Hong Kong

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He knows enough @Deebs to understand that he doesn't like the UK's offer of allowing outraged migrants to come to the UK with no wage caps and that's why he's "posing the question" on how great the "outrage" is - it's transparently his first step to belittle the situation, en route to saying stuff that would support migrants not coming to the UK.

Think of it this way: on what other subject has Job said he "doesn't know enough".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Australia's looking at extending something similar apparently.

(I'd link, but CBA switching to Chrome)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Global.

The US has applied sanctions overnight subject to Senate/tRump approval.

The point is that China has basically reneged on a 50year law (1985 Sino-British joint declaration) agreed between the UK and China over the rights of HK citizens.

I have zero sympathy for China at this point, or that cunt they call a president Winnie the Pooh.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Such a foreseeable tragedy, especially considering the British could have legally kept the island. Only the mainland New Territories were leased from China. Unfortunately, the UK Govt had an all or nothing policy to the situation.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Such a foreseeable tragedy, especially considering the British could have legally kept the island. Only the mainland New Territories were leased from China. Unfortunately, the UK Govt had an all or nothing policy to the situation.

The Island without the New Territories was unsustainable; the Chinese could just switch off the water supply at will.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The feasibility of keeping the island at the time was for all practical purposes zero.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It doesn't really surprise me at all. China was going to do this at some point. It can't stand having a free state that can do what it likes.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It doesn't really surprise me at all. China was going to do this at some point. It can't stand having a free state that can do what it likes.
Taiwan?

DaGaffer

Unlike HK, Taiwan actually has teeth. It will probably happen eventually, but it will be a proper shooting war, and China isn't quite ready for that yet. Two things first; once they are the largest global economy (by some measures they already are), and then if they can successfully kick everyone out of the South China Sea, then Taiwan is doomed.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Unlike HK, Taiwan actually has teeth. It will probably happen eventually, but it will be a proper shooting war, and China isn't quite ready for that yet. Two things first; once they are the largest global economy (by some measures they already are), and then if they can successfully kick everyone out of the South China Sea, then Taiwan is doomed.

Indeed and Australia is looking to spend a lot more on its defence budget. Unfortunately sanctions against China won't really hurt considering most of the world relies on it for something.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Indeed and Australia is looking to spend a lot more on its defence budget. Unfortunately sanctions against China won't really hurt considering most of the world relies on it for something.
Take the hit globally. Ban imports.

Capitalism needs complete and total reform if mankind is going to survive. Perhaps that should start by neutering an authoritarian state's economy by stopping the imports of cheap, low quality, disposable goods made under slave labour conditions?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Take the hit globally. Ban imports.

Capitalism needs complete and total reform if mankind is going to survive. Perhaps that should start by neutering an authoritarian state's economy by stopping the imports of cheap, low quality, disposable goods made under slave labour conditions?

Most countries will not be able to afford to do that though. What about the population who can only afford the cheaper things in life which are mass made in China? The CoronaVirus pandemic showed just how much of the world is reliant on the sweatshop countries to the East.

It has to stop but needs to be a global and concerted effort if it is to be achieved.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Interestingly we work with a lot of Global Manufacturers at work, and China is not the cheapest place to make things any more by a long shot. Many are looking at Eastern Europe as a way to cut costs and get away from the CCP snooping on everything, and the Great Firewall.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Most countries will not be able to afford to do that though. What about the population who can only afford the cheaper things in life which are mass made in China?
Don't let your countries buy cheap disposable shit of all kinds and rebalance capitalism to provide what we need, as opposed to the countless fripperies that we transiently want.

If capitalism can't provide for eveyone's *needs* cost-effectively we may as well let China win.

On a wider note - part of the reason I think we're fucked is there is zero acceptance that lifestyle changes are part of what's required. We cannot continue to consume shit. And, frankly, shit and tat is almost all we consume in the west.

We need to pivot to a sustainable consumptive model that allows us to lead rich and fulfilling lives with a global economic model that doesn't require us to act like fucking magpies - needing us to buy whatever vacuous but shiny item we temporarily desire.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
China is investing heavily in Africa as its next cheap workhouse, have you seen the infrastructure they are putting in, so Africans become 'slaves' again...but in reality its the foot in the door for real prosperity.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think it is the notion that we need to stick with the agreement after they've clearly flouted it that is another sign of the Chinese governments true colours.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yes with Hong Kong being eroded it's quite likely Taiwan will follow

Taiwan won't go quietly though, it won't be another Hong Kong with bottles being thrown, it'll be full on bloodshed with guns, knives etc.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

China can't do fuck all. The moment they try the international community will come down on their economy like a ton of bricks.

All China gives a fuck about is money, it's not exactly hard to hit China where it hurts.

" Earlier on Thursday, China’s ambassador to the UK, Liu Xiaoming, also said any move to grant residency to BNO holders would be a violation of agreements between the two countries."

Also, that part is fucking hilarious. Fucking hypocrites, they've literally just violated arguably the most important part of why Hong Kong was given up and they have the audacity to say that?

The Chinese are like fucking children they are.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Taiwan isn’t Britain’s to give away. Totally different situation. The Republic of China considers the People’s Republic to be the illegitimate state.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Taiwan isn’t Britain’s to give away. Totally different situation. The Republic of China considers the People’s Republic to be the illegitimate state.

It's true but other nations recognize Taiwan as being separate and as such won't stand by and watch it get bulldozed.

DaGaffer

Taiwan won't go quietly though, it won't be another Hong Kong with bottles being thrown, it'll be full on bloodshed with guns, knives etc.

Taiwan has a bigger army and air force than the UK, if not as capable (and 1.5 million reservists), and they've made the Formosa Strait a giant minefield. The PLA would undoubtedly overwhelm them in the end, but it would be extremely bloody.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Taiwan has a bigger army and air force than the UK, if not as capable (and 1.5 million reservists), and they've made the Formosa Strait a giant minefield. The PLA would undoubtedly overwhelm them in the end, but it would be extremely bloody.
We're such a fucking dumb animal :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom