Home Network

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hiya Guys

Long time and all that. I have just bought a house and I am hoping to move in soon so a question or two about a home network if I may?

Firstly I am hoping to chuck all my albums onto a PC and then some how be able to play my tunes where I would like to in the house. Now I know there is something like the Roku sondbridge thingy but is there something and somehow I can get it to go via my TV?

Secondly, if this works with music, going via the TV thing, can I do it with DVD's? I.e, rip all my DVD's to my PC and then select them via the TV to watch in any room on my network?

Is this at all possible? If so whats needed?

I am gooa replaster so I would like to hardwire these whilst the house is in some sort of a shell state.

Thanks for the help guys :)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I am doing something similar with the use of an xbox360,im not sure about dvds and stuff,but it does work well (and without wires) for mp3s and non hi def tv that i have recorded onto pc or live tv.

It will do hi def tv but that will need the use of a wire it seems (but i dont need to worry about that bit yet).

Yaka

Part of the furniture
wots your budget?

there are a few ways to go about this, best would prolyl be mythtv or media portal, running off a itx based pc with your tv and music files either on your main rig or a NAS

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
dedicated harwdware solution might be the way to go, I use a netgear wireless mp3 player to stream my music, the tech is moving along a lot at the moment, currently netgear have just bought out a 1080i hd streaming device which looks pretty swanky, there are lots of others on the market, apple tv, slingbox, etc. Dunno much about the others but i have no complaints about the basic netgear i have.

If i was doing a house network from scratch though i'd definately do it wired and run a dedicated server and stream rather than a media pc in the living room, although that's just my preference.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers for the replies guys.

As the house is currently a building site I am looking to have it hard wired rather than wirless.

Yaka, after looking at the mediaportal thingy, it certainly looks like I fancy that sort of a thing.

NOW, my main question is, how do I connect a TV to a network :S

Thanks agian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom