nonetheless.

Main point: As I said, above points are just nitpicking, a matter of semantics. I just hope that hereby we can get these over with and focus on the real discussion. I don't think it's offensive to use the name from a historic character as your in-game name, whether people worship that character or not. Then again, I'm not easily insulted, so this might be just me. I think the world would be a better place if people felt less easily insulted though :).

as with your main point, im not easily insulted, but i DO feel that religion/race is something that should not be insulted or disrespected, and there is no way that it can be seen that this name is not disrespectful of Hail Selassie, unless you dont know about the religion.

oh and your not going to learn much about a religion by reading, but by talking to people about it, even more so with RastafarI which unfortunatly has such a small following and so little is known about by mainstream society.

noblok

Part of the furniture
It can very easily be seen as not disrespectful. It is only a name, if he had named his character "Rastasuckcock" it would've been a different matter, but he did not. He only used the name from a historic character. The fact that some people seem to be especially fond of this person should not matter this much.

You also try to make this appear as some Christian vs the rest thing, which it's not. I'm sure that many Christians couldn't care less if anyone decided to name a bunch of pixels "Christ". If they did, I'd tell them the same thing I'm telling you now.

You said yourself that football could be considered as a religion. Does that mean that anyone who calls his Half Ogre "Rooney" is an insensitive git? Surely not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom