Home network help

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Need a little help chaps. I've recently moved into a new, modern flat, which has a rather wizzy looking Home ethernet network throughout. Unfortunately, what it doesn't have is any documentation. There's a hub/switch thingy in the hall cupboard that connects to BT and also to stuff like the security alarm and the communal satellite if I wish to use it. Then in every room there are multiple numbered ethernet wall sockets (and sat and aerial sockets). Very nice. Now, I've got my broadband and my phone working, but I'm pretty sure I've done it the "wrong" way. I have a BT homehub (which I brought from my last place) modem/router, which I currently have connected via one of the ethernet slots in the living room (with an adapter and ADSL filter in that), and my PC is connected to the homehub directly. However, my laptop and PS3 are currently connected wirelessly, which isn't exactly making the most of the system, and more importantly, I'm getting a BT Vision box next week which can't operate from the homehub wirelessly. Now I could just move the homehub behind the TV and operate my PC wirelessly instead, but I'd like to get the network "right". I think the network should look like the diagram below, but I'm a dunce at this stuff, so any advice would be appreciated.
Current setup:
2019549553_f4e273c7e0.jpg

How I think it should be:
2020348836_7625663f9e.jpg

NB.The thick connection lines are Cat-5 and the thin ones are standard telephone cables.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Something doesn't look right, I suspect the "hub" you have built-in is an ordinary telephone network hub, rather than an ethernet hub, you have a phone cable coming off the wall socket in one diagram and an ethernet cable in the next. The built-in network is going to be one or the other isn't it ?

You need to be careful, the telephone connectors can either be the (normally) white standard flattish BT style, or those used by modems and a lot of wireless phones, normally clear plastic, which is slightly smaller than the ethernet (RJ45) style, often people stick them in ethernet sockets and wonder why they don't work.

DaGaffer

No, it's both. There aren't actually any normal phone sockets in the flat, other than the BT one in the cupboard next to the hub. All the sockets say "CAT 5E" on them:
2022567650_24e3f9d6ba.jpg

The phones are connected to a couple of these CAT 5 sockets via adaptors called "VS-BM Secondary".

The hub itself has sections marked "voicehost" and "data outlets" as well as a bunch of fibre connections for CCTV, the Satellite dish and alarm etc.
2022631284_7efb565706.jpg

What I can't see in there is any kind of router, and I'm a bit reluctant to start removing panels and poking around (I have a very poor track record with this kind of thing :)).

G

ok, deep breath..............

it looks like the voice host outputs on the top of that box just goto the ethernet plates, 1,2,7,12 which must be in different rooms.

what i think you need is an rj45 to rj11 adaptor

TUK RJ11 to RJ45 Line Cord - Rocom

that goes from one of the top VOICE HOST ports into your BT Router (ADSL IN)

then you can use the ethernet outputs from your BT Router to go into the appropriate DATA OUTLETS for each room.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Go to reception/concierge, get managing agents details, request copy of manual, read? :p

DaGaffer

Go to reception/concierge, get managing agents details, request copy of manual, read? :p

You'd think wouldn't you? There doesn't seem to be any documentation anywhere.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You'd think wouldn't you? There doesn't seem to be any documentation anywhere.
That's not good at all :(

It'll be even worse when the thing starts going seriously wrong (like if one of those wires needs replacing).

I think brooky has offered the best solution so far.

That said, I'd personally be tempted to get BT out to install the thing properly because I doubt it's going to do what you want otherwise and there doesn't appear to be room for a home hub in that box (assuming there is even a nearby power socket).

If you don't mind me prying, what's the development called / who built it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom