Hosting

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Who do you use?

I use fasthosts at the moment, but they are... erm... eh!

So shall we make a list of all the good (and bad) ones!

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I don't like fasthosts, though it was kinda my fault.
I'd ordered on my mums creditcard and I assumed they would like contact me asking to renew a year later, they didn't and just charged the card, so she didn't know what it was and declined the payment.
So they immediatly deleted all my content on the server, which was very annoying as I didn't have backups for most :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Well, I've got experience of a few now.

34sp.com, BurtonHosting.com and NeatHosting are all pretty reasonable. There's nothing really special about them, just fairly standard PHP+MySQL hosting with enough storage for most personal sites. The annual fee is reasonable (£15, £40 and £60 respectively).

The only annoyance is that hosts of that variety tend to be playing-safe with their setups: So they were all using PHP4, rather than the more powerful version 5 and they're slow to update. The same is true for MySQL, where you'll tend to find version 4.0, even after 4.1 went stable and even now after they're pushing 5.0 as the main, stable version.

MySQL support in scripts will last for a long time, I suspect, but the absence of PHP5 might start to be a pain as time goes on.

My personal favourite is Dreamhost. Fatty, Walnaj and I share one of their standard accounts. The storage is insane (20Gig), the bandwidth limit is also insane (about 1Terabyte to use each month) and the cost is all of $120 a year (which we obviously split between the three of us).

The thing that I like particularly about them is the technologies they support: PHP5, MySQL5, unlimited domain hosting, shell access (SSH) and Proper subdomains (where you can have "something.ben-ward.co.uk" without having to have a "/something" directory cluttering up your main "ben-ward.co.uk" domain, which is something the CPanel does on cheaper hosts).

There is very occasional down-time (all cheaper hosts do, unfortunately), but in my experience they're quick fixing things and have a nice server-fault tracking system too.

So yeah, very highly recommended.

Oh, and just to fight any cynicism: I promise on my life that even if Dreamhost didn't have a generous referral system, I would have said exactly the same things. (If you want a discount on the first year, however, PM me and I can generate a referral code for you). They are honestly really good. I think they may even have a 90-day money-back guarantee as well.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
As above 34sp and Burton Hosting haven't been a letdown yet, 34sp servers seem really fast to and they're very cheap. I had a few problems recently when they updated MYSQL and PHP which made some of my sites stop working, but they sorted it out double fast with no trouble at all. Burton Hosting support is also very quick, I think their servers seem a bit slow sometimes, but then it is shared hosting with about 300 other sites on the same server.

I've been thinking about a dedicated server recently so I might check out others.

Fasthosts is by far the worst company I ever dealt with. Just don't go there for hosting in my opinion. UKReg (owned by Fasthosts) is okay for handling your doman names though.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've used Hosting-Unlimited before, not had problems with them. I'm about to entering the hosting market again myself as I lose my dedicated box in thdo in 10 days :(

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Never heard of them, has someone recommended them to you? Some of it feels a bit bogus when I look around the pages, but that might just be me. The fantastico page is about 2 years out of date.

Also the site's only been going 3 months I think.

Chilly

Balls of steel
just to let you know I run a teeny hosting operation on a mostly unused and reliable server, few ppl on fh have accounts with me. Drop me a PM for more info

[/blatant self pimping]

Clown

Part of the furniture
I hear Primefarm is pretty good these days.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Also been using hosting-unlimited.net for years... next to no downtime, fast download speeds (many good comments about them), good support and cheap as chips my package is as I got an ebay special hehe..

Not bad for a cheap host though :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Doesn't look all that cheap to me on their site, it's like 70 quid a year for their cheapest package.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Went with Webkore in the end :)

Seem impressive so far - had a query on Sunday night at 6:30 and got a reply very swiftly.

A gig of space etc for a fiver a month?

I'm happy with that!

:D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I just ponied up $110 for a years hosting on hostgator.
5gb disk, 75gb bandwidth, unlimited domains etc etc.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
I use dreamhost.com
If you use the code SAVFIFTY you can get $50 off your order :)

I got the $120/year package for $70 :) Great deal.

So far i've had one issue, that a domain I own was already in their system. (I guess someone else on dreamhost had previously owned it.) Though I sent an issue to tech support and it was fixed the same day. Cant say i've had any real problems.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Dreamhost give an $80 voucher when you're nearly done as well. Even when I paid $10 for the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom